Reading/Saving multiple files in loop

Post by Brad » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have to perform a loop on a number of files containing monthly data. I am
new to SPSS and it appears that the loop command will only work for
transformations. Is there any syntax that will allow me to read files
process them and save them in order by month ? If so please could you post
an example for me ?

Thanks in advance.

Brad.

Reading/Saving multiple files in loop

Post by Neila Ness » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Brad,
XSAVE is permitted within a loop as is DATA LIST!!!) !
No example handy but AIRCODE ALERT...
Do the RTFM thing to XSAVE . Review features and limitations.
 Neila

DO IF blahblah.
XSAVE OUTFILE "blahblah".
ELSE IF blabla .
XSAVE OUTFILE "Blabla".
ELSE IF blbl .
XSAVE OUTFILE "Blbl".
ELSE IF bb .
XSAVE OUTFILE "Bb".
ELSE .
XSAVE OUTFILE "Else".
END IF.
EXECUTE.

>I have to perform a loop on a number of files containing monthly data. I am
>new to SPSS and it appears that the loop command will only work for
>transformations. Is there any syntax that will allow me to read files
>process them and save them in order by month ? If so please could you post
>an example for me ?

>Thanks in advance.

>Brad.

Reading/Saving multiple files in loop

Post by Brad » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Thanks again Neila.

You're a star.

Brad.

=~)

>Brad,
>XSAVE is permitted within a loop as is DATA LIST!!!) !
>No example handy but AIRCODE ALERT...
>Do the RTFM thing to XSAVE . Review features and limitations.
> Neila

>DO IF blahblah.
>XSAVE OUTFILE "blahblah".
>ELSE IF blabla .
>XSAVE OUTFILE "Blabla".
>ELSE IF blbl .
>XSAVE OUTFILE "Blbl".
>ELSE IF bb .
>XSAVE OUTFILE "Bb".
>ELSE .
>XSAVE OUTFILE "Else".
>END IF.
>EXECUTE.

>>I have to perform a loop on a number of files containing monthly data. I
am
>>new to SPSS and it appears that the loop command will only work for
>>transformations. Is there any syntax that will allow me to read files
>>process them and save them in order by month ? If so please could you post
>>an example for me ?

>>Thanks in advance.

>>Brad.

1. Split Large Excel file to multiple excel files and possible save the files

Hello Frndz,

I have a killing task to create for all students specified xls for each
parent with grades etc..

The data is retrieved from a large database.

1. I want to create specific sheets for each student from the massive excel
file

I want to create the sheet name by the name in A5 and H5
The data i want to retrive is in A to U columns until a new name comes in
Column A
I have three headers that needs also to come along too
.

2. Then I want to save the new sheets with the students name and class in a
folder X:\students

Sorry in my office, I don't have permission to upload any file, so request
you to help by creating your own dummy data or provide me your mail id, so
that I can fwd from any other source.

Shekhar Sharma
9910010060
"Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing
those  you hold well"
 "Before you judge another, think of your own last mistake."

2. Anyone using MPW IIGS

3. Excel: can add-ins be saved within an Excel file?

4. setting toolbar-visible-p makes xemacs windows jump around

5. Best way to save multiple PDF files into one PDF file?

6. 8 X 4 NEC Drive Question

7. How can I open and read two files at once in a loop?

8. CVS - $LOG keyword and Branching?

9. Newbie - reading from files in nested while loops

10. Large ZIP file - how do I save on multiple floppies?

11. Opening and saving multiple FDF files

12. Multiple saves/restores in a file.

13. Saving multiple files