Systat 7.0 vs. SPSS 7.5: producing different factors!

Systat 7.0 vs. SPSS 7.5: producing different factors!

Post by A » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

We are confused. As we understand, SPSS and Systat are both products
of SPSS Inc. So, we thought that their way to do analysis is identical
also. It seems that this was a stupid thought.

Problem: In Principal Component Analysis (Varimax-rotation) both
programs produce seven factors and all loadings are identical
regarding their power. But, one factor produced by Systat has inverse

Systat          SPSS

.787            -.787
-.701           .701
.666            -.666

This is a real problem because we use factor scores based on these

I would be very grateful, if someone can tell us what is going
(wr)on(g)....

AV

Systat 7.0 vs. SPSS 7.5: producing different factors!

Post by Richard F Ulri » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

  < snip >

: Problem: In Principal Component Analysis (Varimax-rotation) both
: programs produce seven factors and all loadings are identical
: regarding their power. But, one factor produced by Systat has inverse

: Systat                SPSS

: .787          -.787
: -.701         .701
: .666          -.666

: This is a real problem because we use factor scores based on these

  "This is a real problem"?  -- the serious problem is that you
believe that the DIRECTION of the scoring in Factor Analysis
has some meaning.  But:  it is 100% permissable to change the
signs on all the loadings of a factor.  So, do it.  See, the results
are the SAME!

If the algorithm does not leave coefficients that are mostly "+",
then some computer programs count the pluses and will reverse signs,
to make the NUMBER of loadings to be mostly positive; or get a sum
in order to make the TOTAL positive ... or, whatever.

It does not matter, mathematically, statistically, or clinically.

It is nice, in a way, that this problem comes up occasionally, because
there is a particular misunderstanding of Factors, arising from a
clinical rather than a mathematical perspective, which the explanation
should help to illuminate.  But I forget how to describe it.

If this is still a problem for someone, please ask.

--

http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html   Univ. of Pittsburgh

1. Winrunner 6.02 & 7.0 vs Rational Robot 7.5

Hi
I am being asked by the company I work for to compare the two tools. I am also getting a open demo with Rational on site. I would appreciate any technical pros and cons of Rational vs Winrunner. In return I will ask these questions to Rational I will also be haivng a merc rep within a week and ask him the negatives vs Rational Robot. In return I will post the responses here.
Thanks

------------------

Please click the following link to reply:
http://www.qaforums.com/Forum11/HTML/000546.html

2. "Connection refused" from Win95 fixed -- explanation?

3. BUG in PV-Wave 7.5: Print,0.1 produces 0.0000

4. LoadMenu() in Win 3.0

5. vuescan 7.5 ir cleaning different from previous releases?

6. UPS (Was: Mysql in Innodb)

7. i am searching for a french of spss 7.5..2

8. voice thru modem or sound card?

9. SPSS 7.5 Mediation & Moderation

10. FS: SPSS 7.5 Manuals

11. spss 7.5 no longer works