post hoc comparisons for Kruskall-Wallis nonparametric Tests

post hoc comparisons for Kruskall-Wallis nonparametric Tests

Post by David Kurzm » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

I have conducted a sereis of KW analyses on catagorical data and would
like to conduct post hoc tests to determine which groups differ from
each other.   Although I can run a series of Mann-Whitney U tests to
compare each groups with each other I was hoping for a more
parsimonoius method akin to that provided via the oneway Anova method
which allows post hoc comparisons of groups.

Does anyone know of a mthod or is there a macro that could do this?

Also,  is it possible to conduct a Dunn's test within SPSS (or is
there a macro) for examining post hgoc comparisons in nonparametric
data?

Thanks

David Kurzman, PhD

post hoc comparisons for Kruskall-Wallis nonparametric Tests

Post by Bruce Weave » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi David,
        Re your first question, Siegel & Castellan (1988) discuss
all pairwise comparisons between treatments, and comparison of k-1
treatments with a control following a significant Kruskal-Wallis test
(see pages 213-215).  The reference for the book is:

Siegel, S., & Castellan, N.J. (1988). Nonparametric statistics for the
   behavi*sciences (2nd Ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bruce
--
Bruce Weaver
Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics

Homepage: http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Hi there,

> I have conducted a sereis of KW analyses on catagorical data and would
> like to conduct post hoc tests to determine which groups differ from
> each other.   Although I can run a series of Mann-Whitney U tests to
> compare each groups with each other I was hoping for a more
> parsimonoius method akin to that provided via the oneway Anova method
> which allows post hoc comparisons of groups.

> Does anyone know of a mthod or is there a macro that could do this?

> Also,  is it possible to conduct a Dunn's test within SPSS (or is
> there a macro) for examining post hgoc comparisons in nonparametric
> data?

> Thanks

> David Kurzman, PhD

1. Macro Required > Nonparametric Tests > Post hoc comparisons for Kruskal Wallis test

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has a macro to perform a post hoc analysis (such
as Dunn's Test) for a Kruskal-Wallis Test. Surprisingly SPSS will perform
the KW test, but even in 11.5 does not provide a means of analysing which
pairs of groups differ significantly. I note the SPSS web site suggests
performing a series of Mann Whitney tests, but Dunn's Test (Neave and
Worthington, 1988, Distribution Free Statistics, Unwin Hyman: London)
provides a more acceptable resolution. I note that Minitab provides this
functionality since version 9 or 10.

If anyone has a macro/script to perform these multiple comparisons then it
would be greatly appreciated.

Yours faithfully
Peter Edwards
University of Sydney, Australia

2. [no subject]

3. post hoc analysis following Kruskal-Wallis Test

4. Site comm thru firewall

5. post-hoc comparisons possible with covariates?

6. access server configuration

7. post hoc multiple comparison

8. FS: 4 meg GVP simms

9. Post-hoc test for continuous covariate

10. post-hoc tests for within-subjects ANOVA

11. post hoc tests in GLM

12. SPSS post hoc tests

13. Post-Hoc Tests