Anyone gotten > 450kb/sec with TEAC 55a?

Anyone gotten > 450kb/sec with TEAC 55a?

Post by washb.. » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

The only way I can get better throughput is if I make the bus run faster
than 8mhz and then some other cards choke. I'm considering returning it
for the Mitsumi which I have clocked at 600 at work. Oh, I am running it
off of a SB16. I wondered if running it off of it's own interface card or
not using the CORELCDX driver and using MSCDEX would help? Any
suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Norm

Post by Roger A. Kenda » Fri, 07 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Anyone gotten > 450kb/sec with TEAC 55a?
>Date: 3 Apr 1995 20:25:54 -0400
>The only way I can get better throughput is if I make the bus run faster
>than 8mhz and then some other cards choke. I'm considering returning it
>for the Mitsumi which I have clocked at 600 at work. Oh, I am running it
>off of a SB16. I wondered if running it off of it's own interface card or
>not using the CORELCDX driver and using MSCDEX would help? Any
>suggestions greatly appreciated.
>Thanks,
>Norm

DO NOT use CORELCDX which reduces throughput greatly..go to using
MSCDEX!!  Rewrite your config.sys and autoexec.bat as indicated in the README
file in your TEAC directory!

The MITSUMI, which I also have in the lab, fails to read some CD-ROMS
(cinemania 95, for example).  It is somewhat faster at certain kinds of reads,
but the compatability issue is severe.

I get 620K indication on the Teac (with near 90% CPU utilization!) from a
variety of benchmarks ... however, photocds seem barely better than 2x...why I
don't know.Probably organization of data..
Mind you, I have a fast system..and indeed, my AT bus is at 13+ Mhz.

<<<Dr. Roger A. Kendall>>>
Director, Music Perception and Cognition
and Musical Acoustics Laboratory
U   C   L   A

Post by washb.. » Fri, 07 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>>Subject: Anyone gotten > 450kb/sec with TEAC 55a?
>>Date: 3 Apr 1995 20:25:54 -0400

>>The only way I can get better throughput is if I make the bus run faster
>>than 8mhz and then some other cards choke. I'm considering returning it
>>for the Mitsumi which I have clocked at 600 at work. Oh, I am running it
>>off of a SB16. I wondered if running it off of it's own interface card or
>>not using the CORELCDX driver and using MSCDEX would help? Any
>>suggestions greatly appreciated.

>>Thanks,
>>Norm

>DO NOT use CORELCDX which reduces throughput greatly..go to using
>MSCDEX!!  Rewrite your config.sys and autoexec.bat as indicated in the README
>file in your TEAC directory!

>The MITSUMI, which I also have in the lab, fails to read some CD-ROMS
>(cinemania 95, for example).  It is somewhat faster at certain kinds of reads,
>but the compatability issue is severe.

>I get 620K indication on the Teac (with near 90% CPU utilization!) from a
>variety of benchmarks ... however, photocds seem barely better than 2x...why I
>don't know.Probably organization of data..
>Mind you, I have a fast system..and indeed, my AT bus is at 13+ Mhz.

><<<Dr. Roger A. Kendall>>>
>Director, Music Perception and Cognition
>and Musical Acoustics Laboratory
>U   C   L   A

Roger,

Thanks for the reply. Tried your suggestion re:smartdrv and did not see
much improvement on my end. I suspect that the high throughputs seen on
your machine have as much to do with the high bus speed as anything else.
My tape drive(Conner 420 running off Promise 2300+) chokes after 8mhz bus
speed. Returning Teac for MItsumi and crossing my fingers.

Later,

Norman Washburn

Post by Roger A. Kenda » Sat, 08 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Anyone gotten > 450kb/sec with TEAC 55a?
>Date: 6 Apr 1995 20:21:50 -0400

>>>Subject: Anyone gotten > 450kb/sec with TEAC 55a?
>>>Date: 3 Apr 1995 20:25:54 -0400

>>>The only way I can get better throughput is if I make the bus run faster
>>>than 8mhz and then some other cards choke. I'm considering returning it
>>>for the Mitsumi which I have clocked at 600 at work. Oh, I am running it
>>>off of a SB16. I wondered if running it off of it's own interface card or
>>>not using the CORELCDX driver and using MSCDEX would help? Any
>>>suggestions greatly appreciated.

>>>Thanks,
>>>Norm

>>DO NOT use CORELCDX which reduces throughput greatly..go to using
>>MSCDEX!!  Rewrite your config.sys and autoexec.bat as indicated in the README
>>file in your TEAC directory!

>>The MITSUMI, which I also have in the lab, fails to read some CD-ROMS
>>(cinemania 95, for example).  It is somewhat faster at certain kinds of reads,
>>but the compatability issue is severe.

>>I get 620K indication on the Teac (with near 90% CPU utilization!) from a
>>variety of benchmarks ... however, photocds seem barely better than 2x...why I
>>don't know.Probably organization of data..
>>Mind you, I have a fast system..and indeed, my AT bus is at 13+ Mhz.

>><<<Dr. Roger A. Kendall>>>
>>Director, Music Perception and Cognition
>>and Musical Acoustics Laboratory
>>U   C   L   A

>Roger,
>Thanks for the reply. Tried your suggestion re:smartdrv and did not see
>much improvement on my end. I suspect that the high throughputs seen on
>your machine have as much to do with the high bus speed as anything else.
>My tape drive(Conner 420 running off Promise 2300+) chokes after 8mhz bus
>speed. Returning Teac for MItsumi and crossing my fingers.
>Later,
>Norman Washburn

Yes...from other correspondence, it does seem my computer system has a lot to
do with it...as one would expect from a device that uses near 100% of CPU
resources!

I have found a further problem...the TEAC will NOT read multisession disks -
it reads only the first session.

I am taking the TEAC back tommorrow...

My take:

The toshiba quad scsi is wonderful
Mitsumi...has some quirky read problems, makes noise (eeek!  eeek!) during
access...is ok for the money..but the inability to read Cinemania 95 sends up
a red flag..
TEAC -- not capable of multisession, high cpu use, etc. etc. as reported
here...  avoid it.

<<<Dr. Roger A. Kendall>>>
Director, Music Perception and Cognition
and Musical Acoustics Laboratory
U   C   L   A

1. Toshiba 5302B - also 450Kb/sec <g>

Well, to those numerous posts I've read in the past
about the Teac 4X drive rated only at 450K/sec, and
the numerous posts I've just noticed now about the
Mitsumi FX400, seemingly with the same problem:
MegaRace also rated the Toshiba XM-5302B at 451Kb/sec
(I did it 3 times), but of course know that's faulty
'cuz other games (WC III, 7th Guest, etc) all say
600Kb+/sec (WC III even gave me 623Kb+/sec)...  :-)

That brings me to a question: I've read how increasing
the ISA Bus clock speed above the normal 8Mhz often
helps the Teac 4X to speed up (since it's connected to
an ISA card, either a sound card or its own).  But,
isn't it the same thing with the 5302B (and the FX400)?
I currently have my 5302B set up on the secondary port
of my Promise 2300+, which is the ISA-IDE port that uses
the regular ISA bus, NOT the VLB (this straight off the
manual)...  Does anyone know differently?

--Paul

2. E2060 Error

3. ANYONE>>>PLEASE>>>HELP

4. Henri Leboeuf

5. SuperSlow Teac NotExactlySuperQuad 4X CD-55A gets 200kb/s

6. roaming profiles

7. TEAC 55A: Only getting ~400kbytes/s on a 4X drive!

8. about using namespace in XSLT

9. TEAC 55a - does anyone have this drive working properly?

10. Sound Blaster CB Driver NEEDED >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

11. Mitsumi 2X Tech SUPPORT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

12. Is anybody else getting 1800kb/sec transfer rate..?

13. Nero: Getting rid of 2 sec gaps..