how to change charting defaults?

Post by T. Bear » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:40:00

Hi, I have just been made aware that this group exists, and I am going
to start keeping up with it.

I am using SPSS 11.5 for Windows.
I would like to permanently change some of the charting defaults, but
I haven't been able to figure out how to do this yet.

Here's an example of what I want to do:
I run a simple bar chart, comparing the means in two different groups.
The output is two red bars.
I know how to get into the chart editor, and how to change the color
and have the means show up inside the bars (changing bar label style
to standard).

Is there a way to permanently change the defaults for the color and to
get standard labeling? And to change the scale so that the I get 2
digits behind the decimal rather than a whole number?

Thanks for any help.

Post by Bruce Weave » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:17:02

> Hi, I have just been made aware that this group exists, and I am going
> to start keeping up with it.

> I am using SPSS 11.5 for Windows.
> I would like to permanently change some of the charting defaults, but
> I haven't been able to figure out how to do this yet.

> Here's an example of what I want to do:
> I run a simple bar chart, comparing the means in two different groups.
> The output is two red bars.
> I know how to get into the chart editor, and how to change the color
> and have the means show up inside the bars (changing bar label style
> to standard).

> Is there a way to permanently change the defaults for the color and to
> get standard labeling? And to change the scale so that the I get 2
> digits behind the decimal rather than a whole number?

> Thanks for any help.

Hi.  AFAIK, the only way to do this is to create a graph,
open the chart editor and make the changes you want, then
save it as a Chart Template.  Next time you make a graph of
the same sort, apply the template.  You should be able to
find some info on this in the help files.

Cheers,
Bruce
--
Bruce Weaver