Urgent Help with SELECT CASES thank you!

Urgent Help with SELECT CASES thank you!

Post by Mamdouh Shubai » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:56:08

Dear SPSS newsgroup subscribers,
I am trying to select cases with *valid* (i.e., non-missing values) based on
two variables. The idea is to select those *same* cases based on *valid*
values for *TWO* variables: one variable represents the "baseline" value
(e.g., baseline body weight, let's call the variable "basebw") and after 10
weeks the body weight is measured again (let's call it discharge body
weight, or "disbw").
The problem that I am having is this:
At baseline I have valid (non-missing) body weight values for 600 cases
(individuals), but after 10 weeks I have valid (non-missing) body weight
values for *only* 215 cases.

What I want to is: SELECT THOSE 215 cases who have valid discharge weight
values **AND ALSO** have valid baseline weight values.

How best can this be achieved in SPSS for Windows?

I appreciate your kind and prompt assistance.

Thank you,
- Mamdouh Shubair
CANADA

Post by Brendan Halpi » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:26:50

> What I want to is: SELECT THOSE 215 cases who have valid discharge weight
> values **AND ALSO** have valid baseline weight values.

select if not missing(basebw) and not missing(disbw).

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-390476; Room F2-025 x 3147

Urgent Help with SELECT CASES thank you!

Post by Arthur J. Kendal » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:50:56

if you click <help> and type "valid" in the edit box,
you will find the NVALID function.

temporary.
select if nvalid(basebw,disbw) eq 2.

will do what you ask.

However, the attrition here appears to be extreme and I suggest that you
see if you can do a lot of nonresponse followup (NRFU)  to raise the
validity of your study.

If the missing disbw is because the subjects have not completed the
treatment, keep in mind that "preliminary analysis" should only be done
for ethics monitoring and to shake down your syntax.  Be very leery of
any substantive conclusions.

Hope this helps.

Art

Social Research Consultants
University Park, MD USA
(301) 864-5570

Post by Nick Nelso » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:52:23

> What I want to is: SELECT THOSE 215 cases who have valid discharge weight
> values **AND ALSO** have valid baseline weight values.

> How best can this be achieved in SPSS for Windows?

select if (not missing(basebw - disbw) )
exe.

nick

Urgent Help with SELECT CASES thank you!

Post by Mamdouh Shubai » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 10:02:59

Thank you very much for those who kindly responded to my "Select IF" query
yesterday. I appreciate it very much.
Regards,
- MS

1. CASE Select, referring to selected value

Just rewrite your case statement in the where clause.

--
Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer

2. dpi question

3. HELP SELECTING A GOOD CASE

4. Screen Scrapper

5. Need Help re: Select Case (VBA)

6. graphical format in ORACLE??

7. *PROGRAMS OFFER : CAD/CAM/CAE*

8. HELP! EXCEL5.0 Converting case in selected cells

9. Thanks for help selecting a sound card!

10. Help with case selecting in SPSS

11. help with "select cases"

12. HELP - trying to identify a case and form-factor ... case manufactured by ROSS