erratic loading of SPSS 10.0

Post by Craig Goodwi » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi everyone

Has anyone else come across this problem.  I am running SPSS 10.0 on a
fairly new PC with Windows 95.  SPSS installed fine but two days later would
not load, not even to the point of displaying the splash screen.  The little
hourglass comes up for about 30 seconds and then just disappears and nothing
else happens.  When I reboot the computer, SPSS will work again for another
few times, then go back to not loading once more.  I've tried reinstalling
and the same thing happens.

I am also running SPSS 6.1 on the same computer but never had any problems
with SPSS 6.1 and SPSS 8.0 running together.

Does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Craig Goodwin
Dept of Marketing
Massey University
New Zealand

erratic loading of SPSS 10.0

Post by James A. Jone » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have had this same problem as well. So far, I have noticed it seems to
be more a problem when my system resources are below 70% (have 128mg RAM
with W98 controlling virtual memory), and usually starts having problems
after I have opened or closed other programs a number of times. I still
have version 9 installed on my machine, and if ver 10.0.05 refuses to
start, I can still start up ver 9 without a problem. I have noticed that
some programs do not seem to return all the system resources they used
after closing, so I suspect the accumulation of wasted memory resources
is somewhat to blame. Perhaps SPSS ver 10 has either greater or more
specific free memory requirements than earlier versions, and that is why
ver 9 and earlier versions will still run under conditions that prevent
ver 10 from starting up. Just a guess on my part, however, and I don't
have a solution other than restarting your computer.

--

James A. Jones, Ph.D.           o___
University Computing Services   _> / _

erratic loading of SPSS 10.0

Post by Tim Daciu » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

Yes, this is a problem with SPSS 10.0.  As a trainer for SPSS, I have
noticed this at several of our training sites.  The resource idea is
interesting, as this problem appears, at least to me, to be totally
random.  For example, I have a room with 12 PCs, all identical.  All PCs
have the same software and are loaded from the same 'ghost' image.
Everyone goes through exactly the same steps.  2 of the 12 PCs exhibit
the behaviour that you are describing!  By the same token, I cannot get
this to happen on my office machine (a Dell 266Mhz), no matter how I try
(I know...I don't have a lot of e*ment in my life)!

One thing that 'appears' to work is to make a desktop icon by dragging
the SPSSWIN.EXE entry from Explorer to the desktop.  This appears to
reduce the problem but does not remove it.  In the event that the icon
does not work, your only choice is to reboot (as far as I can tell).

Tim