Proper case

Post by JShrimps, Jr » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:50:55

I have a .sav file with names all in Uppercase.
I would like to update these names in the file
(about 4,000 records) to proper case.
Is there a SPSS function that will do this?

Proper case

Post by Raynald Levesqu » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:45:53

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:50:55 -0400, "JShrimps, Jr."

>I have a .sav file with names all in Uppercase.
>I would like to update these names in the file
>(about 4,000 records) to proper case.
>Is there a SPSS function that will do this?

Hi,

 what is proper case?

For starting points, see file # 1 in
http://pages.infinit.net/rlevesqu/SampleSyntax.htm#Strings

and files #5 and #6 of
http://pages.infinit.net/rlevesqu/SampleSyntax.htm#Concatenate

Regards

Visit My SPSS Pages: http://pages.infinit.net/rlevesqu/index.htm

Proper case

Post by Nick Nelso » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:38:10

> I have a .sav file with names all in Uppercase.
> I would like to update these names in the file
> (about 4,000 records) to proper case.
> Is there a SPSS function that will do this?

If you mean tha t you want all letters in a string
to be lower case except the first:

compute substr(name,2)=lower(substr(name,2)).
execute.

To deal with multiple names, initials or hyphens
won't be so straightforward.

Nick

Proper case

Post by JShrimps, Jr » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:33:56

Yes, that is what I was looking for, but I will need to parse the
names by the space between letters so that the first
letter is Upper case, and the rest are lower case.
Haven't figured that out yet.

> > I have a .sav file with names all in Uppercase.
> > I would like to update these names in the file
> > (about 4,000 records) to proper case.
> > Is there a SPSS function that will do this?

> If you mean tha t you want all letters in a string
> to be lower case except the first:

> compute substr(name,2)=lower(substr(name,2)).
> execute.

> To deal with multiple names, initials or hyphens
> won't be so straightforward.

> Nick

Proper case

Post by Fre » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:14:16

To deal with spaces and hypens, you could try this macro, replace X
with the width of the variable less 1.

Define !Norm ().
!do !i=1 !to X.
if substr(name,!i,1)=' '
substr(name,!i+1,1)=upcase(substr(name,!i+1,1)).
if substr(name,!i,1)='-'
substr(name,!i+1,1)=upcase(substr(name,!i+1,1)).
!doend.
!Enddefine.

!norm.

> Yes, that is what I was looking for, but I will need to parse the
> names by the space between letters so that the first
> letter is Upper case, and the rest are lower case.
> Haven't figured that out yet.

> > > I have a .sav file with names all in Uppercase.
> > > I would like to update these names in the file
> > > (about 4,000 records) to proper case.
> > > Is there a SPSS function that will do this?

> > If you mean tha t you want all letters in a string
> > to be lower case except the first:

> > compute substr(name,2)=lower(substr(name,2)).
> > execute.

> > To deal with multiple names, initials or hyphens
> > won't be so straightforward.

> > Nick

1. Excel 5--Proper Case Problem

Greetings,

We are having difficulty converting text which has been typed in all CAPS
to Proper Case.  The file consists of a simple mailing list, about 250 lines
long.  We are trying to change the first and last name columns to Proper
case from UPPER case.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

If you have the answer, you can either post here or email me.

Douglas M. Munro

2. Help! Color-Blind A2000

3. Help ! - Converting Proper case to Upper case in Vi.

4. Processor Direct Slot on ci (and fx?)

5. Case Reviews, Case & Hardware 'Mod' Links

6. Linker Error: Segment _TEXT exceeds 64K

7. Formating between lower case and upper case..A puzzle

8. Memory is not seen

9. HELP - trying to identify a case and form-factor ... case manufactured by ROSS

10. Test Cases from Use Cases

11. use cases vs test cases

12. Changing text from lower case to upper case