Announcing Kermit 95 1.1.14 for Windows 95, Windows NT, and OS/2

Announcing Kermit 95 1.1.14 for Windows 95, Windows NT, and OS/2

Post by Frank da Cr » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Kermit 95 1.1.14 is now available as a patch to Kermit 95 for Windows 95,
Windows NT, and OS/2.  This patch fixes bugs in the previous version,
1.1.13, and adds lots of new features.  See comp.protocols.kermit.announce,
or the Kermit 95 web page:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html

- Frank

Post by d.. » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: Kermit 95 1.1.14 is now available as a patch to Kermit 95 for Windows 95,

As I wait for my patch download to complete, I did a Zip of the K95
directory, which makes me wonder how much of this I should delete.
Obviously the *.rtp files from all of the old patches could go away, and
most of the *.exe archives of the patches.

I recall a problem with "temp" files not going away, but I forget the
extensions.  I have 147 files in the K95 tree, occupying 14.8MB.

Some of the files, like the extra modems and whatnot, could be compressed
or deleted, but I am more interested in tossing the stuff that really
needn't be there, generically.

Some of the things, like "patch.exe" could have been removed by the upgrade
that added patchdos.exe, although that is only 60k, as opposed to the 1MB+
files for each of the patch levels.

--
---

                - Pope Valley & Napa CA.

Post by Frank da Cr » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

:
: : Kermit 95 1.1.14 is now available as a patch to Kermit 95 for Windows 95,
:
: As I wait for my patch download to complete, I did a Zip of the K95
: directory, which makes me wonder how much of this I should delete.
: Obviously the *.rtp files from all of the old patches could go away, and
: most of the *.exe archives of the patches.
:
: I recall a problem with "temp" files not going away, but I forget the
: extensions.  I have 147 files in the K95 tree, occupying 14.8MB.
:
Well, there is the backup directory, which lets you back off from the most
recent patch, but it's always a good idea to hang on to that one for a week
or so after a new release in case something bad turns up.

The problem with non-vanishing temporary files was fixed in 1.1.12.
Theoretically, whatever you find in your TEMP directories (those pointed to
by your TMP and/or TEMP environment variables) can go.  Kermit's temporary
files (those created by the Dialer itself) generally have long cryptic names,
and if you still have any of them, the dates should be quite passe.

: Some of the files, like the extra modems and whatnot, could be compressed
: or deleted, but I am more interested in tossing the stuff that really
: needn't be there, generically.
:
: Some of the things, like "patch.exe" could have been removed by the upgrade
: that added patchdos.exe, although that is only 60k, as opposed to the 1MB+
: files for each of the patch levels.
:
You can actually toss all the old patch remnants except the most recent
backup; if necessary you can always re-download old patches from the Kermit
archive.

- Frank

1. Announcing Kermit 95 1.1.13 for Windows 95, Windows NT, and OS/2

Kermit 95 1.1.13 is now available as a patch to previous Kermit 95 releases
for Windows 95, Windows NT, and OS/2.  This patch fixes a few minor bugs in
the recently-announced 1.1.12, and adds:

 . DDE messages to Web browsers and other apps (Windows only)
 . DEC PATHWORKS support for Windows (OS/2 already had it)
 . Bidirectional printer ports
 . Array initializers

The first item provides a way for URL hotspots (added in 1.1.12) to invoke
your currently loaded browser, rather than always starting a new copy, and
also to invoke other applications by Ctrl-clicking on filenames, etc.  This
works only in Windows 95 and NT systems that have all the right Microsoft
DLLs, and so is not the default; to use this feature, read section 3.12 of
DOCS\UPDATES.DOC.

All the bugs that were reported in 1.1.12 are fixed.

HOW TO GET IT

Kermit 95 1.1.13 is available as a patch to version 1.1.12 or earlier.
Current registered users of Kermit 95 can download the 1.1.13 upgrade patch
from our BBS or from our Web site:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95patch.html

or with ftp:

  ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/k95/patches/

All the new features are documented in the updated UPDATES.TXT file that
comes in the patch, and the bug fixes are detailed in the updated BUGS.TXT
file.  Please send reports of any difficulty with the patches by email to:

Frank da Cruz
The Kermit Project
Columbia University

2. Q: maximum allowed connections on any given port

3. Announcing Kermit 95 1.1.12 for Windows 95, Windows NT, and OS/2

4. Anybody? .... Render usercontrol to string

5. Kermit 95 1.1.14 adds QNX terminal emulation

6. More on ISA cards / Flashlite 186 SBC

7. Kermit 95: A Telnet Server for Windows 95 (and NT)

8. $$$ EARN A LOOOOT OF MONEY EASILY :))))))))))

9. Announcing Kermit 95 for Windows NT PowerPC Edition

10. Object Studio 5.0 for Windows 95 announced with Microsoft Launch 95

11. Windows 95 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers Part 14 of 14

12. Pre-announcing Kermit for Windows 95

13. ANNOUNCE: TraceMate for Mac or Windows 95/NT