Creating one .prc file from the app .prc and multiple .pdb files

Creating one .prc file from the app .prc and multiple .pdb files

Post by Jay Wardwe » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 01:54:56

Hi,
I have an application that I intend to distribute throughout my
organization.  Right now, it consists of one .prc file (the
application code) and 7 .pdb files.  Currently, if I email the files
the user has to double click on all 8 files so that they are loaded
into the user's HotSynch.  Is there a way to create one .prc file that
contains all eight files?  I thought the answer might be in the
PalmRez Post Linker but I couldn't make any headway with that.

Thanks
Jay

Creating one .prc file from the app .prc and multiple .pdb files

Post by Ben Combe » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 11:38:34

Quote:> I have an application that I intend to distribute throughout my
> organization.  Right now, it consists of one .prc file (the
> application code) and 7 .pdb files.  Currently, if I email the files
> the user has to double click on all 8 files so that they are loaded
> into the user's HotSynch.  Is there a way to create one .prc file that
> contains all eight files?  I thought the answer might be in the
> PalmRez Post Linker but I couldn't make any headway with that.

I wrote an article on this exact subject back in early 2002.  Read it at
http://www.palmoswerks.com/stories/storyReader$46 and take a moment to
look though the rest of the stories at my site -- you might find even
more answers!
--

CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead
Get help at http://palmoswerks.com/

Creating one .prc file from the app .prc and multiple .pdb files

Post by Jay Wardwe » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 04:15:25

Thanks Ben.  First, a general question about this strategy.  Won't the
database be created out of heap memory?  So I should only use this for
smaller databases, right?

So I was able to create a Rez file that stuffs my .pdb into the
application .prc (at least I think it works).  You mentioned in your
article (http://www.palmoswerks.com/stories/storyReader$46) that you
used DmCreateDatabaseFromImage to unpack the database.  I'm having
trouble with this - I'm not sure how to create the MemPtr that
DmCreateDatabaseFromImage needs as its argument.  How do I set the
MemPtr size?  How do I point it at the resource?

Thanks!

Post by u.. » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 06:11:25

> Thanks Ben.  First, a general question about this strategy.  Won't the
> database be created out of heap memory?  So I should only use this fo
> smaller databases, right?

No, using DmCreateDatabaseFromImage creates the DB on the storage heap.
  The only issue is that you will have two copies of the DB in memory --
the one serialized into you app's resources and the one created from
that resource.  If you don't need for users to beam the app around, you
can remove the original resource after its unpacked, leaving more
storage memory free.

Quote:> So I was able to create a Rez file that stuffs my .pdb into the
> application .prc (at least I think it works).  You mentioned in your
> article (http://www.palmoswerks.com/stories/storyReader$46) that you
> used DmCreateDatabaseFromImage to unpack the database.  I'm having
> trouble with this - I'm not sure how to create the MemPtr that
> DmCreateDatabaseFromImage needs as its argument.  How do I set the
> MemPtr size?  How do I point it at the resource?

DmGetResource will give you a MemHandle to the resource, then
MemLockHandle will give you a MemPtr.

1. What are prc-tools-binutils & prc-tools-gcc ?

I know this is not the most appropriate forum, but there's no gcc/palm
newsgroup.
FreeBSD 4.5 ports collection has the following.
(1) prc-tools
(2) prc-tools-binutils
(3) prc-tools-gcc
Do I need to install all three, or just the first one?  Why do you need the
second and the third?
Thanks in advance.

2. program memory problem on Windows CE

3. installing .prc and .pdb in POSE without using install menu item

4. SmartCAM V9 unlock software available

5. Creating multiple EXCEL File from one master file

6. Q: Find what is the Language of your OS ?

7. Fatal Exception while installing a PRC file

8. LW Pro630

9. Invalid PRC File

10. Install PRC files programmatically

11. format of prc files on pc (urgent)

12. [darrel@PRC.UNISYS.COM: Alto boot files]

13. How to embed another PRC into my app as a resource