Nortel Extranet Access VPN Client with XP Pro and Linksys Wireless BEFW11S4 V2

Nortel Extranet Access VPN Client with XP Pro and Linksys Wireless BEFW11S4 V2

Post by John Smyt » Sat, 18 May 2002 22:49:44

I read this several time and I think you're trying to do this.
Connect to your corporate LAN via VPN AND access your Home LAN resources.

If this is so, you probably can't because once the VPN is enabled, the admin
probably has you locked down.
There are ways around this, one is that you'll need to use an alternative
protocol on your Home LAN (ie. none IP).

Quote:> I connect with the Nortel Extranet Access Client version 4.12.03 via
> my Linksys wireless router BEFW11S4 v.2 on my DSL connection on my
> home pc with Windows XP Pro. I can connect immediately with the Nortel
> client but when I try to access an emulator, it has no connection. I
> have to right click on the VPN connection and disable it, then log
> back on over and over until I finally get a "real" connection and can
> get logged onto my emulator for work.

> Once I am connected (after about 10-15 tries) I can successfully map
> drives to my corporate servers and use all the network resources.

> I have tried the Extranet Access client versions 4.10 thru 4.15, but
> it's the same thing.

> Any ideas? I'm not very good at networking and just trying to see if
> there is something I might be able to do so I get a good VPN
> connection for my emulator on the first try. I suspect it may have
> something to do with the wireless router, but I'm not sure.

> Thanks!

> Dave

Nortel Extranet Access VPN Client with XP Pro and Linksys Wireless BEFW11S4 V2

Post by ICC » Sun, 19 May 2002 04:23:49

John tell your CES admin to make a NON split tunnel profile for you or your
group.  This will force everything down the tunnel and the lag shouldn't be
an issue.  I can't really give details about this but it does work for most
issues like this.

> I read this several time and I think you're trying to do this.
> Connect to your corporate LAN via VPN AND access your Home LAN resources.

> If this is so, you probably can't because once the VPN is enabled, the
admin
> probably has you locked down.
> There are ways around this, one is that you'll need to use an alternative
> protocol on your Home LAN (ie. none IP).

> > I connect with the Nortel Extranet Access Client version 4.12.03 via
> > my Linksys wireless router BEFW11S4 v.2 on my DSL connection on my
> > home pc with Windows XP Pro. I can connect immediately with the Nortel
> > client but when I try to access an emulator, it has no connection. I
> > have to right click on the VPN connection and disable it, then log
> > back on over and over until I finally get a "real" connection and can
> > get logged onto my emulator for work.

> > Once I am connected (after about 10-15 tries) I can successfully map
> > drives to my corporate servers and use all the network resources.

> > I have tried the Extranet Access client versions 4.10 thru 4.15, but
> > it's the same thing.

> > Any ideas? I'm not very good at networking and just trying to see if
> > there is something I might be able to do so I get a good VPN
> > connection for my emulator on the first try. I suspect it may have
> > something to do with the wireless router, but I'm not sure.

> > Thanks!

> > Dave

Nortel Extranet Access VPN Client with XP Pro and Linksys Wireless BEFW11S4 V2

Post by John Smyt » Sun, 19 May 2002 04:49:08

ICC, Dave L. asked the question.

I know all about split tunneling.  If this is the case, and if the admin
doesn't allow it (which he shouldn't) then the only option for the user is
alternative protocols or disabling VPN.

> John tell your CES admin to make a NON split tunnel profile for you or
your
> group.  This will force everything down the tunnel and the lag shouldn't
be
> an issue.  I can't really give details about this but it does work for
most
> issues like this.

> > I read this several time and I think you're trying to do this.
> > Connect to your corporate LAN via VPN AND access your Home LAN
resources.

> > If this is so, you probably can't because once the VPN is enabled, the
> admin
> > probably has you locked down.
> > There are ways around this, one is that you'll need to use an
alternative
> > protocol on your Home LAN (ie. none IP).

> > > I connect with the Nortel Extranet Access Client version 4.12.03 via
> > > my Linksys wireless router BEFW11S4 v.2 on my DSL connection on my
> > > home pc with Windows XP Pro. I can connect immediately with the Nortel
> > > client but when I try to access an emulator, it has no connection. I
> > > have to right click on the VPN connection and disable it, then log
> > > back on over and over until I finally get a "real" connection and can
> > > get logged onto my emulator for work.

> > > Once I am connected (after about 10-15 tries) I can successfully map
> > > drives to my corporate servers and use all the network resources.

> > > I have tried the Extranet Access client versions 4.10 thru 4.15, but
> > > it's the same thing.

> > > Any ideas? I'm not very good at networking and just trying to see if
> > > there is something I might be able to do so I get a good VPN
> > > connection for my emulator on the first try. I suspect it may have
> > > something to do with the wireless router, but I'm not sure.

> > > Thanks!

> > > Dave

Nortel Extranet Access VPN Client with XP Pro and Linksys Wireless BEFW11S4 V2

Post by ICC » Sun, 19 May 2002 05:46:18

Sorry James it shows how tired I am by frday.  If the emulator is at a
remote location and he needs access to it via his VPN the NON SPT will work.
This is atleast how I read his question.  If the emulator is at home he can
run NetBUI or better IPX/SPX for his home LAN.  There's nothing wrong with
Split tunneling however on the Nortel side all of the WAN traffic goes to
the CES box and then get rerouted if it isn't on that subnet.  Symantec and
Checkpoint route non subnet traffic stright from the client, just a FYI.

Post by Dave » Sun, 19 May 2002 12:28:57

> Sorry James it shows how tired I am by frday.  If the emulator is at a
> remote location and he needs access to it via his VPN the NON SPT will work.
> This is atleast how I read his question.  If the emulator is at home he can
> run NetBUI or better IPX/SPX for his home LAN.  There's nothing wrong with
> Split tunneling however on the Nortel side all of the WAN traffic goes to
> the CES box and then get rerouted if it isn't on that subnet.  Symantec and
> Checkpoint route non subnet traffic stright from the client, just a FYI.

> > ICC, Dave L. asked the question.

> > I know all about split tunneling.  If this is the case, and if the admin
> > doesn't allow it (which he shouldn't) then the only option for the user is
> > alternative protocols or disabling VPN.

> > > John tell your CES admin to make a NON split tunnel profile for you or
>  your
> > > group.  This will force everything down the tunnel and the lag shouldn't
>  be
> > > an issue.  I can't really give details about this but it does work for
>  most
> > > issues like this.

>  resources.

>  admin
>  alternative

>  Nortel
>  can

> > >I do run the emulator on my pc at home. It's IBM Personal

Communications. Somtimes I get a connection in the emulator on the
first try (when I bring up the EAC) but most of the time I bring up
the EAC and it says I am connected and the emulator or corporate
intranet sites say no. So i right click and disconnect from the EAC
and then connect it again and over and over until I finally get the
connection on my emulator.

Thanks!

Nortel Extranet Access VPN Client with XP Pro and Linksys Wireless BEFW11S4 V2

Post by Robert Willi » Tue, 21 May 2002 02:10:16

After you connect to your corporate network via the Nortel VPN, use the
IPCONFIG utility to view your Connection specific DNS entries. I'll bet that
when you cannot make the connection to your network resource there is NO
entry present. when you repeatedly start and stop the Nortel VPN Client you
will eventually get a Connection Specific DNS entry. This has been a problem
with the Nortel VPN Client and XP and they have released a new version
(V04_15.06) which was suppose to eliminate the problem. It still has the
problem but appears to make the correct connection most of the time.

FYI: In my case without a proper Connection Specific DNS my corporate E-MAIL
will not work correctly (Lotus NOTES), however I am still able to pass files
using FTP.

--
Regards
Robert Willis