Parallel CD-RW onto a new SATA machine?

Post by Carlos Coimbr » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:16:09

Serial ATA is the new controller thing, radically different
from years-old parallel ATA IDE.

If one gets a new machine with a new M/B which supports SATA
and comes with a SATA HD, how's a guy to connect his current
CD-RW which fits only a parallel cable (and any other HD
that he might have around, if only to transfer data onto
the new one)?

Do new M/B also have parallel connectors or are there cards
that connect through a slot?

Post by Mike Richte » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:29:31

> Serial ATA is the new controller thing, radically different
> from years-old parallel ATA IDE.

> If one gets a new machine with a new M/B which supports SATA
> and comes with a SATA HD, how's a guy to connect his current
> CD-RW which fits only a parallel cable (and any other HD
> that he might have around, if only to transfer data onto
> the new one)?

> Do new M/B also have parallel connectors or are there cards
> that connect through a slot?

If it's worth worrying about (and assuming that your new mobo does not
have parallel), try a USB/parallel converter. They're made for printers,
but should support a slow (parallel) drive. You should check first on
whether your software will see it, though.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Parallel CD-RW onto a new SATA machine?

Post by Graham Mayo » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:37:26

Current mbs that use Serial ATA, have both interfaces. I can't see this
being a problem for a few years yet.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
 Graham Mayor

Post by Mike » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:58:23

>> Serial ATA is the new controller thing, radically different
>> from years-old parallel ATA IDE.

>> If one gets a new machine with a new M/B which supports SATA
>> and comes with a SATA HD, how's a guy to connect his current
>> CD-RW which fits only a parallel cable (and any other HD
>> that he might have around, if only to transfer data onto
>> the new one)?

>> Do new M/B also have parallel connectors or are there cards
>> that connect through a slot?

>If it's worth worrying about (and assuming that your new mobo does not
>have parallel), try a USB/parallel converter. They're made for printers,
>but should support a slow (parallel) drive. You should check first on
>whether your software will see it, though.

He's talking about parallel (as opposed to serial) ATA ... not a printer
port.