Newbie question: how to exclude cases in certain questions

Newbie question: how to exclude cases in certain questions

Post by Elin Sigurdardott » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:11:06

Hello my name is Elin and I am working with SPSS.11
I was wondering if anyone knows how to exclude certain cases when
workin with a variable. I am doing a survey and in some places
subjects have to skip some questions...what is the best way to exclude
them without it becoming a missing value?

Post by Bruce Weave » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:07:09

> Hello my name is Elin and I am working with SPSS.11
> I was wondering if anyone knows how to exclude certain cases when
> workin with a variable. I am doing a survey and in some places
> subjects have to skip some questions...what is the best way to exclude
> them without it becoming a missing value?

Hi Elin.  Do you mean in the context of a regression
analysis, for example, where some people may have skipped a
question that is one of your key predictor variables?  In
that case, they would be dropped from the analysis if they
had missing data on any of the predictors.

If this is what you mean, one method for handling the
missign data (described in the Cohen & Cohen book on
regression analysis) is to create a flag for valid/missing
data, and include the flag as well as the question itself.
Dave Howell has a nice discussion of this approach on his
website (watch out for wrap-around of the URL):

http://www.uvm.edu/~dhowell/StatPages/More_Stuff/Missing_Data/Missing...

HTH.
Cheers,
Bruce
--
Bruce Weaver

www.angelfire.com/wv/bwhomedir/

Newbie question: how to exclude cases in certain questions

Post by Elin Sigurdardott » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:09:47

I was thinking about questions that subjects are supposed to skip
beacouse of the design of the questionaire...if you answered no to
question 3 proceed to question 6...how am I then to enter these
individuals for questions 4 and 5?

Elin

Post by Bruce Weave » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:08:02

> I was thinking about questions that subjects are supposed to skip
> beacouse of the design of the questionaire...if you answered no to
> question 3 proceed to question 6...how am I then to enter these
> individuals for questions 4 and 5?

> Elin

For folks who are not supposed to answer questions 4 and 5,
I would enter a numeric code that stands for "Not
applicable".  When dealing with 5 or 7-point scales, I use 8
for "not applicable" and 9 for "missing", and define both as
"missing values", as follows:

val lab q4 q5
  8 '8- N/A'
  9 '9- Missing'.
miss val q4 q5 (8 9).

Hope this helps.
Bruce
--
Bruce Weaver

www.angelfire.com/wv/bwhomedir/

Newbie question: how to exclude cases in certain questions

Post by Elin Sigurdardott » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:51:44

Thank You Bruce!
I did not want to mix together those who were truly missing and those
who where not supposed to answer

Elin

1. Excluding certain days from timer on X-10 Smarthome?

I've set up my system to turn my stereo on each weekday.

I'd like to exclude certain days (such as ML King Day,
Memorial Day, etc.).

Is there any easy way to do this?  It seems they ought to
have set up the software to pop up a calendar, then let
people click the days they want, but it doesn't work that
way.

Any ideas?

2. Any Batch Conversion from AmiPro to Word Pro ?

3. newbie questions.-MSN newbie

4. problem with % relay after updating to sendmail 8.12.7

5. PhAB newbie question (very newbie)

6. The (non-existant) FAQ

7. Add-ins question

8. Need Epson setup/referance disk for Apex 200\40

9. Question: Eudora 3.0 plug-ins for Win 95

10. `Lords of Chaos' question and hunting AA 80 Type-ins

11. Newbie: How to find all cells with a certain value

12. newbie - AR 5. plug-ins

13. Questions, questions, questions