SPSS XML, spss-ml.DTD, PMML, document type declarations

SPSS XML, spss-ml.DTD, PMML, document type declarations

Post by Tia » Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:59:43

Hi all

I am storing information from SPSS data files in a XML database.
My data structure is similar to what is in the version10 spss-ml.dtd (variable
and model elements) so I thought I may as well conform to what SPSS is using. Is
the version 10 spss-ml.dtd still a valid document model? Is SPSS using PMML?
(PMML link: http://www.dmg.org)

Also, I hear that SPSS will be introducing XML support in the next version. Will
it use XML files using this document type? Will it save output as PMML / XML?

Any info appreciated, thanks in advance.

SPSS XML, spss-ml.DTD, PMML, document type declarations

Post by Tia » Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:54:44

Quote:> Hi all

> I am storing information from SPSS data files in a XML database.
> My data structure is similar to what is in the version10 spss-ml.dtd (variable
> and model elements) so I thought I may as well conform to what SPSS is using.
Is
> the version 10 spss-ml.dtd still a valid document model? Is SPSS using PMML?
> (PMML link: http://www.dmg.org)

> Also, I hear that SPSS will be introducing XML support in the next version.
Will
> it use XML files using this document type? Will it save output as PMML / XML?

> Any info appreciated, thanks in advance.

me again,
Does anyone have a clue what I am talking about?
Does anyone know what the file 'spss-ml.dtd' is for?
Is it included in versions 11 and 12 ?
ta

SPSS XML, spss-ml.DTD, PMML, document type declarations

Post by Matt » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:42:55

Hi Tia,

I came to this group to try and answer this and a few other questions.
Alas you may find that there are few spss users that appear to know
about DTD.

I came in looking for scripting tips, so if you know where I can go to,
that would be much appreciated...

Matthew

>>Hi all

>>I am storing information from SPSS data files in a XML database.
>>My data structure is similar to what is in the version10 spss-ml.dtd (variable
>>and model elements) so I thought I may as well conform to what SPSS is using.

> Is

>>the version 10 spss-ml.dtd still a valid document model? Is SPSS using PMML?
>>(PMML link: http://www.dmg.org)

>>Also, I hear that SPSS will be introducing XML support in the next version.

> Will

>>it use XML files using this document type? Will it save output as PMML / XML?

>>Any info appreciated, thanks in advance.

> me again,
> Does anyone have a clue what I am talking about?
> Does anyone know what the file 'spss-ml.dtd' is for?
> Is it included in versions 11 and 12 ?
> ta

SPSS XML, spss-ml.DTD, PMML, document type declarations

Post by Arthur J. Kendal » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:37:50

Raynald's invaluable site
http://pages.infinit.net/rlevesqu/
gives a lot of tips for syntax, macros, and scripts

Art

Social Research Consultants
University Park, MD USA
(301) 864-5570

> Hi Tia,

> I came to this group to try and answer this and a few other questions.
> Alas you may find that there are few spss users that appear to know
> about DTD.

> I came in looking for scripting tips, so if you know where I can go to,
> that would be much appreciated...

> Matthew

>>> Hi all

>>> I am storing information from SPSS data files in a XML database.
>>> My data structure is similar to what is in the version10 spss-ml.dtd
>>> (variable
>>> and model elements) so I thought I may as well conform to what SPSS
>>> is using.

>> Is

>>> the version 10 spss-ml.dtd still a valid document model? Is SPSS
>>> using PMML?
>>> (PMML link: http://www.dmg.org)

>>> Also, I hear that SPSS will be introducing XML support in the next
>>> version.

>> Will

>>> it use XML files using this document type? Will it save output as
>>> PMML / XML?

>>> Any info appreciated, thanks in advance.

>> me again,
>> Does anyone have a clue what I am talking about?
>> Does anyone know what the file 'spss-ml.dtd' is for?
>> Is it included in versions 11 and 12 ?
>> ta

SPSS XML, spss-ml.DTD, PMML, document type declarations

Post by Tia » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 02:15:56

Quote:> Hi Tia,

> I came to this group to try and answer this and a few other questions.
> Alas you may find that there are few spss users that appear to know
> about DTD.

> I came in looking for scripting tips, so if you know where I can go to,
> that would be much appreciated...

> Matthew

Hi Matty,
Thanks for at least showing an interest :-)
Raynald's site is very good for a variety of scripting needs and examples. You
should also get this if it seems relevant:
http://www.spss.com/tech/downloads/developer.htm
And there are also a few very knowledgeable people loitering in the background
here should you require anything in particular, well almost anything.
is your clock wrong?
tia

1. Sharing models, PMML, XML, what's the story?

Hello,

I'm investigating how analysts/modelers "share" models.  How does one
export a SAS model?  How does one import a SAS model?  Is it simply a
matter of sharing source code and data sets and re-running the model?
I've read a bit about XML and PMML but the documentation for SAS 8.2
says the support for these markup languages is "experimental".  When I
look at the a model (the output of a SAS program) I see things like
coefficients and intercepts but the transformations are in the source
code.  So, how does one get the entire picture?

I've also been looking at how the same tasks
(sharing/importing/exporting) are dealt with in SPSS and S-PLUS.  SPSS
seems to have embraced PMML and even helped in the specification.

Bottom line:  PMML seems to be the evolving standard for sharing
certain kinds of models but are the big statistical packages offering
full PMML import/export support?  I can't find a definitive answer.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Thank you,

Don Muldoon
Veridiem Inc.

2. Best way to Delete an Account?

3. Generating Random XML Testdata from DTD and dataset?

4. ANN: Pre-order your new iPAQ H3800 or Jornada 560 Series

5. CORBA IDL to XML DTD

6. Start menu will not sort alphabetically

7. XML/SGML DTD for LR,SLR,LALR

8. toner cartridges and SIMMS for HP LJ4M+

9. XML/XSL Transformation of external XML Documents in DCTM WebPublisher

10. Datawindow type declarations

11. Declarations processing and type checking

12. xconvert and xml-ddi (sas,spss,stata)