Multivariate Analysis with SPSS?

Post by Gerd Roethi » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

for processing some data and its evaluation if suitable for some
certain purpose, I was asked to do a so-called Multivariate Analsysis
on it.
As tools for that task the following software is available to me:
SPSS for Windows, version 6.1.3 (possibly version 7.0 (Student's
version) als an alternative) and SigmaStat 1.0.

Unfortunately, in the available documentation no exact hints on how to
solve this problem can be found. Only the need of using the ANOVA
module for SPSS is mentioned.

Hopefully, someone can help me out with some hints or pointers to
information sources on the Internet.

Thank you very much for anything helpful in advance and best regards

Gerd
http://www.ardos.de/gerd

Multivariate Analysis with SPSS?

Post by Ulrike Tim » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello Gerd,
you did not mention what kind of analysis you want to do. There are a
lot of methods of multivariate analysis that you can do with spss. what
i will recommend to you is a documentation in german: Felix Brosius
(1995): SPSS Base system, MTP Verlag (98 DM).
i worked very successful with that book, it explains the statistical
background as well as the spss procedures and explains the
interpretation of the results.
maybe you can try this to find out what kind of analysis will be
suitable for you!

ulrike

Gerd Roethig schrieb:

Quote:

> Hello,

> for processing some data and its evaluation if suitable for some
> certain purpose, I was asked to do a so-called Multivariate Analsysis
> on it.
> As tools for that task the following software is available to me:
> SPSS for Windows, version 6.1.3 (possibly version 7.0 (Student's
> version) als an alternative) and SigmaStat 1.0.

> Unfortunately, in the available documentation no exact hints on how to
> solve this problem can be found. Only the need of using the ANOVA
> module for SPSS is mentioned.

> Hopefully, someone can help me out with some hints or pointers to
> information sources on the Internet.

> Thank you very much for anything helpful in advance and best regards

> Gerd
> http://www.ardos.de/gerd

Multivariate Analysis with SPSS?

Post by Gerhard Lueck » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hallo Gerd,
eine kurze (l?nger KANN sie nicht sein, weil die Frage sooo allgemein
gestellt ist) Antwort:
Unter Multivariater Analyse bzw. Multivariater Statistik werden alle
statistischen Verfahren zusammengefasst, auf die die Defintion von
Juergen BORTZ (Statistik fr Sozialwissenschaftler, 4. Aufl, Berlin
1993) zutrifft:
"Mit multivariaten Methoden werden Hypothesen geprft, die sich auf das
Zusammenwirken VIELER abh?ngiger und unabh?ngiger Variablen beziehen."
Bortz behandelt im Teil III (Multivariate Methoden) folgende Verfahren
(und das sind laengst nicht alle!): Faktorenanalyse, Clusteranalyse,
Multivariate Varianzanalyse, Diskriminanzanalyse, Kanonische
Korrelationsanalyse. Sie alle sind auch in SPSS zu finden. Im WWW ist
eine sch?ne bersicht (nicht nur) multivariater Verfahren zu finden
unter:
http://www2.chass.ncsu.edu/garson/pa765/statnote.htm
Gruss
Gerd (Luecke)

Gerd Roethig schrieb:

Quote:

> Hello,

> for processing some data and its evaluation if suitable for some
> certain purpose, I was asked to do a so-called Multivariate Analsysis
> on it.
> As tools for that task the following software is available to me:
> SPSS for Windows, version 6.1.3 (possibly version 7.0 (Student's
> version) als an alternative) and SigmaStat 1.0.

> Unfortunately, in the available documentation no exact hints on how to
> solve this problem can be found. Only the need of using the ANOVA
> module for SPSS is mentioned.

> Hopefully, someone can help me out with some hints or pointers to
> information sources on the Internet.

> Thank you very much for anything helpful in advance and best regards

> Gerd
> http://www.ardos.de/gerd

G e r h a r d   L u e c k e
Institut fuer Psychologie,  Universitaet Innsbruck
Innrain 52,  A-6020 Innsbruck,  Austria
Telefon:  0049-(0)512-507 5553

Homepage:  http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c72002

Multivariate Analysis with SPSS?

Post by Rich Ulric » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:04:48 +0100, Gerd Roethig

> for processing some data and its evaluation if suitable for some
> certain purpose, I was asked to do a so-called Multivariate Analsysis
> on it.

 < snip; don't know what they are. >

Quote:> Hopefully, someone can help me out with some hints or pointers to
> information sources on the Internet.

 - doing a search with Google produces 64,000 hits, and the first 10
do look highly relevant.  Read some.

The first thing that you might learn is that the simple forms of
Multivariate analysis in the ANOVA family are "multiple regression"
and "discriminant function".  Tons of reading exist on those, alone.
See my stats-FAQ for some comments and some text-references.

I also have pointers to sites with tutorials, and you can see more
online references by following the homepages that people cite after
their names when answering questions in the statistics net-groups.

--

http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html

1. Time-use Research with SPSS / Sequence-analysis with SPSS

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

i am doing a project at the moment at the Transport Insitute of the
DLR (German Aerospace Centre, Institut fr Verkehrsforschung).

The focus of the project is to analyse a time use-study.
Various people had to report what they were doing on two subsequent
days (their time use from midnight to midnight).
For that, one day is splitted into 288 five-minute-segments. In each
of these 288 segments, one of 231 activities is available.

For every person, there are 288 variables in the SPSS-data set with
five-minute-segments (and with activities like sleep etc.), which
define that persons time use over one day.

My problem is related to that sort of data-structure:

I want to add the time-use for one person for all 288 segments.

With commands like count, recode etc. i am just able to recode/count
ONE variable and to get ONE new variable.
Is it possible to count / produce frequencies etc. for all of these
288 in one operation?
Eg to find out, that in 150 of the 288 five-minute segments that
person is watching TV (eg acitivity number 38)?

Does anyone has some experience with time-use research with SPSS

or

with such sequence-analysis with SPSS?

It would be great to get some hints.
Is there any literature concerning these problems?

Thank you very much!

Hans-Peter Schmid

2. Please help ! : NTLMSSP

3. Statitiscs and multivariate analysis

4. Devpac 3.0

5. Multivariate analysis tool

6. Need help with instalation of SAS8.2 on Win2000 Pro

7. multivariate probit analysis

8. Kenwood/Hi-Val "True 40X"

9. Multivariate Analysis

10. multivariate analysis of variance repeated

11. Books on Multivariate Data Analysis

12. Multivariate Data Analysis

13. small sample multivariate analyses