Compute new Variables and Groups ...

Post by Michael Kickmeie » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 04:21:24

Hi all,
if desperately seeking for spss syntax that can create
new variables and groups:

I have three variables:

v1   v2   v3
1    2    3
4   5    6

and I want to create following :

va  vb
1   1
1   4
2   2
2   5
3   3
3   6

Can anyone help me with this (possibly simple) problem?
Many thanks
Michael

Compute new Variables and Groups ...

Post by Rich Ulric » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 05:00:48

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:21:24 GMT, "Michael Kickmeier"

[ seeking syntax]

Quote:

> I have three variables:

> v1   v2   v3
> 1    2    3
> 4   5    6

> and I want to create following :

> va  vb
> 1   1
> 1   4
> 2   2
> 2   5
> 3   3
> 3   6

> Can anyone help me with this (possibly simple) problem?

If you invoke FLIP,  you transpose the file.
That creates, quite precisely, without any waste,
half the lines of your desired result.

The extra lines 1,1    2,2    3,3
have appeared out of nowhere,
justified by neither data nor principle.

--

http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html

Compute new Variables and Groups ...

Post by Michael Kickmeie » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:51:06

Thanks Rich, I'll try it!!!
Michael

> On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:21:24 GMT, "Michael Kickmeier"

> [ seeking syntax]

> > I have three variables:

> > v1   v2   v3
> > 1    2    3
> > 4   5    6

> > and I want to create following :

> > va  vb
> > 1   1
> > 1   4
> > 2   2
> > 2   5
> > 3   3
> > 3   6

> > Can anyone help me with this (possibly simple) problem?

> If you invoke FLIP,  you transpose the file.
> That creates, quite precisely, without any waste,
> half the lines of your desired result.

> The extra lines 1,1    2,2    3,3
> have appeared out of nowhere,
> justified by neither data nor principle.

> --

> http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html

1. how to compute correlation into new variable

i need to compute the bivariate correlation
of two variables into a new variable.

i know how to do the correlation for the output.
but into a new variable?

Wolfgang
http://web2news.com/?comp.soft-sys.stat.spss
To contact in private, remove n7ospp6a-8m

2. SNR for MPEG audio filter bank

3. Need a Simpler Way to Compute a New Variable

4. Changing domain i mail header

5. compute a new variable

6. Cleanup: when it's finished ?

7. Transform-Compute - New Variable Query

8. navagational aid

9. count or sum by group to create new variable (not table)

10. Using Variable Values in New Variables Names

11. splitting out character variable into several new variables

12. Create a new variable (and data set) with variables stacked

13. Create an new variable based on ozher variables