Re. Macintosh Statistical Programs

Post by Daniel L. Snyd » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>>What does this mean for the Power Macintosh user who wishes to use SPSS on
>>his/her system?  You will not be able to run your software on any system
>>higher than 7.5 (no updates), and that includes especially Mac OS 8 and
>>beyond.  SPSS has decided not to commit the funding resources that would be
>>required to develop new versions that are compatible with these later Mac
>>Operating Systems but if you follow the simple remedy that I prescribe
>>here, all will be well.

>This is simply not true. People's experiences with SPSS Mac show enormous
>individual differences. I have used 6.1.1 nearly every working day on every
>MacOS system from 7.5 up, including 8.0 and 8.1, and I have had no
>problems. SPSS 6.1.1 runs no more or less reliably than most other
>programs. Having said that, others on this list have posted horror stories
>about their experiences with SPSS 6.1.1 Mac. My Mac knowledge is somewhere
>in the upper-middle to high range, so I'm pretty confident of my
>trouble-shooting ability, and that obviously helps to keep things running
>smoothly. But to say that SPSS Mac will not run on any system higher than
>7.5 is pure falsehood.

>[ascending soapbox] NOW, whether you should still be using SPSS, given that
>company's short-sighted and ill-considered decision to abandon the
>Macintosh platform is another matter entirely... [descending from soapbox]

I am a doct*student about to embark on my dissertation.  I was trained
on SPSS two years ago, but did not get the Grad Pack, since it would not
run on the Mac I had at the time (Classic).  Now I have a PowerBook
1400cs, running system 7.5.3.

I am hoping to find a Grad Pack of SPSS for the PowerPC, but am having a
hard time locating a copy.

My plan is to do some factor analysis - thus I need a decent program.

What, realistically are my options?  Cost-effective options (given the
grad student budget).

--
Husband, Father, Licensed Psychologist, Doct*Student . . . Tired
Center for Christian Psychological Services, P.A.

Re. Macintosh Statistical Programs

Post by Douglas J. Anderso » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am a doct*student about to embark on my dissertation.  I was trained
>on SPSS two years ago, but did not get the Grad Pack, since it would not
>run on the Mac I had at the time (Classic).  Now I have a PowerBook
>1400cs, running system 7.5.3.

>I am hoping to find a Grad Pack of SPSS for the PowerPC, but am having a
>hard time locating a copy.

>My plan is to do some factor analysis - thus I need a decent program.

>What, realistically are my options?  Cost-effective options (given the
>grad student budget).

>--
>Husband, Father, Licensed Psychologist, Doct*Student . . . Tired
>Center for Christian Psychological Services, P.A.
>2233 Hamline Avenue North, Suite 435
>St. Paul, MN  55113       office 612.633.5290     pager 612.613.0940

John:

The answer to this is simple (although I was taken to task for what I
thought was a simple reply to a previous question of this type).  If you
are a student, then your university bookstore is the first place to go.
Ask them whether they sell, or would be willing to purchase for sale, the
SPSS Graduate Pack of software.  In my case, coming from a small university
(student body about 5,000), our university bookstore did not carry and was
not willing to purchase the 5 copy minimum in order to sell me 1 copy.  I
explained this to the SPSS salesman and they were quite willing to sell me
a copy using my mastercard, direct over the phone.  I then went to the SPSS
website and purchased the manuals I needed to learn the software.  I had my
software within 2 days of purchase and my books within 1 week of web direct
purchase.  No problems.  Remember that you only receive support to help
with installation and working out of bugs (should you have any) in the
operation of your new software.  I was told that no telephone support will
be forthcoming for purchasers of the Graduate Pack who need information of
a statistical nature relating to the programs.  For this, go to this list
for excellent feedback and help.

Here is the salesperson I dealt with:

Christopher Randolph
Account Representative
SPSS Inc.
444 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611-3962
312-329-2400 (general #)
312-329-3480 (direct #)

1-900-543-2185 ext. 3480

htt;://www.spss.com

Price of the Grad Pack when I made my purchase (2/24/98) $149.

Hope this helps.

Douglas J. Anderson
Masters Candidate in Anthropology
Eastern New Mexico University
Portales, NM 88130

Post by Daniel L. Snyd » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>John:

>The answer to this is simple[snip] no telephone support will
>be forthcoming for purchasers of the Graduate Pack who need information of
>a statistical nature relating to the programs.  For this, go to this list
>for excellent feedback and help.

>Here is the salesperson I dealt with:

>Christopher Randolph
>Account Representative
>SPSS Inc.
>444 North Michigan Avenue
>Chicago, IL 60611-3962
>312-329-2400 (general #)
>312-329-3480 (direct #)

>1-900-543-2185 ext. 3480

>htt;://www.spss.com

>Price of the Grad Pack when I made my purchase (2/24/98) $149.

>Hope this helps.

>Douglas J. Anderson
>Masters Candidate in Anthropology
>Eastern New Mexico University
>Portales, NM 88130

Thanks.  Now a further request, given the alleged vagaries of SPSS on
system s/w beyond 7.5 (I believe).

Has anyone used SPSS for Mac 6.x.x on a PowerBook 1400 with system 7.5.3?
Given what I am hearing, will I just be purchasing additional frustration?

Are there realistic alternatives - such as using the Windoze version via
Virtual PC or some other emulator?

Right now I am a little spooked about spending good money on a potentially
buggy s/w-OS combination sans technical support.  However, some of the
solutions discussed previously (SPSS and earlier system 7 OS on a zip
drive, etc.) sound intriguing.

--
Husband, Father, Licensed Psychologist, Doct*Student . . . Tired
Center for Christian Psychological Services, P.A.
2233 Hamline Avenue North, Suite 435
St. Paul, MN  55113       office 612.633.5290     pager 612.613.0940

Re. Macintosh Statistical Programs

Post by Lary Jone » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanks.  Now a further request, given the alleged vagaries of SPSS on
>system s/w beyond 7.5 (I believe).

>Has anyone used SPSS for Mac 6.x.x on a PowerBook 1400 with system 7.5.3?
>Given what I am hearing, will I just be purchasing additional frustration?

My experience is that SPSS 8 adds some wonderful features, including the
glm package of procedures and "slice and dice" tables.  I use and support
it at work.  Nevertheless, Version 6 on the Mac always has done almost
anything I needed, statistically.  Furthermore, if one makes sure there is
adequate memory allocated (I boost the "preferred" setting a bit higher)
and is not a control panel junkie, there are few, if any hangs or crashes.

I take portable files home from work and do some analyses there.  In a
recent project, I actually used SPSS 6.1 on the Mac because I wanted to
produce a table of means in a CROSSBREAK (Crosstabs like) format.  You
can't do that in release 8. I would not hesitate buying the Mac Grad Pack
in your situation.

Others' experiences may vary.  Certainly, I would like to have version 8
for the Mac.  But, I can live without it.

-Lary Jones
 SPSS user since 1970; Mac user since 1984; Win/NT user in the 90's

Lary Jones          %     Statistical Computing Analyst
Computing Services     %     ..........................

Binghamton, NY 13902-6000   %            (607) 777-2879