IGraph Bar Chart Error bars - WMF export

IGraph Bar Chart Error bars - WMF export

Post by UConn 190 » Fri, 31 May 2002 23:14:35

When I export IGraph (spss 11.0.1) bar charts with error bars using WMF file
format, the error bars within the bars do not show. In other formats, the
error bars appear, but of course, rotated text becomes jagged in other
formats. Instead of trying to explain this further, here are two links to
exported files...

WMF version:
http://sp.uconn.edu/~pratt/ERRORBAR0.WMF

JPG version:
http://sp.uconn.edu/~pratt/ERRORJPG0.JPG

How can I fix this? If this is an unresolved bug in SPSS 11.0.1, has anyone
found a solution for creating export graphs from spss that can be used in
word and pass APA formatting guidelines?

NB - the display of the graph in spss itself shows the error bars correctly.

Post by Bill Edward » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 06:46:40

>When I export IGraph (spss 11.0.1) bar charts with error bars using WMF file
>format, the error bars within the bars do not show. In other formats, the
>error bars appear, but of course, rotated text becomes jagged in other
>formats. Instead of trying to explain this further, here are two links to
>exported files...

>WMF version:
>http://sp.uconn.edu/~pratt/ERRORBAR0.WMF

>JPG version:
>http://sp.uconn.edu/~pratt/ERRORJPG0.JPG

>How can I fix this? If this is an unresolved bug in SPSS 11.0.1, has anyone
>found a solution for creating export graphs from spss that can be used in
>word and pass APA formatting guidelines?

>NB - the display of the graph in spss itself shows the error bars correctly.

I assume that the JPG picture is OK but you'd like the graph in WMF
format? Assuming that Paint Shop Pro or Corel Draw can't help, I
posted a thread in the Powerpoint usenet group a few days ago about
raster images and discovered a package called Algolab Photo Vector
which can be downloaded as a 10 day trial version (1.11 Mb) from here

http://www.algolab.com/downloads.htm

One useful thing about using APV is that the WMF can actually be
ungrouped in Office for transition purposes, just using a PSP or CD
converted WMF doesn't do this.

HTH, if not let me know what you're after and I'll post a reply
tomorrow when I'm back at my desk with SPSS on my work PC.

Bill

IGraph Bar Chart Error bars - WMF export

Post by UConn 190 » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 01:45:32

I tried the APV program you suggested, but I can't ungroup the error bars to
move their layer position to the top :\. I tried to ungroup the image in
Word as well and as soon as I transform the picture to a object that can be
ungrouped for layering, the image itself becomes completely mutilated. APV
will help me with another situation, though, Bill. Thanks for that pointer!

I'm just looking to get the wmf to look like the jpg from spss, really,
since I have many of them to do. I tried the spss/wmf-on.bat file to no
avail as well. SPSS Tech soup hasn't responded yet either.

[clip]

Quote:> >WMF version:
> >http://sp.uconn.edu/~pratt/ERRORBAR0.WMF

> >JPG version:
> >http://sp.uconn.edu/~pratt/ERRORJPG0.JPG

> >How can I fix this? If this is an unresolved bug in SPSS 11.0.1, has

anyone

[clip]

Quote:> raster images and discovered a package called Algolab Photo Vector
> which can be downloaded as a 10 day trial version (1.11 Mb) from here

> http://www.algolab.com/downloads.htm

> One useful thing about using APV is that the WMF can actually be
> ungrouped in Office for transition purposes, just using a PSP or CD
> converted WMF doesn't do this.

IGraph Bar Chart Error bars - WMF export

Post by UConn 190 » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 02:51:57

Following is some syntax to recreate the bar graph with error bars to
demonstrate what I am talking about. By default, error bars and the bars
themselves are both red, so you do not see the entire error bar. This syntax
uses an alternate format for the graph. Try to copy/paste (or wmf export)
the graph into Word or Wordpad and notice the error bars.

DATA LIST LIST /ID bara barb barc.
BEGIN DATA
1 84 84 25
2 25 45 98
3 46 27 85
4 52 28 74
5 78 12 36
6 36 32 54
7 45 59 12
8 86 36 56
9 25 23 23
10 23 34 58
END DATA.
LIST.

IGRAPH
/VIEWNAME='Bar Chart'
/X1 = VAR(category_set1) TYPE = CATEGORICAL
/Y = VAR(value_set1) TYPE = SCALE
/COORDINATE = VERTICAL
/COMBINE GROUP=VAR(category_set1) TYPE=CATEGORICAL 'Category'
RESPONSE=VAR(value_set1) TYPE=SCALE 'Value' VAR(bara) 'Bar A' VAR(barb)
'Bar'+
' B' VAR(barc) 'Bar C' /TITLE='Bar Chart Title' /SUBTITLE='Bar Chart'+
' Subtitle' /CAPTION='Bar Chart Caption' /X1LENGTH=3.0 /YLENGTH=3.0
/X2LENGTH=3.0
/CHARTLOOK='C:\Program Files\SPSS\Looks\Grayscale.clo'
/CATORDER VAR(category_set1) (ASCENDING VALUES OMITEMPTY)
/BAR(MEAN) KEY=ON
SHAPE = RECTANGLE BASELINE = AUTO /ERRORBAR SE(1.0) DIRECTION = BOTH
CAPWIDTH (45) CAPSTYLE = T.

> >When I export IGraph (spss 11.0.1) bar charts with error bars using WMF
file
> >format, the error bars within the bars do not show. In other formats, the
> >error bars appear, but of course, rotated text becomes jagged in other
> >formats. Instead of trying to explain this further, here are two links to
> >exported files...

[clip]

1. <?>How to make bar charts w/ error bars in QPRO 6.0

This is a second try - the posting software has some quirks that I seldom
seem to remember.

If you have figured out how to make bar charts w/ error bars (or standard
deviation bars), I would appreciate your insight.  The documentation
mentions candle charts, ie. a bar chart w/small line (candle) arising
from the bar top.  This won't do.  The help menu is silent.  An icon for
combination graphs shows the type of graph I'm trying to construct.

            ____|____
            |   |   |
            |   |   |
            |   |   |
            |       |
            |       |
            |_______|

Please email your responses directly to me.  Thanks in advance.
Sandra Palm

2. Memory Channel support

3. Excel: Width of bars in a bar chart

4. ETL informatica $$$$ tech screen today $$$$ sudheer_a@techwavenet.com $$$$$$

5. Bold text (one bar only) on axis in horizontal bar chart - help required

6. SoundsGood MP3 module and Macintosh?

7. Excel bar chart- each bar running between a pair of dates

8. How to support mobile IP and tunneling?

9. Subject: ordering bars in bar chart by mean?

10. ordering bars in bar chart by mean?

11. Decrease the gap between bars in Bar Chart

12. bar with error bars

13. Error Bars on Bar Graphs?