SPSS 10 for Mac printing conflict

Post by Richard Wagne » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

My bride started running SPSS 10 student version on an iMac. Printing
appears an impossibility from the viewer, at least with our set-up, which
features an Epson laser printer. SPSS and Epson Print Monitor 4 appear to
conflict, sending the system into a thorough freeze-up.

Question to the group -- any other SPSS 10 Mac users come across this, &, if
so, any fixes? Second question, does anyone from SPSS lurk on this group?

Many thanks for any responses

--
Richard Wagner  editor/writer

SPSS 10 for Mac printing conflict

Post by Alan Ganapo » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> My bride started running SPSS 10 student version on an iMac. Printing
> appears an impossibility from the viewer, at least with our set-up, which
> features an Epson laser printer. SPSS and Epson Print Monitor 4 appear to
> conflict, sending the system into a thorough freeze-up.

> Question to the group -- any other SPSS 10 Mac users come across this, &, if
> so, any fixes? Second question, does anyone from SPSS lurk on this group?

> Many thanks for any responses

This is reminiscent of problems I HAD w/my Epson Stylewriter 740 being able
to print PowerPoint files... At the time I had 64 meg of RAM installed... I
first opened MS Word and printed a blank page... Then I was able to print
the PowerPoint file... However, since I upgraded my RAM to 192 meg... No
problem... So, maybe it's a RAM problem? Or maybe give it a shot with
attempting to print a blank file and then go to SPSS?

BTW... If there is an SPSS type lurking... Please, please get customer
service to FINALLY fax me my lic codes for my SPSS 10.0 for the Mac... This
is a saga going back since August... Something isn't right at SPSS... Too
many things wrong in a short time period... Definitely correlated to an
internal problem at SPSS... Am I right or am I right? :-\

Alan Ganapol <== waiting patiently for the lic codes

SPSS 10 for Mac printing conflict

Post by Marley Watki » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I've had an error message and refusal to print when trying to print on an
old Personal LaserWriterLS. However, it works ok when printing to more
modern printers with postscript capability. Haven't gotten to SPSS with
the quetion yet, but my suspicion is that SPSS requires postscript. Of
course, you never can tell. There are lots of bugs in this release and you
may have found another one. Email their support folks. They've actually
been pretty good in responding to me once they knew I was serious about
getting an answer.

A work around might be to copy the output and paste it into Word and then
printing from that application.

Good luck,

SPSS 10 for Mac printing conflict

Post by Rick Olive » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Well, I'm a bit confused since I didn't know there was a Mac version of the
SPSS 10 student version. If you're talking about running the Windows student
version using an emulator (like Virtual PC), then I think it may not be
possible to print -- or it may simply require more virtual RAM.

> My bride started running SPSS 10 student version on an iMac. Printing
> appears an impossibility from the viewer, at least with our set-up, which
> features an Epson laser printer. SPSS and Epson Print Monitor 4 appear to
> conflict, sending the system into a thorough freeze-up.

> Question to the group -- any other SPSS 10 Mac users come across this, &,
if
> so, any fixes? Second question, does anyone from SPSS lurk on this group?

> Many thanks for any responses

> --
> Richard Wagner  editor/writer

1. SPSS 11 much slower than 10 (Mac)?

I have been using SPSS v10 on a Mac with a data set with 500 cases and
3500 variables.  Most operations are virtually instantanoeus. I
recently got version 11 for OSX. SPSS runs MUCH slower than version
10.  For example, if I go to the Analyze menu, go down to Scale, and
select Reliability Analysis, in SPSS v10 I can select a variable from
the left pane and it immediately highlights it. When I click the arrow
to move it to the right pane, it goes there without delay.  In version
11, clicking the variable in the left pane results in a delay before
it highlights it, and clicking the arrow to move it results in another
delay.

These delays are just a few seconds, but it really is hard to work
with the program. It's like trying to type with the characters showing
up on your monitor a few seconds later. If you click the arrow to move
an item from the right pane back to the left, again it is instaneous
in version 10, but REALLY slow in 11. It takes a full 10 seconds in
version 11, long enough to get the spinning beachball.

I can't find any settings in the preferences that could account for
this, and all my other software seems to work fine. The Mac is an 867
single processor (this model has the L3 cache), 512 mb of RAM, and no
other programs running.  Anyone have any suggestions on why this is
happening?  I keep thinking that surely software this expensive could
not have been released with performance this poor, and there must be
something that I just don't know about that would bring version 11's
speed up to that of version 10.

Thanks,

David

2. How CHF works?

3. SPSS 10 Mac license renewal

4. Deposits with Several Checks?

5. SPSS 10 for Mac not compatible w 6.1 files

6. MPC8260ADS, flash, Bluecat and Wiggler

7. SPSS 10 for mac

8. Max cached Icons

9. Does SPSS 10 for Mac really require OS 9.0.4?

10. SPSS printing conflict with Uniprint?

11. SPSS 10.0.5 (latest release) versus SPSS 9.0.1

12. Scripting problems SPSS 9 to SPSS 10