SPSS Syntax Help- need just a bit

Post by Steve Feelgoo » Fri, 27 Dec 2002 20:50:47

Hi,

I'm new to the syntax of SPSS.  I have only ever used the windows based
functions.  However, now I have been given a task with a large database that
requires the use of some syntax.  I am hoping someone can quickly help me.

I have to do two different things.  The data is from a questionnaire.  There
are some ordinal scale questions with Likert scales.  It is those that I
have to work with.

1. Is to combine the scores from 2 questions (both with participants coded
as 0 or 1) to form a new score and variable of disordered = 1 and
non-disordered = 0.  For instance subjects have scored 1 on questions 15 &
13 then they are coded as disordered (1) on the new variable.  If they have
scored 1 on question 15, but 0 on 13, then they will be coded as
non-disordered on the new variable (0).

2. One question is already coded into (0) and (1).  I have to combined those
results with those from an ordinally scaled question from 1 to 5, to
classify participants into disordered and non-disordered.  For instance, if
a participant is coded as (1) on question 13 and score 1, 2 on question 14
then they are coded as disordered (1) on the new variable.  If a participant
is coded as (1) on question 13 and score 4, 5 on question 14 then they are
coded as non-disordered (0) on the new variable.  Those who scored 3 on
question 14 are ignored as they cannot be diagnosed.

Steve Feelgood.

Berlin

SPSS Syntax Help- need just a bit

Post by Rich Ulric » Tue, 31 Dec 2002 05:58:57

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:50:47 +0100, "Steve Feelgood"

[snip; data has dichotomies or 1-5 interval items]

Quote:

> 1. Is to combine the scores from 2 questions (both with participants coded
> as 0 or 1) to form a new score and variable of disordered = 1 and
> non-disordered = 0.  For instance subjects have scored 1 on questions 15 &
> 13 then they are coded as disordered (1) on the new variable.  If they have
> scored 1 on question 15, but 0 on 13, then they will be coded as
> non-disordered on the new variable (0).

A generic way of combining is to make a 2-digit number:
1)  NEWVAR=  10* V15 + V13  -- and then recode the results

<The above>  describes only 2 of the four outcomes, but my
guess it that <both=1>  is disordered, so it will work to say,
2)  NEWVAR=  V15* V13.

Quote:

> 2. One question is already coded into (0) and (1).  I have to combined those
> results with those from an ordinally scaled question from 1 to 5, to
> classify participants into disordered and non-disordered.  For instance, if
> a participant is coded as (1) on question 13 and score 1, 2 on question 14
> then they are coded as disordered (1) on the new variable.  If a participant
> is coded as (1) on question 13 and score 4, 5 on question 14 then they are
> coded as non-disordered (0) on the new variable.  Those who scored 3 on
> question 14 are ignored as they cannot be diagnosed.

Use the generic approach.  Or modify the generic:
if all the <0> become <0>, use the same basic multiplication
as my (2); then recode.  Again, half the values have not
been described, but the generic can always work.

You do have to decide what to do with those <3>.
Recode to missing?

--

http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html

1. Need help for SPSS Syntax about database capture

I use SPSS 8.0 Asia version. I am trying to do a batch job from get
data to finishing a simple table.
I use the database capture wizard and then paste it into a syntax file
as follow.
************************
GET CAPTURE ODBC /CONNECT='DSN=Oracle for SPSS'+
 ' Base;UID=demo;PWD=#50137;DBQ=ora8;DBA=W;APA=T;PFC=1;TLO=0;' /
SELECT  "T10"."CREATETIME"
AS "CREATETI",
"T10"."WORKSTATN"
AS "WORKSTAT",
"T10"."SEQNUM" AS
"SEQNUM",  "T10"."BLKNUM"
AS "BLKNUM",
"T10"."UPDATETIME"
AS "UPDATETI",
"T10"."temp" AS
"temp",  "T10"."pressure"
AS "pressure",
"T10"."date" AS
"date",    "T10"."time"
AS "time",  "T10"."shift"
AS "shift",  "T10"."operator"
AS "operator"
 FROM  "DEMO"."test" "T10".
Execute.
******************************

After running the product facility I got the following message.

What's wrong with it? Sorry,I could not understand the syntax guide
about "get capture"

2. Differet Char Sets in MySQL 4.0 ?

3. Bit order for SYNTAX BITS values?

4. EMF Spooling File Format?

5. Need syntax for saving the output file in Windows SPSS

6. Question about this newsgroup

7. Spss syntax help

8. Need help finding a sound processor

9. PIC How to: 24 Bit / 16 bit = 16 bit (division routine on a 8 bit PIC )

10. Need a compression algorithm to compress 32-bit integer to atleast 30 bits

11. Parsing SPSS Syntax

12. editors that do syntax highlighting for SPSS