Custom tables thru syntax?

Post by Marc Gamerof » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am running a large batch job and would like to customize the output
(mostly Frequencies tables and Crosstab tables) in SPSS Windows version
8.0.2. My problem is: I don't want to have to do anything interactive
(e.g., in the output viewer) after the job runs; I want to be able to
run the batch job and send the output to printer right away.

Is there any way to accomplish the output customization in syntax
commands? For example, can I write a command to suppress the Case
Processing Summary table that is output automatically with every
Crosstab command? Can I change data cell formats? (And is there a manual
that covers the syntax?)

Perhaps I need the SPSS Tables module to be able to do what I want, but
I'm hoping that's not the case, because I'm in a rush for a solution
that will work with my current setup (SPSS for Windows version 8.0.2
[Base, Advanced, Professional, and Trends modules]). Thanks for all responses.

-Marc Gameroff

Custom tables thru syntax?

Post by Tim Daciu » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Use SPSS Production Mode.  There is a tick box there for automatically
printing your output file.

Tim

Custom tables thru syntax?

Post by Gene » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

(1) If you want to customize the format of a Pivot Table, TableLook (chapter
9 page 174 in the user's guide) and scripting facility might help (chapter
52 ).

(2) There are some sample script files provided by the software. One of them
called "Delete Navigator Items.sbs" (can be found in
C:/programfiles/spss/scripts/starter or where your SPSS is installed), it
can help you to get rid of the items you don't want (log, note,...based on
item's type or label...).

(3) There is a Syntax Guide sold separately. But there is a also electronic
version (.pdf format) on your SPSS CD-ROM (free). You can print it out.

Gene

>I am running a large batch job and would like to customize the output
>(mostly Frequencies tables and Crosstab tables) in SPSS Windows version
>8.0.2. My problem is: I don't want to have to do anything interactive
>(e.g., in the output viewer) after the job runs; I want to be able to
>run the batch job and send the output to printer right away.

>Is there any way to accomplish the output customization in syntax
>commands? For example, can I write a command to suppress the Case
>Processing Summary table that is output automatically with every
>Crosstab command? Can I change data cell formats? (And is there a manual
>that covers the syntax?)

>Perhaps I need the SPSS Tables module to be able to do what I want, but
>I'm hoping that's not the case, because I'm in a rush for a solution
>that will work with my current setup (SPSS for Windows version 8.0.2
>[Base, Advanced, Professional, and Trends modules]). Thanks for all

>-Marc Gameroff

1. Tables of Frequencies in Custom Tables

I want to show in one table the frequencies of 11 variables who have
all the same categories. I tried to use in Custom Tables the Table of
Frequencies procedure (and syntax). It produces either counts or
percentages or both. I would like to have more control over what to
show in the table. I want for the categories only percentages and for
the total at the bottom the total percentage and the number of cases
(N=...). Is this possible and how?

Thanks in advance!

Tjitze van Dijk

2. Using DEVCON4 CD as NFS mounted drive: HOW

3. help with table within a table syntax???

4. _Windows 98 Laptop

5. No Syntax highlight in vim thru telnet

6. whose line is it anyway is on!!

7. Drill thru to pivot table data

8. Eiffel for embedded realtime programming ?

9. Can't Update Table Created Thru Pipeline

10. custom syntax hilighting in DevStudio

11. Rules of thumb and pointers on custom syntax highlighting for gvim

12. Need help using Custom Forms in Excel 5.0 for data table front end

13. custom color table