Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

Post by nuzz » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 23:40:45

Has anyone come across this problem.  When I'm compiling on my mac (OS
X 10.2.4) I will get this from time to time and it's getting more
common.

Post by MW Ro » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:52:16

>Has anyone come across this problem.  When I'm compiling on my mac (OS
>X 10.2.4) I will get this from time to time and it's getting more
>common.

Have you updated to CodeWarrior 8.3  this used to happen with
CodeWarrior 8.0 due to a bug when randomly closing windows.

If you have the 5.1 IDE then more information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ron

--
       Migrate your PowerPlant Applications to Windows
    http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Services/OEM/default.htm

Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

Post by Michael Domin » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 04:21:39

nuzz,

This happens to me two or three times a day. Sometimes it will quit while
opening a project, and I can't get it to start without throwing away the
data directories so they get rebuilt. Sometimes that doesn't help and I
have to log out and back in again. Sometimes I get the spinning rainbow
blob of death and I have to force quit it. Sometimes I get the grey
screen of death and I actually have to reboot the machine (oh my god, the
System Was Affected). Sometimes, it rains.

Michael

> Has anyone come across this problem.  When I'm compiling on my mac (OS
> X 10.2.4) I will get this from time to time and it's getting more
> common.

Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

Post by Michael Domin » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 04:24:00

I forgot to mention I'm running 5.1.1 on 10.2.4. I also forgot to mention
that I would not trade it for any other ide, even Project Builder.

> nuzz,

> This happens to me two or three times a day. Sometimes it will quit while
> opening a project, and I can't get it to start without throwing away the
> data directories so they get rebuilt. Sometimes that doesn't help and I
> have to log out and back in again. Sometimes I get the spinning rainbow
> blob of death and I have to force quit it. Sometimes I get the grey
> screen of death and I actually have to reboot the machine (oh my god, the
> System Was Affected). Sometimes, it rains.

> Michael

> > Has anyone come across this problem.  When I'm compiling on my mac (OS
> > X 10.2.4) I will get this from time to time and it's getting more
> > common.

Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

Post by MW Ro » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 08:44:14

Quote:>nuzz,

>This happens to me two or three times a day. Sometimes it will quit while
>opening a project, and I can't get it to start without throwing away the
>data directories so they get rebuilt. Sometimes that doesn't help and I
>have to log out and back in again. Sometimes I get the spinning rainbow
>blob of death and I have to force quit it. Sometimes I get the grey
>screen of death and I actually have to reboot the machine (oh my god, the
>System Was Affected). Sometimes, it rains.

Weird  all I can think of is a preference file is screwed up or the 8.3
update is messed up.  You could try a clean installation.

Are you running from one of the UNIX file systems?  I think someone
reported problems with UFS or something.

--
       Migrate your PowerPlant Applications to Windows
    http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Services/OEM/default.htm

Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

Post by James W. Walke » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 14:15:01

I can't swear it's related to crashes, but I have the impression that
CodeWarrior is less stable when the classic environment is running.
I'm sure that at least once, CodeWarrior seemed frozen,  and quitting
Classic unfroze it.

Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

Post by Michael Domin » Mon, 03 Mar 2003 04:50:51

Ron,

I have installed twice, once before installing the December 2002 Developer
Tools and I did a clean install once again after (working on my
BuildLibraries problem). I am not running from a UNIX file system.

It's not a big deal, really, in the course of a day it usually just quits a
couple or three times, and debugging a shared library sometimes ceases to
work (the source code listing goes away in the Main Thread window), and
quitting and restarting cures that problem, so that's another thing I just
deal with.

I just thought I would mention my experiences.

Michael

> >nuzz,

> >This happens to me two or three times a day. Sometimes it will quit while
> >opening a project, and I can't get it to start without throwing away the
> >data directories so they get rebuilt. Sometimes that doesn't help and I
> >have to log out and back in again. Sometimes I get the spinning rainbow
> >blob of death and I have to force quit it. Sometimes I get the grey
> >screen of death and I actually have to reboot the machine (oh my god, the
> >System Was Affected). Sometimes, it rains.

> Weird  all I can think of is a preference file is screwed up or the 8.3
> update is messed up.  You could try a clean installation.

> Are you running from one of the UNIX file systems?  I think someone
> reported problems with UFS or something.

> >Michael

> >> Has anyone come across this problem.  When I'm compiling on my mac (OS
> >> X 10.2.4) I will get this from time to time and it's getting more
> >> common.

> --
>        Migrate your PowerPlant Applications to Windows
>     http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Services/OEM/default.htm

Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

Post by MW Ro » Mon, 03 Mar 2003 08:37:02

Quote:>I have installed twice, once before installing the December 2002 Developer
>Tools and I did a clean install once again after (working on my
>BuildLibraries problem). I am not running from a UNIX file system.

>It's not a big deal, really, in the course of a day it usually just quits a
>couple or three times, and debugging a shared library sometimes ceases to
>work (the source code listing goes away in the Main Thread window), and
>quitting and restarting cures that problem, so that's another thing I just
>deal with.

>I just thought I would mention my experiences.

It is a big deal we should not be doing that, and we want to fix it.  It
almost sounds like a buffer or memory leak or something.  It would be

saying you are seeing it.

If we aren't aware of these things they don't get fixed.  :(  I remember
a year or so ago someone was very upset that there was a bug and we
hadn't fixed it in years, these things start nagging until they are a
big deal.

Ron

--

Post by Chris Co » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 08:56:44

> >nuzz,

> >This happens to me two or three times a day. Sometimes it will quit while
> >opening a project, and I can't get it to start without throwing away the
> >data directories so they get rebuilt. Sometimes that doesn't help and I
> >have to log out and back in again. Sometimes I get the spinning rainbow
> >blob of death and I have to force quit it. Sometimes I get the grey
> >screen of death and I actually have to reboot the machine (oh my god, the
> >System Was Affected). Sometimes, it rains.

> Weird  all I can think of is a preference file is screwed up or the 8.3
> update is messed up.  You could try a clean installation.

Ron - could this be related to the "close a window and crash CW" bug?
(I've got only about 80 crash logs from that one)

Chris

Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

Post by Michael Domin » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 23:13:59

Ok, Ron, here is the bug that bugs me the most right now:

0. Boot into OS X.
1. Set De*() trap in a function in a 56 call-deep stack (One-based
counting from __start and including the function that calls De*()). Each
function call has 5 pointer parameters. The PPC Target stack size is set to
256k.
2. Start the program.
3. De*() is executed.
3. Main Thread Stack Pane only shows partial symbolic information! The bottom
10 calls (46-56) are shown only as addresses.

You can't step out, and you can't see where you are. Now:

0. Boot into OS 9.
1. Set De*() trap as above.
2. Start the program.
3. De*() is executed.
3. Main Thread Stack Pane shows complete symbolic information!

When this happens, I switch back to 9, fix the problem, then go back to X.
Thank goodness it's a CFM project, or I would not be able to do that and I
would be back to text logging to find my problem.

I will submit this bug right now.

Cheers,
Michael

> >I have installed twice, once before installing the December 2002 Developer
> >Tools and I did a clean install once again after (working on my
> >BuildLibraries problem). I am not running from a UNIX file system.

> >It's not a big deal, really, in the course of a day it usually just quits a
> >couple or three times, and debugging a shared library sometimes ceases to
> >work (the source code listing goes away in the Main Thread window), and
> >quitting and restarting cures that problem, so that's another thing I just
> >deal with.

> >I just thought I would mention my experiences.

> It is a big deal we should not be doing that, and we want to fix it.  It
> almost sounds like a buffer or memory leak or something.  It would be

> saying you are seeing it.

> If we aren't aware of these things they don't get fixed.  :(  I remember
> a year or so ago someone was very upset that there was a bug and we
> hadn't fixed it in years, these things start nagging until they are a
> big deal.

> Ron

> --
>        Migrate your PowerPlant Applications to Windows
>     http://www.veryComputer.com/

Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

Post by MW Ro » Thu, 06 Mar 2003 01:23:11

Quote:

>Ron - could this be related to the "close a window and crash CW" bug?
>(I've got only about 80 crash logs from that one)

Taking time on vacation...

This was fixed with  CW 8.3  if you still have the problems try doing a
fresh install and redoing the update.  Perhaps trash the Metrowerks
preferences too.

Ron

--

Post by Chris Co » Thu, 06 Mar 2003 15:03:16

> >Ron - could this be related to the "close a window and crash CW" bug?
> >(I've got only about 80 crash logs from that one)

> Taking time on vacation...

> This was fixed with  CW 8.3  if you still have the problems try doing a
> fresh install and redoing the update.  Perhaps trash the Metrowerks
> preferences too.

Did that a few times, and did an install on a clean machine -- same
crash.  And we're all seeing it in 8.3.

Again, I've got LOTS of crash logs from this (typically twice a day).

Chris