SAS to SPSS; variable labels (SAS V8.2, SPSS V10.1, WIN98)

SAS to SPSS; variable labels (SAS V8.2, SPSS V10.1, WIN98)

Post by Albrecht O. Schweiker » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:35:27

Hi all,

you all know: treading  SAS-datasets into SPSS cuts long variable names
to 8 characters and translates these - if they are not unique - into
shortenings like V24. To see, which original variable was behind this
shortening, I label the SAS-variables in SAS with their original variable
name.

As long as I do the labelling with a datastep and the statement

label <variable>='label';

this works fine and SPSS takes over the labels. When I do it with proc
datasets (which would shorten the
process with large datasets) SPSS will not recognize the labels and sometime
even run into ERROR.

proc datasets;
modify dataset;
label <variable>='label';
run;
quit;

Does anybody know, why this happens and how I can use proc datasets in a way
that SPSS recognizes the labels?

TIA   Albrecht

1. SAS to SPSS; variable labels (SAS V8.2, SPSS V10.1, WIN98)

[...]

2. Bankground image

3. SAS Equivalent of SPSS Variable Labels

4. Solve your common UAE problem

5. SAS/Base: MS Access link to SAS via SAS/ODBC - pulling SAS co lumn labels

6. Future Wars

7. SAS/Base: MS Access link to SAS via SAS/ODBC - pulling SAS column labels

8. Using Hover Buttons with frames

9. Upgrade from spss v8 to v10, is it worth it?

10. Variable labels in v8 of SAS Proc Logistic?

11. SAS TO SPSS, with v8 PROC COPY?

12. Variable names in dataset explorer; SAS V8, WIN98

13. SPSS 10 data labels to SAS 8.2