Mp3 vs. data files

Post by JJGr » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 06:41:57

When I try to burn a cd in NERO using music, MP3, it does'nt allow for
multisessions. But when I burn them as data in NERO it allows for
multisessions. I have a Sony cd boombox that also plays MP3's besides
regular audio burned cd's. It It also plays my data burned disks. My
question is what is the difference in burning as Mp3's or as data when
both play on my player?
John

Mp3 vs. data files

Post by tomca » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:19:13

Forgive me if I misunderstand your question but maybe this will clear up
the confusion. When you use Nero to burn a Music CD it will
automatically convert your MP3s to cda format. If you want to retain
your MP3 format just burn it as a data cd instead.

> When I try to burn a cd in NERO using music, MP3, it does'nt allow for
> multisessions. But when I burn them as data in NERO it allows for
> multisessions. I have a Sony cd boombox that also plays MP3's besides
> regular audio burned cd's. It It also plays my data burned disks. My
> question is what is the difference in burning as Mp3's or as data when
> both play on my player?
> John

Mp3 vs. data files

Post by tomca » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:25:53

Sorry, I just realized what your question was. The difference is format.
MP3 is highly compressed, holds about 180 songs on a CD and requires a
player with a decode capability. The Music CD is .cda format, holds
about 20 songs, and is more universally playable.

> When I try to burn a cd in NERO using music, MP3, it does'nt allow for
> multisessions. But when I burn them as data in NERO it allows for
> multisessions. I have a Sony cd boombox that also plays MP3's besides
> regular audio burned cd's. It It also plays my data burned disks. My
> question is what is the difference in burning as Mp3's or as data when
> both play on my player?
> John

Mp3 vs. data files

Post by Mike Richte » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:37:53

> Sorry, I just realized what your question was. The difference is format.
> MP3 is highly compressed, holds about 180 songs on a CD and requires a
> player with a decode capability. The Music CD is .cda format, holds
> about 20 songs, and is more universally playable.

>> When I try to burn a cd in NERO using music, MP3, it does'nt allow for
>> multisessions. But when I burn them as data in NERO it allows for
>> multisessions. I have a Sony cd boombox that also plays MP3's besides
>> regular audio burned cd's. It It also plays my data burned disks. My
>> question is what is the difference in burning as Mp3's or as data when
>> both play on my player?
>> John

In fact, your first reply was also relevant - except, of course, that
there is no ".cda", format or otherwise.

Competent mastering programs do not support multisession CD-DA. That's
because audio players in general are single-session.

The next part of the answer is that MP3 is a lossy compression, so the
sound will be degraded compared with CD-DA. However, at a high enough
bitrate, the loss will be acceptable to the listener. How high a bitrate
depends on the material, the listener, the playback equipment, the
encoder and other factors.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Mp3 vs. data files

Post by Joh » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:59:29

> > Sorry, I just realized what your question was. The difference is format.
> > MP3 is highly compressed, holds about 180 songs on a CD and requires a
> > player with a decode capability. The Music CD is .cda format, holds
> > about 20 songs, and is more universally playable.

> >> When I try to burn a cd in NERO using music, MP3, it does'nt allow for
> >> multisessions. But when I burn them as data in NERO it allows for
> >> multisessions. I have a Sony cd boombox that also plays MP3's besides
> >> regular audio burned cd's. It It also plays my data burned disks. My
> >> question is what is the difference in burning as Mp3's or as data when
> >> both play on my player?
> >> John

> In fact, your first reply was also relevant - except, of course, that
> there is no ".cda", format or otherwise.

> Competent mastering programs do not support multisession CD-DA. That's
> because audio players in general are single-session.

> The next part of the answer is that MP3 is a lossy compression, so the
> sound will be degraded compared with CD-DA. However, at a high enough
> bitrate, the loss will be acceptable to the listener. How high a bitrate
> depends on the material, the listener, the playback equipment, the
> encoder and other factors.

> Mike

Mike,
I didn't explain it correctly in my post. In Nero there is a choice of
burning music as "Mp3" or "audio". Also there is a choice of burning
"data"files. Whether I burn as Mp3 or data, either way, the cd holds a
couple hundred songs. When I play it from either cd the Mp3 light on
my player goes on and it plays.
I was wondering if burning as "data" is the same as burning as Mp3,
since they both hold the same amount of songs and both play on the
player.
John

Mp3 vs. data files

Post by Fran » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 12:11:16

Does Nero have a way to burn as MP3 w/o using the ISO DATA mode??  I tried
data mode and it re-sorts all the MP3 files.  Really stinks.

> > > Sorry, I just realized what your question was. The difference is
format.
> > > MP3 is highly compressed, holds about 180 songs on a CD and requires a
> > > player with a decode capability. The Music CD is .cda format, holds
> > > about 20 songs, and is more universally playable.

> > In fact, your first reply was also relevant - except, of course, that
> > there is no ".cda", format or otherwise.

> > Competent mastering programs do not support multisession CD-DA. That's
> > because audio players in general are single-session.

> > The next part of the answer is that MP3 is a lossy compression, so the
> > sound will be degraded compared with CD-DA. However, at a high enough
> > bitrate, the loss will be acceptable to the listener. How high a bitrate
> > depends on the material, the listener, the playback equipment, the
> > encoder and other factors.

> > Mike

> Mike,
> I didn't explain it correctly in my post. In Nero there is a choice of
> burning music as "Mp3" or "audio". Also there is a choice of burning
> "data"files. Whether I burn as Mp3 or data, either way, the cd holds a
> couple hundred songs. When I play it from either cd the Mp3 light on
> my player goes on and it plays.
> I was wondering if burning as "data" is the same as burning as Mp3,
> since they both hold the same amount of songs and both play on the
> player.
> John

Mp3 vs. data files

Post by Joh » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:22:57

Nero has one button for music under which are four choices:AUDIO CD,
AUDIO CD AND DATA, MP3 DISK, WMA DISK. Another button is titled DATA
and has two choices: DATA DISK, BOOTABLE DATA DISK. It has another
button for burning video and one for copying a disk. What I did was to
use the MP3 choice under music and use the DATA DISK choice under
data. They both play as MP3's on my player.
John

> Does Nero have a way to burn as MP3 w/o using the ISO DATA mode??  I tried
> data mode and it re-sorts all the MP3 files.  Really stinks.

>  format.

>  for
>  when

> > > In fact, your first reply was also relevant - except, of course, that
> > > there is no ".cda", format or otherwise.

> > > Competent mastering programs do not support multisession CD-DA. That's
> > > because audio players in general are single-session.

> > > The next part of the answer is that MP3 is a lossy compression, so the
> > > sound will be degraded compared with CD-DA. However, at a high enough
> > > bitrate, the loss will be acceptable to the listener. How high a bitrate
> > > depends on the material, the listener, the playback equipment, the
> > > encoder and other factors.

> > > Mike

> > Mike,
> > I didn't explain it correctly in my post. In Nero there is a choice of
> > burning music as "Mp3" or "audio". Also there is a choice of burning
> > "data"files. Whether I burn as Mp3 or data, either way, the cd holds a
> > couple hundred songs. When I play it from either cd the Mp3 light on
> > my player goes on and it plays.
> > I was wondering if burning as "data" is the same as burning as Mp3,
> > since they both hold the same amount of songs and both play on the
> > player.
> > John

Mp3 vs. data files

Post by Fran » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 07:53:21

What do you mean, a button for MUSIC.   I am using Nero 5.5.10.20 and have
an AUDIO CD selection which has no sub-selections.  Maybe you have a
diferent version of Nero.  Please let me know.
Frank

> Nero has one button for music under which are four choices:AUDIO CD,
> AUDIO CD AND DATA, MP3 DISK, WMA DISK. Another button is titled DATA
> and has two choices: DATA DISK, BOOTABLE DATA DISK. It has another
> button for burning video and one for copying a disk. What I did was to
> use the MP3 choice under music and use the DATA DISK choice under
> data. They both play as MP3's on my player.
> John

> > Does Nero have a way to burn as MP3 w/o using the ISO DATA mode??  I
tried
> > data mode and it re-sorts all the MP3 files.  Really stinks.

> >  format.

> >  for
My
> >  when

That's

> > > Mike,
> > > I didn't explain it correctly in my post. In Nero there is a choice of
> > > burning music as "Mp3" or "audio". Also there is a choice of burning
> > > "data"files. Whether I burn as Mp3 or data, either way, the cd holds a
> > > couple hundred songs. When I play it from either cd the Mp3 light on
> > > my player goes on and it plays.
> > > I was wondering if burning as "data" is the same as burning as Mp3,
> > > since they both hold the same amount of songs and both play on the
> > > player.
> > > John

Mp3 vs. data files

Post by Joh » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:57:56

I have Nero version 5.5.9.0. It came with my TDK velocd drive. It is
called Nero Express. It also came packaged with Digital Mixmaster
which I could never get to work on my computer.
John

> What do you mean, a button for MUSIC.   I am using Nero 5.5.10.20 and have
> an AUDIO CD selection which has no sub-selections.  Maybe you have a
> diferent version of Nero.  Please let me know.
> Frank

> > Nero has one button for music under which are four choices:AUDIO CD,
> > AUDIO CD AND DATA, MP3 DISK, WMA DISK. Another button is titled DATA
> > and has two choices: DATA DISK, BOOTABLE DATA DISK. It has another
> > button for burning video and one for copying a disk. What I did was to
> > use the MP3 choice under music and use the DATA DISK choice under
> > data. They both play as MP3's on my player.
> > John

> > > Does Nero have a way to burn as MP3 w/o using the ISO DATA mode??  I
>  tried
> > > data mode and it re-sorts all the MP3 files.  Really stinks.

>  format.
>  requires a
>  holds

>  allow
>  for
>  besides
>  My
>  when

>  that

>  That's

>  the
>  enough
>  bitrate

Mp3 vs. data files

Post by Fran » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 05:28:36

My Nero 5.5.10.20 also came with my TDK burner, but it is not Nero Express,
it is full Nero.  Maybe only Express has the multiple AUDIO burn modes.
Frank

> I have Nero version 5.5.9.0. It came with my TDK velocd drive. It is
> called Nero Express. It also came packaged with Digital Mixmaster
> which I could never get to work on my computer.
> John

> > What do you mean, a button for MUSIC.   I am using Nero 5.5.10.20 and
have
> > an AUDIO CD selection which has no sub-selections.  Maybe you have a
> > diferent version of Nero.  Please let me know.
> > Frank

> > > Nero has one button for music under which are four choices:AUDIO CD,
> > > AUDIO CD AND DATA, MP3 DISK, WMA DISK. Another button is titled DATA
> > > and has two choices: DATA DISK, BOOTABLE DATA DISK. It has another
> > > button for burning video and one for copying a disk. What I did was to
> > > use the MP3 choice under music and use the DATA DISK choice under
> > > data. They both play as MP3's on my player.
> > > John

> >  tried

> >  format.
> >  requires a
> >  holds

> >  allow
> >  for
> >  besides
> >  My
> >  when

> >  that

> >  That's

> >  the
> >  enough
> >  bitrate

Mp3,

Mp3 vs. data files

Post by Fran » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 06:21:25

I just found out how to get Nero Express to run when using Nero.  In a DOS
box, run Nero /W. It brings Express right up.  I selected AUDIO CD/MP3, and
it went to a screen to enter MP3 files. As I entered them, it sorted them
and did NOT allow me to change the sort sequence.  It acted just like Nero
does when making a DATA CD.  It also would NOT take M3U playlists. It does
not seem to have any advantage over Nero. I'm still looking for a way to
write MP3 files(as MP3 files) in MY selected order, without folders,
preferably from a playlist.
Frank

> I have Nero version 5.5.9.0. It came with my TDK velocd drive. It is
> called Nero Express. It also came packaged with Digital Mixmaster
> which I could never get to work on my computer.
> John

> > What do you mean, a button for MUSIC.   I am using Nero 5.5.10.20 and
have
> > an AUDIO CD selection which has no sub-selections.  Maybe you have a
> > diferent version of Nero.  Please let me know.
> > Frank

> > > Nero has one button for music under which are four choices:AUDIO CD,
> > > AUDIO CD AND DATA, MP3 DISK, WMA DISK. Another button is titled DATA
> > > and has two choices: DATA DISK, BOOTABLE DATA DISK. It has another
> > > button for burning video and one for copying a disk. What I did was to
> > > use the MP3 choice under music and use the DATA DISK choice under
> > > data. They both play as MP3's on my player.
> > > John

> >  tried

> >  format.
> >  requires a
> >  holds

> >  allow
> >  for
> >  besides
> >  My
> >  when

> >  that

> >  That's

> >  the
> >  enough
> >  bitrate

Mp3,

Mp3 vs. data files

Post by tomca » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:16:17

According to Nero the answer is no.
In their FAQs
"6) Why does the order of MP3 tracks change when I compile an MP3-CD? It
always ends up in alphabetical order, and I am unable to change it."
their answer was
"6) First of all, there is big difference between an AudioCD and a
MP3-CD. When you burn a Audio-CD all MP3s will be converted into CDA, so
regular CD player will be able to read this CD (this is specified
through the Red Book).
An MP3 CD is really just a data CD as you are using the CDROM (ISO)
standard. And every CDROM (ISO) has to be written within the
specification of the Yellow Book for this format, otherwise it would not
be readable on any system, or by any MP3 Player. This specification
forces all tracks to be in alphabetical order. No exceptions. But there
is an easy workaround. Set prefixes in front of the songs filenames
which consist of numbers.
For Example:
001_name.mp3
002_name.mp3
003_name.mp3

This way you can burn the MP3 audio files in the order you wish to play
them in on your MP3 Player."

Bottom line is unless you are willing to rename them you are stuck.
Tom

> Does Nero have a way to burn as MP3 w/o using the ISO DATA mode??  I tried
> data mode and it re-sorts all the MP3 files.  Really stinks.

> format.

> for

> when

>>>In fact, your first reply was also relevant - except, of course, that
>>>there is no ".cda", format or otherwise.

>>>Competent mastering programs do not support multisession CD-DA. That's
>>>because audio players in general are single-session.

>>>The next part of the answer is that MP3 is a lossy compression, so the
>>>sound will be degraded compared with CD-DA. However, at a high enough
>>>bitrate, the loss will be acceptable to the listener. How high a bitrate
>>>depends on the material, the listener, the playback equipment, the
>>>encoder and other factors.

>>>Mike

>>Mike,
>>I didn't explain it correctly in my post. In Nero there is a choice of
>>burning music as "Mp3" or "audio". Also there is a choice of burning
>>"data"files. Whether I burn as Mp3 or data, either way, the cd holds a
>>couple hundred songs. When I play it from either cd the Mp3 light on
>>my player goes on and it plays.
>>I was wondering if burning as "data" is the same as burning as Mp3,
>>since they both hold the same amount of songs and both play on the
>>player.
>>John

1. mp3 data cd files and folder layout problem/question

I just purchased an mp3/cd player deck for my car audio system.  it
works great
but when i burn an mp3 cd using data mode all the programs i've found
try to arrange the folders and files by alpha and won't let me
manually arrange their order. I have tried nero, nti, sony's software,
and several random shareware packages but no luck.

The reason the folders are important is because i have several albumns
per disk, or let's say all 10 albums and artist has put out. I want
these to be in chronological order not alpha.  Same thing with the
tracks inside the folders, i'm looking for layout control similar to
an audio cd layout where you can just drag and drop tracks.

I know that i can numerically label both folders and tracks, buti
really don't want to at this point.
Anyone have a suggestion.
thanks
andy

2. netscape4.73 and win2000

3. Long File Names with WINONCD in MP3 Files

4. Font colors in shared borders

5. Converting 16kbit mono MP3 files to CD compatible WAV files

6. Jpeg

7. What is the best software to convert MP3 files to WAV files?

8. EZCD doesn't recognize my MP3 files as audio files !

9. my cd-r doesn't copy the audi files only data files

10. Can I burn audio files with data files at the same time??with ezcd 305

11. Audio Files + data Files