Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia problems

Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia problems

Post by Yvonne G?rans » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

When I try to read any article in the Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia
CD-ROM I always get an "not enough memory" message. I have a 32 Mb
RAM/P133 system, Windows 3.11 and could previously use this disc on a
486/66/8 machine!
Anybody any ideas?

E-mail replies are GREATLY appreciated.

1. REVIEW: CD-ROM - THE 1995 GROLIER MULTIMEDIA ENCYCLOPEDIA

REVIEW: THE GROLIER MULTIMEDIA ENCYCLOPEDIA          Grolier 1995

I always enjoy reviewing CD-ROMs, especially encyclopedias and reference
works.  Of main interest is how easy it is to locate and retrieve
information.  Of course, the accuracy of that data is most inportant as
well.  Recently I spent an afternoon with the GROLIER MULTIMEDIA ENCYCLOPEDIA
and here's what I found.

According to the material that accompanied the review copy, there are
32,287 in-depth articles, 8,017 still images and 118 moving graphics
totalling almost 2-1/2 hours.  There are also 638 maps and 507 sound clips
as well.  The Grolier people have prepared a chart that compares their
multimedia encyclopedia with Encarta and Comptons that is very interesting,
indeed.  In other words, there's a lot of stuff on this CD!

The GROLIER MULTIMEDIA ENCYCLOPEDIA's contents are based on their ACADEMIC
AMERICAN ENCYCLOPEDIA.  Grolier has been in the encyclopedia business for
a long time and published their first CD-ROM in 1986.  The 1995 edition
has several new and innovative features such as Pathmakers.  These are
topical "guided tours" using video interviews with an authoratative
personality on the subject - Buzz Aldrin, for example.  The interview
is linked to related articles and images.

There's also the Timeline and Knowledge Explorer features that enhance user
accessibility as well as maps, fact boxes, animations, videos to compliment
the over 30,000 articles contained in THE GROLIER MULTIMEDIA ENCYCLOPEDIA.
You'll need a 386/20 or higher with Windows, 4MB RAM, 6MB hard disk space,
VGA or SVGA, sound card & speakers and, of course, a CD-ROM drive to
enjoy this great information package.

I was very impressed by the incredible amount of information to be found on
this CD-ROM set.  Grolier is a long-established player in the encyclopedia
publishing business and their electronic version was not a disappointment.
They have several other CD-ROM based products, including THE GUINESS MULTIMEDIA
OF RECORDS that I will be reviewing soon.

%T      The 1995 Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia
%I      Grolier Electronic Publishing Co
%C      Danbury  CT
        1-800-285-4534
%D      1995
%O      For WINDOWS/MPC and Macintosh,
        average price around $60.00
        ISBN: (MAC) 0-7172-3982-9
              (WINDOWS) 0-7172-3981-0
%K      encyclopedia, multimedia

(C) 1995
Michael Crestohl
Nahant Massachusetts  USA

DISCLAIMER:  I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in the success or
failure of the book or materials reviewed herewith, nor have I received any
compensation (other than a review copy requested by me) from anyone who has.
All opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Other Internet and Aviation book/software reviews by me can be obtained
by anonymous FTP from:  x2ftp.oulu.fi in the /pub/books/crestohl directory.

2. ANNOUNCE: IBM coverage tool survey (for coverage tool companies reps)

3. Problems with Grolier's MM Encyclopedia

4. 2001 detailing

5. REVIEW: ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA 98 MULTIMEDIA CD

6. W2K unattended setup - Disk partitioning

7. Grolier Encyclopedia CD

8. Combining Object-Oriented & Knowledge-Based systems?

9. Grolier/Comptons's Encyclopedia

10. Grolier Encyclopedia Video Question

11. Save your day with Grolier's CD-ROM encyclopedia and audio CD program

12. HELP: Grolier Encyclopedia bug??