Newbie Needs Help with Data Editor

Post by DAB » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:08:35

Hello,

I am having a strange problem with SPSS Graduate Pack v. 11.0.1. I have a 98
mb dataset with about 668,000 cases. I am just trying to delete a few of the
cases from the file, but when I highlight a case and then hit the delete
key, all but 38 of the cases are deleted! Anyone have some idea why this is
happening? It is driving me nuts!

Thanks, DAB

Newbie Needs Help with Data Editor

Post by Arthur J. Kendal » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:49:17

I am not familiar with the particular problem, but this should be a
workaround.  It also is better quality control since it leaves an audit
trail and does not write over previous versions of the data set.

Are you sure you want to delete them or might you just want to treat
their values as missing on certain cases?

*untested.
if any(id, 9555001, 1100002, 1234123, 7777777, 23) dropit =1.
select if dropit ne 1.
save outfile = 'd:\project\in pop cases.sav'.
new file.
get file  'd:\project\in pop cases.sav'.

Hope this helps.

Art

Social Research Consultants
University Park, MD USA
(301) 864-5570

P.S. you might be just losing the display and not the cases themselves.
to test this use
cache.

However, I advise against deleting cases manually.

> Hello,

> I am having a strange problem with SPSS Graduate Pack v. 11.0.1. I have a 98
> mb dataset with about 668,000 cases. I am just trying to delete a few of the
> cases from the file, but when I highlight a case and then hit the delete
> key, all but 38 of the cases are deleted! Anyone have some idea why this is
> happening? It is driving me nuts!

> Thanks, DAB

1. Can't select data elements in ORACLE data window, need GURU HELP!

Boy, I must be doing something really stupid!  I sure hope some guru out there
will help because I've tried everything I know.  Here goes:

If I am connected to the Watcom database, I have no problems creating a data
window which I can use to select data elements, highlight, update, whatever.

But if I use the same procedure to create a data window for an ORACLE table, I
can't get any kind of window but a display only window.  When I click on the
Rows/Update feature, the update option is not checked.  It will allow me to
check it, but it makes no difference.  Nor does anything else I do.

Can someone give me a hint as to what to do?  (I do have update privileges on
the ORACLE tables.)

Thanks,

Pamela

2. SECURITY: What's the difference?

3. Newbie needs help with DTP a book.....HELP!

4. MX records and Cw

5. NEED HELP!!!!!!!!Data Architects/Data Migration--SAP/CranSoft--Princeton.

6. mainframe <-> (PS/2, PC) file transfer, LU6.2

7. /!\newbie/!\Need data about compression

8. How to disable ActiveSync's "Save Password" option?

9. SCL List Editor, Object Editor, Data Navigator

10. HELP A NEWBIE: How do I input XYZ data from Excel?

11. HELP A NEWBIE UPDATE: Have data - how do I plot it?

12. Newbie: Data Window Access To Data Fields

13. Urgent Need // Data Mapping ( Data Modeler/Data Analyst) // Chicago IL or Richardson, TX