is pinacle rcd1000 software compat with win95?

is pinacle rcd1000 software compat with win95?

Post by i forgot who i a » Mon, 22 Jan 1996 04:00:00

i've got a pinnacle rcd1000 and was wondering if anyone tried using it
with win95....if not the original software, howe about another?
corel cd creater?

just wondering....i'll probably find out the hard way this week, but if
anyone has any problems please let me know..

--
-----
kyle

is pinacle rcd1000 software compat with win95?

Post by LumpofCo » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Version 3.0 of RCD PC will run fine and is supported by Pinnacle for use
under Windows 95. 2.12 can be made to run but is unstable and will not be
supported by Pinnacle. To get 3.0, you need to call their Sales Dept at
800-553-7070. Corel 2.0 is also available from their Sales Dept.

Jeff Pearson
Endless Horizons

Post by Robert Lewi » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> i've got a pinnacle rcd1000 and was wondering if anyone tried using it
> with win95....if not the original software, howe about another?
> corel cd creater?

> just wondering....i'll probably find out the hard way this week, but if
> anyone has any problems please let me know..

> --
> -----
> kyle

I know that the BBS has information about doing it.  I know that Incat
has software called Easy-CD 95 and Easy-CD 95 Pro that purports to work
under Win95 but I haven't tried it yet...The Pinnacle BBS numbers have
been busy for a few days so I suspect it is down now.  Please write if
you succeed in getting it to work and I will do the same...

Post by Roger A. Kendal » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Version 3.0 of RCD PC will run fine and is supported by Pinnacle for use
> under Windows 95. 2.12 can be made to run but is unstable and will not be
> supported by Pinnacle. To get 3.0, you need to call their Sales Dept at
> 800-553-7070. Corel 2.0 is also available from their Sales Dept.

> Jeff Pearson
> Endless Horizons

Yeah???? Just be aware that Corel 2.0 is buggy and destroys hard disks
with Adapetc controllers (email me for more detailed info).

RCD 3.0 does NOT NOT NOT support any of the long filename formats...it
just stabalizes the program under Win95....

At $100.00 it is the biggest ripoff I have ever seen...UCLA is trying
hard to get our credit for returning it...but Pinnacle is a Hydra, and
none of the appendiges know what the other is doing.

Hey Dave, see, you get what you deserve.

is pinacle rcd1000 software compat with win95?

Post by Deirdre' Straugha » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Dear Roger,

I can't speak to Pinnacle's sales policies, but "RCD 3.0...
just stabalizes the program under Win95...." isn't strictly true.
It's Easy-CD Pro/MM 3.0 in Pinnacle clothing, and it is 16-bit
software that was designed to run first under Win 3.1, and also
under Win 95. It can't have long filenames because it's 16-bit
software; as I understand it (I may be wrong), you need 32 bits to
support Unicode, which is used by Microsoft's Joliet standard for
long filenames on CD.

--
Best regards,

Post by Roger A. Kendal » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Dear Roger,

> I can't speak to Pinnacle's sales policies, but "RCD 3.0...
> just stabalizes the program under Win95...." isn't strictly true.
> It's Easy-CD Pro/MM 3.0 in Pinnacle clothing, and it is 16-bit
> software that was designed to run first under Win 3.1, and also
> under Win 95. It can't have long filenames because it's 16-bit
> software; as I understand it (I may be wrong), you need 32 bits to
> support Unicode, which is used by Microsoft's Joliet standard for
> long filenames on CD.

> --
> Best regards,

Nonsense!!  That is NOT how Pinnacle sales gives the description.

Post by Ne » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>i've got a pinnacle rcd1000 and was wondering if anyone tried using it
>with win95....if not the original software, howe about another?
>corel cd creater?

>just wondering....i'll probably find out the hard way this week, but if
>anyone has any problems please let me know..

>--
>-----
>kyle

More specifically, I was told the new v3.0 was going to take care of my
compatibility problems with CD-ROMs like the SCSI, Toshiba 2X. Not only was
that BS, the very first time I ran 3.0mm under Win95 I had a lockup at about
77% through the burn. Incidently, I don't burn any CDs under Win95, I boot to
DOS and have a path resetting batch file and run WFW.

My biggest peeve is that the CDs I burn are not 100% compatible and I have
experienced some ROM drives that do not read my CDs, about all that pinnacle
could offer was advice on upgrading the CD-ROM driver (the *.SYS file...).
Well, the particular drive I am using is a SCSI drive and it uses ASPICD.SYS,
the most recent version I could find in my archive of software was sometime in
1994, and besides, I don't see how upgrading THAT driver is going to make any
difference when other ROM can read it with the driver.

Pinnacle tech support has been helpful and returned my calls in a reasonable
amount of time, but I'm still having the same problems with no foreseeable
outcome (except continued failure).

I even tried the gold media (it's gold on both sides, not gold/green). I was
told by one person that he could re-burn my discs with another brand of burner,
and he put it on gold/gold media. So, I tried this, same thing, the CD-ROM I
have up at work has never read any CD's I've burned, no matter what I try.

I think it might be safe to say that what most folks ought to do, if they have
this problem, is to burn a "generic" CD under different formats (like CD-ROM,
CD-XA, mode 1, mode 2, etc) and mark them. Then, if you have a problem with a
particulat CD-ROM, you have a "set" of CDs with different formats that you can
try on the ROM drive. Whichever one works is the format you burn their data in.
If it doesn't work with any of them, call Pinnacle and give them a gripe
session.

Enjoy...

is pinacle rcd1000 software compat with win95?

Post by TFF Computer Servic » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have been using V 3.0 with Win95 for about 3 months with no
problems.  Also, I used V 2.12E with Win 95 for about 4 months with no
problems.

If the CD-ROM at your work will not read the CD, then the CD-ROM Drive
must not be "Totally" MPC II Compliant.  Any CD Recorder will tell you
that the reading drive must be MPC II compliant.

I have used green cd's and gold cd's with no problems.  I have written
100 cdr's.  I did have problems at first configuring my system to work
properly but after configuration, I write at 2X from iso file and
Virtual iso image.

I am using a Pentium 100 mhz with 16 mb memory.  Hope this info
helps...  If you are continuing to have problems getting V 3.0 to work
correctly, contact Dave here on the group.  He has been nothing but
great in my helping me.

>>i've got a pinnacle rcd1000 and was wondering if anyone tried using it
>>with win95....if not the original software, howe about another?
>>corel cd creater?

>>just wondering....i'll probably find out the hard way this week, but if
>>anyone has any problems please let me know..

>>--
>>-----
>>kyle

>More specifically, I was told the new v3.0 was going to take care of my
>compatibility problems with CD-ROMs like the SCSI, Toshiba 2X. Not only was
>that BS, the very first time I ran 3.0mm under Win95 I had a lockup at about
>77% through the burn. Incidently, I don't burn any CDs under Win95, I boot to
>DOS and have a path resetting batch file and run WFW.

>My biggest peeve is that the CDs I burn are not 100% compatible and I have
>experienced some ROM drives that do not read my CDs, about all that pinnacle
>could offer was advice on upgrading the CD-ROM driver (the *.SYS file...).
>Well, the particular drive I am using is a SCSI drive and it uses ASPICD.SYS,
>the most recent version I could find in my archive of software was sometime in
>1994, and besides, I don't see how upgrading THAT driver is going to make any
>difference when other ROM can read it with the driver.

>Pinnacle tech support has been helpful and returned my calls in a reasonable
>amount of time, but I'm still having the same problems with no foreseeable
>outcome (except continued failure).

>I even tried the gold media (it's gold on both sides, not gold/green). I was
>told by one person that he could re-burn my discs with another brand of burner,
>and he put it on gold/gold media. So, I tried this, same thing, the CD-ROM I
>have up at work has never read any CD's I've burned, no matter what I try.

>I think it might be safe to say that what most folks ought to do, if they have
>this problem, is to burn a "generic" CD under different formats (like CD-ROM,
>CD-XA, mode 1, mode 2, etc) and mark them. Then, if you have a problem with a
>particulat CD-ROM, you have a "set" of CDs with different formats that you can
>try on the ROM drive. Whichever one works is the format you burn their data in.
>If it doesn't work with any of them, call Pinnacle and give them a gripe
>session.

>Enjoy...

is pinacle rcd1000 software compat with win95?

Post by i forgot who i a » Mon, 29 Jan 1996 04:00:00

i have a pincalce rcd1000 and an adaptec 1542cf (with floppy) card, and
it works great!

i believe i was the original poster for this thread, and i would like to
say, thanks for all the followups, and now i have a perfectly working
system...

thanks dave for all your help--dave is the guy from pinacle to get a hold
of for the files and docs for pinnacles's rcd3.0...

i am currenlty using ez-scsi 4.0 for the adaptec...it uses it's aspicd.sys,
the aspi4dos.sys aspidisk.sys and aspicd.sys--all work great...

to followup to the guy who couldn't get his stuff to work....try burning
a cd with a mode 1, cd-rom, 1x session.....take that to another
cd-rom drive and see if you can read it....another thing, can you read
normals cd's from your pinnacle drive?  maybe your drivers aren't setup
properly.....

my pinnacle drive is currently running off of win95, and the ez-scsi
has mounted two cd-rom drives for me--my cd-rom drive and the recorder...

another thing, it took me two hrs to find out that the adaptec scsi card
was conflicting with the network card....i just decided to throw out the
card and install it later...

if anyone has any problems with pinnacle, i advise them to give tec
support a call....or throw e-mail my way, and i'll try to help as much
as i can with my novice experience...
--
-----
kyle

is pinacle rcd1000 software compat with win95?

Post by i forgot who i a » Mon, 29 Jan 1996 04:00:00

another thing that may help...i'm running the pinnacle drive off of
an upgraded 386dx33 to a ti486 chip (not that fast) and with only 8megs
of ram.....so if that machine can do, i don't see why any other machine
can't...

--
-----
kyle