SPSS 11 keying in data

SPSS 11 keying in data

Post by Tommy B. McDonel » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 05:16:22



Hi. I have keyed in my data and want it to be in the same order as my
questionnaire. Unfortunately I forgot one field. How do I move the fields
down to key in the one I forgot? I can do it if there are just two
fields--drag and switch them, but can't seem to for a long list and it
doesn't seem to cut and paste like excel. Thanks. Tommy

--
Tommy B. McDonell
Adjunct Instructor,
Marymount Manhattan College
Doct*Candidate in TESOL-NYU

212-414-8513 home before 10PM
212-414-1293 fax

 
 
 

SPSS 11 keying in data

Post by Bruce Weave » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 05:30:43



> Hi. I have keyed in my data and want it to be in the same order as my
> questionnaire. Unfortunately I forgot one field. How do I move the fields
> down to key in the one I forgot? I can do it if there are just two
> fields--drag and switch them, but can't seem to for a long list and it
> doesn't seem to cut and paste like excel. Thanks. Tommy

Click on the Data View tab, then click on the the variable
name of the column to the right of where you want to insert
a new column, and click on Data-->Insert Variable.  Then go
back to Variable View, and format the new variable, etc.

Cheers,
Bruce
--
Bruce Weaver

www.angelfire.com/wv/bwhomedir/

 
 
 

SPSS 11 keying in data

Post by Matthias Nueblin » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 18:00:22


hi tommy

second possibility via syntax - if you like it and are familiar to it:
1. build one or more new vars with compute
2. format them (with format, var lab, val lab)
3. put in you data
4. save the file and use the keep - subcommand to change the var-order
(to put your new-vars where you want them to be).

cheers matthias

Bruce Weaver schrieb:


>> Hi. I have keyed in my data and want it to be in the same order as my
>> questionnaire. Unfortunately I forgot one field. How do I move the fields
>> down to key in the one I forgot? I can do it if there are just two
>> fields--drag and switch them, but can't seem to for a long list and it
>> doesn't seem to cut and paste like excel. Thanks. Tommy

> Click on the Data View tab, then click on the the variable name of the
> column to the right of where you want to insert a new column, and click
> on Data-->Insert Variable.  Then go back to Variable View, and format
> the new variable, etc.

> Cheers,
> Bruce

 
 
 

SPSS 11 keying in data

Post by Tommy B. McDonel » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 04:04:23


Hi. Bruce's idea worked. Matthias' probably would work also but I haven't a
clue as to what it means.

However what really works is joining this newsgroup!! Yippee.

Tommy

--
Tommy B. McDonell
Adjunct Instructor,
Marymount Manhattan College
Doct*Candidate in TESOL-NYU

212-414-8513 home before 10PM
212-414-1293 fax

> hi tommy

> second possibility via syntax - if you like it and are familiar to it:
> 1. build one or more new vars with compute
> 2. format them (with format, var lab, val lab)
> 3. put in you data
> 4. save the file and use the keep - subcommand to change the var-order
> (to put your new-vars where you want them to be).

> cheers matthias

> Bruce Weaver schrieb:

> >> Hi. I have keyed in my data and want it to be in the same order as my
> >> questionnaire. Unfortunately I forgot one field. How do I move the
fields
> >> down to key in the one I forgot? I can do it if there are just two
> >> fields--drag and switch them, but can't seem to for a long list and it
> >> doesn't seem to cut and paste like excel. Thanks. Tommy

> > Click on the Data View tab, then click on the the variable name of the
> > column to the right of where you want to insert a new column, and click
> > on Data-->Insert Variable.  Then go back to Variable View, and format
> > the new variable, etc.

> > Cheers,
> > Bruce