CW8.3 has become unusable

CW8.3 has become unusable

Post by Walter Hun » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:29:46



        CW is driving me crazy. I'm working on a *large* project, with many many
libraries/plugins/etc. built by subprojects.

        1. The last subproject I added screws up debugging if I select a target
to be built. If I click on the subproject target circle under the
"Targets" pane, debugging hangs on the main project (note that the main
project doesn't link to the subproject output - the subproject just builds
some plugins). If I unclick the target circle, I can debug again.

        2. CW seems to have serious problems with files that somehow have
differently cased file names in the project from what MacOSX has on disk.
(Our projects have grown/updated/etc. since at least CW5 while I've been
here, so there is a lot of old *that's just been carried forward.) If
I change a file in the main project that is one of these differently-cased
files, I always get errors about "Invalid modification date" if I step in
or break in that file.

        3. Modification dates are seriously hosed. I mean seriously. It was a
minor irritation for a long time, but as of the last couple of days it is
totally screwed. If I change a file in a subproject that the main project
links with, then debug (doing a build-before-run always), I get the
"Invalid modification date" message whenever I get into those files. This
has been happening fairly constantly since I changed the project type from
Application to Application Package.

        The only workaround I have for the modification date problems is to close
CW and reopen it. Since the project is *hoooge*, this is a major
impediment to getting work done.

        4. Codewarrior doesn't seem to notice when, for example, CVS modifies
files behind its back. This is a minor irritation.

        5. Debug a shared library by pulling in the .xSYM file. Kill the program.
Change something in the library, re-build, debug. On my machine I can't
debug properly unless I close the Symbolics window before I re-build the
library. Seems like a case of, once again, not noticing the file has
changed (none of the symbols will match the second time).

        Obviously, something is hosed with my system. If these problems were
widespread, Metrowerks would have burned to the ground by now. But WHAT?
What can I check, change, remove, re-install to get CW to work the way it
is supposed to? I'm running OSX 10.2.5 on a 800MHz G4 with 512MB ram, I've
already tried removing and re-installing CW, I've got everything updated
to 8.3, did the BuildLibraries, which worked without error, etc., etc.
This is driving me nuts.

--
Walter Hunt

 
 
 

CW8.3 has become unusable

Post by Paul Russel » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:36:26


[tale of woe snipped]

Quote:

>    4. Codewarrior doesn't seem to notice when, for example, CVS modifies
> files behind its back. This is a minor irritation.

Commiserations.

The only small contribution I can make is to suggest that you turn off
"Use modification date caching" under "Build Extras".

Paul

 
 
 

CW8.3 has become unusable

Post by MW Ro » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:34:53




Quote:>    CW is driving me crazy. I'm working on a *large* project, with many many
>libraries/plugins/etc. built by subprojects.

>    1. The last subproject I added screws up debugging if I select a target
>to be built. If I click on the subproject target circle under the
>"Targets" pane, debugging hangs on the main project (note that the main
>project doesn't link to the subproject output - the subproject just builds
>some plugins). If I unclick the target circle, I can debug again.

If you could export the project to XML and or remove the object code and
send the project to us we'd look at it.

Quote:>    2. CW seems to have serious problems with files that somehow have
>differently cased file names in the project from what MacOSX has on disk.
>(Our projects have grown/updated/etc. since at least CW5 while I've been
>here, so there is a lot of old *that's just been carried forward.) If
>I change a file in the main project that is one of these differently-cased
>files, I always get errors about "Invalid modification date" if I step in
>or break in that file.

I haven't seen this reported before I'll report this as a bug.

Quote:>    3. Modification dates are seriously hosed. I mean seriously. It was a
>minor irritation for a long time, but as of the last couple of days it is
>totally screwed. If I change a file in a subproject that the main project
>links with, then debug (doing a build-before-run always), I get the
>"Invalid modification date" message whenever I get into those files. This
>has been happening fairly constantly since I changed the project type from
>Application to Application Package.

are you using a version control system  that might be hosing them.

Quote:>    The only workaround I have for the modification date problems is to close
>CW and reopen it. Since the project is *hoooge*, this is a major
>impediment to getting work done.

it could be a cache is screwed up

Quote:>    4. Codewarrior doesn't seem to notice when, for example, CVS modifies
>files behind its back. This is a minor irritation.

usually people complain about the different item.

Quote:>    5. Debug a shared library by pulling in the .xSYM file. Kill the program.
>Change something in the library, re-build, debug. On my machine I can't
>debug properly unless I close the Symbolics window before I re-build the
>library. Seems like a case of, once again, not noticing the file has
>changed (none of the symbols will match the second time).

I will report this as well as the other things and see if we can
reproduce it.

Quote:>    Obviously, something is hosed with my system. If these problems were
>widespread, Metrowerks would have burned to the ground by now. But WHAT?
>What can I check, change, remove, re-install to get CW to work the way it
>is supposed to? I'm running OSX 10.2.5 on a 800MHz G4 with 512MB ram, I've
>already tried removing and re-installing CW, I've got everything updated
>to 8.3, did the BuildLibraries, which worked without error, etc., etc.
>This is driving me nuts.

Did you trash CodeWarrior preferences in the ~/library/Metrowerks

It very well could be a cache is corrupted although I'm not sure that is
it.  I'd also try trashing the data folder before opening the project,
just in case.  

it would be useful to have something to send to the engineers to look at.

Ron

--
           Metrowerks has moved, our new address is now
                     7700 West Parmer Lane
                       Austin, TX 78729
        Sales and Support 512-996-5300   800-377-5416    

 
 
 

1. Unusable bitmap does not become usable after CtlShowControl

On my form I have a bitmap which is supposed to become visible when the
user does something.

In the resource (Constructor) I have unchecked the usable flag, and as
expected the bitmap is not drawn. However when I go to make it visible
with CtlShowControl it does not appear, not even if I also do a
CtlDrawControl.

I also tried CtlSetUsable(ctl, true) followed by a CtlDrawControl.

I know that some Palm UI items are not controls, like the field, but I
thought bitmaps were of that type. In any case I could not find any
bitmap specific calls to make it visible.

Can anyone shed light on this ?

Kent

2. Catalog Error - Component Services

3. Cross-Platform development with CW8-Win and CW8 Palm?

4. DisplayInfo.PaletteRange

5. having trouble w/ having clause...

6. Epson 1650 advice

7. Canonscan N122U Virtually Unusable Under VueScan

8. Refreshing a databound comboBox after data update

9. VueScan: Unusable Infrared Clean with FS4000

10. sdform makes disk unusable - 0 usable sectors!

11. My IBM 20.5 GO Is suddendly unusable ?!!!

12. MSN in Madison virtually unusable before midnight

13. DII senseless/unusable with VBroker 3.3