CDRom for old lady

Post by han » Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Can anybody please help me with this problem:

My 90 years old mother-in-law has almost no reading or hearing
capabilities anymore and spends all of her days quarreling. The only
thing she is still interested in is music.

What I need for her is a walkman with no more than one very big red (
alarm - like) button to switch it on and off, absolutely nothing more.
I have good hope that I can teach her in less than 3 days ( if I do my
utmost best ) to press the one and only button to get music on her
earphone. I cannot find a CDRom or cassette recorder with auto-reverse
that satisfies this specification.

So I decided to build one, using CDRom ( Hitachi  IDE ) in a box with
a 5V adapter and also a 12V adapter since PC power unit is far to
heavy. ( Question: are there any special specifications on stability
and tolerance on Voltage ? ). What I cannot find is how to make it
spin, using the 40 pin connector at the back. No computershop could
help me ( " we know how to install a CDRom in PC box, that's all" ).

I do have IBM 0662 specification with configuration of ATA connector
40 pin but it does not mention the word 'spinning'.  Could it be the
RESET pin #1 ( left in toprow ), but that must be grounded. (
"Hardware reset to the drive; an active low signal" ). If so, what
second pin to use and on what Voltage?

Nieuwenhuizen
990814

CDRom for old lady

Post by Dick Lu » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Can anybody please help me with this problem:

>My 90 years old mother-in-law has almost no reading or hearing
>capabilities anymore and spends all of her days quarreling. The only
>thing she is still interested in is music.

>What I need for her is a walkman with no more than one very big red (
>alarm - like) button to switch it on and off,

You can find switches of all sizes and shapes (almost) in electrical supply
stores.

1. CDRom for old lady

Can anybody please help me with this problem:

My 90 years old mother-in-law has almost no reading or hearing
capabilities anymore and spends all of her days quarreling. The only
thing she is still interested in is music.

What I need for her is a walkman with no more than one very big red (
alarm - like) button to switch it on and off, absolutely nothing more.
I have good hope that I can teach her in less than 3 days ( if I do my
utmost best ) to press the one and only button to get music on her
earphone. I cannot find a CDRom or cassette recorder with auto-reverse
that meets this specification.

So I decided to build one, using CDRom ( Hitachi  IDE ) in a box with
a 5V adapter and also a 12V adapter since PC power unit is far to
heavy. ( Question: are there any special specifications on stability
and tolerance on Voltage ? ). What I cannot find is how to make it
spin, using the 40 pin connector at the back. No computershop could
help me ( " we know how to install a CDRom in PC box, that's all" ).

I do have IBM 0662 specification with configuration of ATA connector
40 pin but it does not mention the word 'spinning'.  Could it be the
RESET pin #1 ( left in toprow ), but that must be grounded. (
"Hardware reset to the drive; an active low signal" ). If so, what
second pin to use and on what Voltage?

Nieuwenhuizen
990819

2. InfoServer 1000 and Pioneer CD Changers?

3. Lady needs buying advice on CD-RW...

4. 060 cards for A2000, whats available

5. frankly ladies and gentlemen....

6. Solution to reset button problem

7. WinOnCd option ′Never replace old files′makes old tracks invisible

8. GetChanges(DataRowState.Deleted) problem.... Help!!!

9. Help with installing old CD-ROM in old IBM PS/2

10. Old cdrom problem