post hoc analysis following Kruskal-Wallis Test

post hoc analysis following Kruskal-Wallis Test

Post by Dr. V. Thiem » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:15:59

Hi!

How can I perform a post hoc analysis following Kruskal-Wallis-Testing using
SPSS 10.0?

Thank you!.

V Thieme

Post by Bruce Weave » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:24:20

> Hi!

> How can I perform a post hoc analysis following Kruskal-Wallis-Testing using
> SPSS 10.0?

> Thank you!.

> V Thieme

The following book describes procedures for making all pair-wise
comparisons, and also all contrasts of k-1 treatments with a control.  If
memory serves, these are so-called "large-sample" procedures (i.e.,
z-tests are used).

Siegel, S., & Castellan, N.J. (1988). Nonparametric statistics for the
   behavi*sciences (2nd Ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

If you're talking about pair-wise comparisions, another option that has
been suggested here in the past is to just use the Mann-Whitney U test
(or the equivalent Wilcoxon rank-sum test).

--
Bruce Weaver

Homepage:   http://www.veryComputer.com/

post hoc analysis following Kruskal-Wallis Test

Post by Dr. V. Thiem » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 03:16:06

Thank you - I'll try it ...

Thieme

1. Macro Required > Nonparametric Tests > Post hoc comparisons for Kruskal Wallis test

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has a macro to perform a post hoc analysis (such
as Dunn's Test) for a Kruskal-Wallis Test. Surprisingly SPSS will perform
the KW test, but even in 11.5 does not provide a means of analysing which
pairs of groups differ significantly. I note the SPSS web site suggests
performing a series of Mann Whitney tests, but Dunn's Test (Neave and
Worthington, 1988, Distribution Free Statistics, Unwin Hyman: London)
provides a more acceptable resolution. I note that Minitab provides this
functionality since version 9 or 10.

If anyone has a macro/script to perform these multiple comparisons then it
would be greatly appreciated.

Yours faithfully
Peter Edwards
University of Sydney, Australia

2. Student Software Developers Can Win Up To $25,000 In IBM "Cool Blue VoiceXML Challenge"

3. Can the Mann-Whitney U be used following a Kruskal-Wallis test?

4. omg!

5. How to preform Cuzick's test after a Kruskal-Wallis test?

6. Where to find Chkdsk32 ?

7. Kruskal-Wallis Test

8. Dec VT320 problems

9. post hoc comparisons for Kruskall-Wallis nonparametric Tests

10. SAS code for multiple comparison for KRUSKAL-WALLIS

11. Kruskal-Wallis H adjusted for ties in SPSS?

12. ANOVA and Kruskal-Wallis

13. Kruskal-Wallis One-Way ANOVA