100X CD ROM

Post by jim calderwoo » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Digital Research has a 100X max CD ROM that comes with a sound card for $149
at office depot.  It's multiread and udma compatible.  Does anyone know how
good it is at DAE and whether the sound card is any good? It seems like a
pretty good deal for someone like me who will need both a new CD Rom and
sound card to get into recording audio CDs.

100X CD ROM

Post by Mike Richte » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Digital Research has a 100X max CD ROM that comes with a sound card for $149
> at office depot.  It's multiread and udma compatible.  Does anyone know how
> good it is at DAE and whether the sound card is any good? It seems like a
> pretty good deal for someone like me who will need both a new CD Rom and
> sound card to get into recording audio CDs.

What buss does it use? I don't believe that even SCSI III will handle 15
MB/sec.

Mike

--

http://mrichter.simplenet.com
CD-R http://resource.simplenet.com

100X CD ROM

Post by Jonathan Santaa » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>> Digital Research has a 100X max CD ROM that comes with a sound card for $149
>> at office depot.  It's multiread and udma compatible.  Does anyone know how
>> good it is at DAE and whether the sound card is any good? It seems like a
>> pretty good deal for someone like me who will need both a new CD Rom and
>> sound card to get into recording audio CDs.

>What buss does it use? I don't believe that even SCSI III will handle 15
>MB/sec.

  If it's anything like the one I've seen around here (some time ago),
it's no 100x reader.  (After all, it was just recently that someone
announced a 42x CD-ROM, and that was by revamping quite a bit of the
technology it used).

  What it is, in fact, is an 8x CD-ROM (quality unknown) with drivers
that view your hard disk as a nice place to cache things.  Like the
entire CD, if you have the space for it.  This means that you'll only get
15Mb/sec if:
  (a) You're running an OS that their drivers support
  (b) You've got enough hard disk space to store the entire CD
  (c) You've left it idle long enough for the drivers to copy the entire
      CD to your hard drive when they thought you wouldn't notice
and (d) your hard drive can itself deliver 15 Mb/sec.

  I don't know of any drives in use today (at least on systems that
you're going to be plugging a standard PC-type CD-ROM (IDE, I believe)
into) that can deliver data at 15 Mb/sec.  I believe some of the more
expensive flavours of SCSI support this speed, but none of the actual
devices I know of do...

   Jonathan

100X CD ROM

Post by Blak » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Digital Research has a 100X max CD ROM that comes with a sound card for $149
>at office depot.  It's multiread and udma compatible.  Does anyone know how
>good it is at DAE and whether the sound card is any good? It seems like a
>pretty good deal for someone like me who will need both a new CD Rom and
>sound card to get into recording audio CDs.

I'll bet it's not really a 100x.  Probably some type of marketing
hype.  For $149 for the drive and sound card, I would be suspicious of
the 100x claim.  Whats the sustained xfer rate of the drive?

Blake

Please remove the 454 from my email address if responding
by email (SPAM protection):

100X CD ROM

Post by Stiletto 13 » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Digital Research has a 100X max CD ROM >

    Yeah right.... I'm 14 feet tall and I weigh 600 pounds...

    Stephane... somewhere in Canada....

100X CD ROM

Post by Ar » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I bet you quite a bit of money that it is a harddrive/cd rom box... it
copies everything to the hd and then accesses at an equivalent 100x
max...

the max theoretical limit for spining a CD is about 32-40x, I think...

there are new drives coming out that read 7 sectors at a time, and
those actually spin at 12x (or something like that) but the throughput
is closer to 50-100x...

you cannot spin a disk that fast... think about it :)

Art

>>Digital Research has a 100X max CD ROM that comes with a sound card for $149
>>at office depot.  It's multiread and udma compatible.  Does anyone know how
>>good it is at DAE and whether the sound card is any good? It seems like a
>>pretty good deal for someone like me who will need both a new CD Rom and
>>sound card to get into recording audio CDs.

>"It isn't lying, it's marketing!"

100X CD ROM

Post by Mike Richte » Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 21:42:01 -0700, Mike Richter

> >What buss does it use? I don't believe that even SCSI III will handle 15
> >MB/sec.

> >Mike

> Oh yes it does. U2W handles 80Mb/s.

Isn't that b as in bits, not B as in bytes?

Mike

http://mrichter.simplenet.com
CD-R http://resource.simplenet.com

100X CD ROM

Post by Henr » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

says...

> > On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 21:42:01 -0700, Mike Richter

> > >What buss does it use? I don't believe that even SCSI III will handle 15
> > >MB/sec.

> > >Mike

> > Oh yes it does. U2W handles 80Mb/s.

> Isn't that b as in bits, not B as in bytes?

> Mike

> http://mrichter.simplenet.com
> CD-R http://resource.simplenet.com

no, that's megaBYTEs

100X CD ROM

Post by Linda + Robert Petrell » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I heard that is just disk caching.  The drive just copies some or all of the cd
to the hdd.  When reading from the hdd, it just seems like 100x.