I did something dumb....advice please

Post by DM » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:15:18

I bought a piece of software with multiple discs that were mislabeled.
I stuck a small piece of a floppy disc label on one of the cd-roms,
never giving it a thought that the damn drive spins so fast the label
would come off inside the drive. It was 1/2" square or so. Well, it
came off inside. Duh

The drive is still working. It is a Toshiba DVD-Rom SD-M1612. Is it a
difficult task to open the drive case and get inside to get at the
label? Are any special tools required? or maybe I should leave well
enough alone. We've been inside the case of hard drives before, never
a cd or dvd-rom.

TIA

I did something dumb....advice please

Post by Andy » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:19:03

I would leave well enough alone.

Quote:>I bought a piece of software with multiple discs that were mislabeled.
>I stuck a small piece of a floppy disc label on one of the cd-roms,
>never giving it a thought that the damn drive spins so fast the label
>would come off inside the drive. It was 1/2" square or so. Well, it
>came off inside. Duh

>The drive is still working. It is a Toshiba DVD-Rom SD-M1612. Is it a
>difficult task to open the drive case and get inside to get at the
>label? Are any special tools required? or maybe I should leave well
>enough alone. We've been inside the case of hard drives before, never
>a cd or dvd-rom.

>TIA

1. Dumb Question: Finishing . . . (what is it doing?)

OK, this isn't really an important issue, but it really bugs me.  Whenever
I write a CD on my Ricoh RS-9200CD at the very end, after the mastering
software has reported that all the data is written, the status box will
say "Finishing . . ." and it will sit there for a good 3 minutes, or so.

As fas as I can tell, it's not doing anything.  No data xfer.  No nothin.
Also, it does this with the Toast software I use now and the older (and
very crappy) QuickTopix software I used to use.

So, does anyone know why I have to wait an extra 3 minures before I can get
my disks?

Wayne

--
Give me Limbaugh or give me . . . well not death, but life would be
pretty boring without my daily dose.

2. Creative DVD-RAM drive

3. Dumb DOS question

4. Old PC-HD on the ST? Is it possible?

5. I've done something wrong when adding a burner

6. Tabbing??

7. Am I doing something wrong with Nero 5.0.0.9??????

8. 4 Mb dataram memory card

9. **** my plextor px-r412Ci wont overburn (maybe i'm doing something wrong?) ****

10. Recording CDROM while computer doing something else

11. PLEASE PLEASE - Copying in DOS

12. Need Advice on Best Software for making CD's Readable by DOS.

13. Unable to read burnt disc - Please advice urgent......