Can I compare different dependent variables?

Can I compare different dependent variables?

Post by Mike Hewit » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am attempting to compare results of a study I am performing on marching
bands.  I have scores of over 200 bands from 5 different states.  Each
state uses a different scoring system although they are all based upon 100
points They are different in that some give equal emphasis to marching and
music (50%/50%), while others split it 60/40 or 55/45.  The judges for the
various contests were of equal ability but were not the same for each
state.  How do I tell if the states are comparable?  If they are not, can I
make them comparable.  How?

Thanks in advance for your help...
--
Mike Hewitt
University of Arizona

1. comparing strength of effects between models (different dependent var, same independent var)

Dear newsgroup members,

We have a problem comparing the strength of regression coefficients of the
same independent variable in models with different dependent variables.
Below I will show two (related) examples:

Example 1.
Cross-sectional design. Dependent variables: two speed tasks (number of
seconds needed is recorded; the lower, the better, the faster) and tasks
differ in complexity/difficulty. Independent variable: age (0: young and 1:
old). Question: do older people particularly differ from younger people in
the difficult task (more so than in the easy task)?

Example 2.
Cross-sectional design. Dependent variables: one speed task (number of
seconds needed is recorded; the lower, the better, the faster) and a memory
task (number of words reproduced after presentation; the higher, the better
(the memory)). Independent variable: age (0: young and 1: old). Question: do
older people particularly differ from younger people in the speed task (more
so than in the easy task)?

How can these effects of age be compared? In the first example both
dependent variables are in seconds, in the second the scales differ
completely. It seems to me that standardisation of at least the dependent
variable is needed? But how to test for a significant difference in the
effect of age.

Some have suggested MANOVA or GLM repeated measures designs. Is this the way
to go? And, foremost, should at least the dependent variable be standardised
then?

Thank you for any information.

Best regards,

Hans Bosma

2. vl-, vlx-, vla- lisp functions

3. Help - A question regarding selecting one variable dependent on a date or time variable

4. server keeps shuting down

5. ordinal dependent variables and continuous independent variables

6. usb support under os/2 warp

7. proc MIXED with binary dependent variable

8. Is debug mode secure in pine?

9. limited dependent variable model...

10. A Kronecker dependent variable

11. Coxreg and time-dependent categorical variables

12. How can I tansform this two items value - for dependent variable : Internet Usage

13. How tansform this dependent variable : INTERNET USAGE ?