Script question

Post by Dallas Leg » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

To interface with my Los Angeles FreeNet (LAFN) account,
using their menuing system, I've written a set MS-DOS Kermit
Scripts to emulate the presence of a Kermit
server at the other end my connection with the Freenet BBS/eMail
account.  Part of the purpose is to provide a command line
interface, opposed to the normal menu interface they provide,
and also to provide a mechanism for writing scripts to interface
with LAFN that will be portable across operating systems I might use.
(LAFN has decided they will no longer make changes to the BBS side of
their operation).

I have to uniformly prefix the names of most of the scripts with an
arbitrarily chosen character (I've chosen 'f' for FreeNet), to
distinguish them from the already existing Kermit commands.
For examples, fremote, fsend, fget, fmail, instead of remote, send, get,
mail etc.

My question is, is there any way to get these scripts to override the
normal Kermit commands, so there would no longer be any need to use
the prefixing character?

While still under developement, I'm past the main hump on this project,
and would be glad to show these to any one interested, either for their
own use, or to critique them.

TIA & Regards,
Dallas E. Legan

(310) 862 - 4854 ext. '*'

Script question

Post by Frank da Cr » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: ...
: My question is, is there any way to get these scripts to override the
: normal Kermit commands, so there would no longer be any need to use
: the prefixing character?
:
If you give a macro the same name as a built-in command, you have to use
the "do" command to invoke it, e.g.:

  define send blah blah blah ...
  do send foo.bar

- Frank

Script question

Post by Joe Doupn » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> To interface with my Los Angeles FreeNet (LAFN) account,
> using their menuing system, I've written a set MS-DOS Kermit
> Scripts to emulate the presence of a Kermit
> server at the other end my connection with the Freenet BBS/eMail
> account.  Part of the purpose is to provide a command line
> interface, opposed to the normal menu interface they provide,
> and also to provide a mechanism for writing scripts to interface
> with LAFN that will be portable across operating systems I might use.
> (LAFN has decided they will no longer make changes to the BBS side of
> their operation).

> I have to uniformly prefix the names of most of the scripts with an
> arbitrarily chosen character (I've chosen 'f' for FreeNet), to
> distinguish them from the already existing Kermit commands.
> For examples, fremote, fsend, fget, fmail, instead of remote, send, get,
> mail etc.

> My question is, is there any way to get these scripts to override the
> normal Kermit commands, so there would no longer be any need to use
> the prefixing character?

        No, there isn't. The internal commands are always present and
cannot be removed nor overwritten by macros of the same name.
        Joe D.

> While still under developement, I'm past the main hump on this project,
> and would be glad to show these to any one interested, either for their
> own use, or to critique them.

> TIA & Regards,
> Dallas E. Legan

> (310) 862 - 4854 ext. '*'

1. Visual Basic Script Question

Hello everybody.
My apologies if this is the incorrect newsgroup for this type of question.
If there is another newsgroup better suited towards the type of question I
am asking, please direct me there.

I have one Excel Visual Basic question that I hope somebody can answer.
I am importing a listing of parts to be sorted.  To do this, I am using the
Workbooks.OpenText command that follows:
        Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=PartList, Origin:= _
        xlWindows, StartRow:=15, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier _
        :=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, _
        Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=False, _
        FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 1), Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1), Array(4, 1),
_
        Array(5, 1), Array(6, 1), Array(7, 1), Array(8, 1), Array(9, 1), _
        Array(10, 1), Array(11, 1), Array(12, 1))

The problem that I'm experiencing arises when one of the imported parts
(cells) has a value similar to a date.  For instance, when I try to import
the part number 9091-05-01, Excel recognizes it as a valid date code and
translates it to 5/1/9091.  My question is how do I 'trick' Excel into
keeping the correct value?  I know that when manually entering in a value,
you can precede the value with a tick mark ', but I don't see a way of doing
that within the confines of the above command.  I have also tried to format
each cell as "Text" before doing the import, and that does not seem to solve
the problem either.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can give.

Jason

2. Contact list disappearing

3. Lotus Script Question

4. W2K AS SP3: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

5. Scripting Question - Archiving with variable in the file name ie <variable>.zip

6. Looking for advice on a peer to peer network

7. RAR scripts question

8. Exchange Server 5.5

9. Build Script Question

10. a script question

11. Vim script question

12. Vim script question: Howto move comments to top of page

13. sed scripting question