Visual Basic, Visual Basic for Applications, MindWrapBasic, Sax Basic?

Visual Basic, Visual Basic for Applications, MindWrapBasic, Sax Basic?

Post by Kai Borgolt » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

While I am not a programmer, I had some confusion distinguishing the various
kindred Basic dialects. This is what I found out:

Visual Basic (VB) is the Basic Programming language from Microsoft.

MindWrapBasic (MWB) is a VB clone from Polar Engineering.

Visual Basic for Application (VBA) from Microsoft is VB built into several
apps, especially MS Office, as macro language. Main difference between VB
and VBA is, that you cannot build EXE-Files from VBA.

Sax Basic (SB) is a VBA clone derived from MWB, built into several apps,
especially SPSS, as macro (script) language. According to SB's help file SB
is a trademark of Sax Software Corporation, but copyrighted by Polar
Engineering. SB can be integrated into applications, which are coded in VB,
like SPSS is.

OK?
--
Kai Borgolte, Bonn