@home VPN

Post by pmoffett » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 12:51:49

network between various different OS (all MS based though) in several
different cities....
1. is it possible
2. is it as easy as I think it is

4. will I be able to take advantage of 100baseT?

thanks for your help
Rhyinem

@home VPN

Post by + G » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 23:05:27

> network between various different OS (all MS based though) in several
> different cities....
> 1. is it possible

Yes.  Yes, as long as they can be reached via a common network, like the
Internet.

Quote:> 2. is it as easy as I think it is

Depends on what you consider easy.  I would say it would be easy, maybe not
reliable, but easy.  Home serving only ISP's are NOT yet business class IMO.

VPN clients, lowest common denomintor is MS PPTP.  IPSEC and L2TP aren't
available on 95, 98, ME for example (well from MS at least).

Quote:> 4. will I be able to take advantage of 100baseT?

Sure, if you have a 100Mbps Ethernet card connected to a cable modem, IP
traffic will flow over it.  Remember, that you're only as fast as your
slowest link.  Example, the old style parallel port 10Mbps Ethernet cards
for laptops.  How fast did the packets transmit on them, answer, 10Mbps.
How much throughput did you actually get?  Answer, what's the transfer rate
of a parallel port into the PC, 112Kbps.  So your bottle next in your case
will be your cable modem and your ISP's network, not the 100Mbps card.

One bonus though, going with one common ISP, is that all your traffic
confined to their network.   You may see an improvement versus mixing and
matching ISPs.

Quote:

> thanks for your help
> Rhyinem

@home VPN

Post by .:. » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 12:51:48

The Internet Appliance INTERNETpro SOHO - has up to 4 concurrent VPN
connections, behind a secure Firewall. Also includes shared Internet Access
/ NAT / DHCP / Separate Dial In - Out / 10-100 Ethernet.

http://www.ware1.com/SOHO.htm

-Bill.

> network between various different OS (all MS based though) in several
> different cities....
> 1. is it possible
> 2. is it as easy as I think it is

> 4. will I be able to take advantage of 100baseT?

> thanks for your help
> Rhyinem

1. Cisco IP Phone - Home VPN

Craig,

I haven't done what you are suggesting, but I think it could get messy.
You'd have to do the internet sharing thing on your pc for the vpn
connection and then you could just program your call manager ips into the
phone.  You may potentially have problems with this due to the heavy use of
udp for voip.  I'd suggest one of two things.  1) Do a network to network
vpn.  Then the phone part becomes easy - you can just set up the call
manager ips.  2) Use a softphone on your pc.

Good luck,

Jim

2. Line noise question

3. @home VPN restrictions?

4. Sportster 28.8 and Call-Waiting.

5. WinXP Pro to WinXP home VPN through dlink router PPTP or IPsec

6. Fitting a SCSI Card; help please?

7. single-homed VPN

8. No mouse or keyboard during GUI part of install

9. home office, office home... connecting the two with a vpn for cheap or better.

10. (((((HOMES)))))(((((HOMES)))))(((((HOMES)))))(((((0-DOWN)))) 9032

11. Fiber to the Desk/Curb/Home, Home LAN, Intelligent Home?

12. (((((HOMES)))))(((((HOMES)))))(((((HOMES)))))(((((0-DOWN)))) 9032