Perinatal Epi and birth weight z-scores

Post by Shuaib Kauchal » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:42:28

Hi

This is probably not the site for me to post this message, but I have
run out various options and would appreciate any one who has the
knowledge to help me with my problem. I would like to calculate birth
weight z-scores of infants at each gestational age based on US
National reference (1991). I Know how to compute the z-score in spss,
but just that I don't have the values for Population means and SD at
each respective gestational age. For example, for gest age 34 weeks,
the population mean is... and the SD is..., with these values I can
work out the z-scores (bwt-pop_mean/SD). I would appreciate if someone
could direct me to the relevent reference to get these values. I have
searched the literature, but they don't specifically have these values
listed. Any help uch appreciated.

Post by Bruce Weave » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:52:03

> Hi

> This is probably not the site for me to post this message, but I have
> run out various options and would appreciate any one who has the
> knowledge to help me with my problem. I would like to calculate birth
> weight z-scores of infants at each gestational age based on US
> National reference (1991). I Know how to compute the z-score in spss,
> but just that I don't have the values for Population means and SD at
> each respective gestational age. For example, for gest age 34 weeks,
> the population mean is... and the SD is..., with these values I can
> work out the z-scores (bwt-pop_mean/SD). I would appreciate if someone
> could direct me to the relevent reference to get these values. I have
> searched the literature, but they don't specifically have these values
> listed. Any help uch appreciated.

Careful with the brackets on that forumula.  You probably
meant to say:

        z = (bwt-pop_mean)/SD

I don't know where to find the population parameters.  Did
you try a Google search?

Cheers,
Bruce
--
Bruce Weaver

www.angelfire.com/wv/bwhomedir/

Perinatal Epi and birth weight z-scores

Post by Rich Ulric » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:44:54

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:42:28 -0400, Shuaib Kauchali

> Hi

> This is probably not the site for me to post this message, but I have
> run out various options and would appreciate any one who has the
> knowledge to help me with my problem. I would like to calculate birth
> weight z-scores of infants at each gestational age based on US
> National reference (1991). I Know how to compute the z-score in spss,
> but just that I don't have the values for Population means and SD at
> each respective gestational age. For example, for gest age 34 weeks,
> the population mean is... and the SD is..., with these values I can
> work out the z-scores (bwt-pop_mean/SD). I would appreciate if someone
> could direct me to the relevent reference to get these values. I have
> searched the literature, but they don't specifically have these values
> listed. Any help uch appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that the U.S.  does not have a national registry
of birth weights.  Or of births.  I wonder, now that you bring it up,
how much information is centralized for every state.
Are there any "national standards"  at all, formal or informal?
I believe that you are going to have to find research papers,
rather than a census.

I had bookmarked the URL  for a research paper that might
have had numbers, on perinatal outcomes and dual-frame
sampling, but the paper is gone.  Using Google, I find that
"perinatal outcomes" seems to be a good keyword.
<"perinatal outcomes"  birth-weight > is a starting point.

--

http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html
"Taxes are the price we pay for civilization."  Justice Holmes.

Perinatal Epi and birth weight z-scores

Post by Shuaib Kauchal » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:17:49

Thanx I will see what I get from google, also I will try and contact
the authors of this article:
http://research.bmn.com/medline/search/record?uid=MDLN.96148886

Cheers,
Shuaib

>On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:42:28 -0400, Shuaib Kauchali

>> Hi

>> This is probably not the site for me to post this message, but I have
>> run out various options and would appreciate any one who has the
>> knowledge to help me with my problem. I would like to calculate birth
>> weight z-scores of infants at each gestational age based on US
>> National reference (1991). I Know how to compute the z-score in spss,
>> but just that I don't have the values for Population means and SD at
>> each respective gestational age. For example, for gest age 34 weeks,
>> the population mean is... and the SD is..., with these values I can
>> work out the z-scores (bwt-pop_mean/SD). I would appreciate if someone
>> could direct me to the relevent reference to get these values. I have
>> searched the literature, but they don't specifically have these values
>> listed. Any help uch appreciated.

>I'm pretty sure that the U.S.  does not have a national registry
>of birth weights.  Or of births.  I wonder, now that you bring it up,
>how much information is centralized for every state.
>Are there any "national standards"  at all, formal or informal?
>I believe that you are going to have to find research papers,
>rather than a census.

>I had bookmarked the URL  for a research paper that might
>have had numbers, on perinatal outcomes and dual-frame
>sampling, but the paper is gone.  Using Google, I find that
>"perinatal outcomes" seems to be a good keyword.
><"perinatal outcomes"  birth-weight > is a starting point.

1. Skewness and z-scores

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Our principle investigator has asked for descriptives on our
outcome variables, including skewness and kurtosis.

I know how to get SPSS 11 to produce the skewness and kurtosis
scores and their standard error. I also know how to convert these
manually into z scores for comparison.

Is there any way to get SPSS to produce the z scores for me without
having to calculate them by hand (or, in my case, by in Excel)?

Thanks for your time.

Derek Gwinn

--

Democracy's greatest challenge is that a "majority" can be wrong.

2. Loan calculator for pocketPC?

3. variabels -> z-scores

4. dial tone starts when phone line plugged into modem

5. z-scores

6. reference for doing backups

7. Exporting SPSS weighted data and keep the weighted data...

8. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

9. Consumer Credit Scoring: How to align scores

10. using factor score coefficients to calculate factor scores

11. transcender scores vs. score for