Moving .sav files from Mac to PC

Post by Sven-Anders Bergstr? » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:45:51

Hi,

I would like some help regarding moving SPSS-files between Macintosh and PC.
Right now it just don't work...the syntax seem to be totally wrong.

Here is the set:

From:
Macintosh, OS 9.2
SPSS 10.0.7 for Macintosh

To:
Windows XP Pro
SPSS 11.5.1 for PC

How do I most easily transfer a file between these environments?

/Sven-Anders
Dept. of Public Health & Clinical Medicine, Umea University

Moving .sav files from Mac to PC

Post by User » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:42:17

I would recommend compressing the file then e-mailing if the machines are
not on the same server network. If they are, SPSS should open the data files
directly.

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Erkki Komulaine » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:47:48

: I would recommend compressing the file then e-mailing if the machines are
: not on the same server network. If they are, SPSS should open the data files
: directly.

:> From:
:> Macintosh, OS 9.2
:> SPSS 10.0.7 for Macintosh
:> To:
:> Windows XP Pro
:> SPSS 11.5.1 for PC
:>
:> How do I most easily transfer a file between these environments?

Try the following:

Save it in portable form. That should system independent. However
that has not worked in my case.

Finally I saved it in text form (ascii) and read it in formatted mode. That
was a bit cumbersome and you lose variable and value labels for instance.

Erkki

gsm 040-5024491 <http://www.helsinki.fi/people/Erkki.Komulainen/>

Moving .sav files from Mac to PC

Post by Rich Ulric » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:00:22

 - to the question of transferring a system file
from a MAC to Windows -
On 2 Jul 2003 06:47:48 GMT, Erkki Komulainen

> : I would recommend compressing the file then e-mailing if the machines are
> : not on the same server network. If they are, SPSS should open the data files
> : directly.

[snip original ]
> Try the following:

> Save it in portable form. That should system independent. However
> that has not worked in my case.

"portable"  is good, but as I remember, there is some caution
about converting the files because Macs use a different convention
for marking End-of-lines.   - There can be related problems in
moving files on or off of Unix systems, and also from the Digital VAX
system that I still use.  For instance, an "image"-mode of FTP-ing
from Vax will result in a file on the PC  that consists of one "line";
the Vax has *no*  internal <CR><LF>  in use.

Maybe this clue will help you look at some documentation.

Quote:> Finally I saved it in text form (ascii) and read it in formatted mode. That
> was a bit cumbersome and you lose variable and value labels for instance.

You didn't throw away your original syntax files, did you?
or else the logs of those runs?  Or you can Display
what is there, to be included.

--

http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html
"Taxes are the price we pay for civilization."  Justice Holmes.

Post by Erkki Komulaine » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:10:39

: You didn't throw away your original syntax files, did you?
: or else the logs of those runs?  Or you can Display
: what is there, to be included.

That was a while ago. Sorry, they are gone!

Erkki
gsm 040-5024491 <http://www.helsinki.fi/people/Erkki.Komulainen/>

1. Power Mac/Softwin: Excel files from PC to Mac

My problem:

Someone has a Power Macintosh on which they run Windows software
(by means of SoftWindows) which is capable of exporting to Excel
formatted spreadsheet files (PC format).
On this same PowerMac, they want to open this file in the Macintosh
Excel application. Is this possible? How to?

Please mail me the answer

Sveinung

2. SCSI 9-track tape on Sun?

3. Transfering a Mac file from PC email to Mac???

4. Business

5. moving from Macs to PCs

6. The least expensive K56FLEX modem !

7. PC Monitor on Mac/Mac Monitor on PC??+

8. Tests of C compiler vectorization

9. Moving book from PC to MAC

10. diff a.sav b.sav

11. Convert PC Quark File to Mac Quark file

12. SAV-file indication in the SPO file.

13. SPSS system file (.sav file) architecture