CD door closes uncommanded and too quickly

CD door closes uncommanded and too quickly

Post by Richar » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I've just installed a Mirai/IMES 8x CDROM onto a 486 PC: Primary IDE
master is the HD, primary slave is the CDROM.  The BIOS autoscan doesn't
pick up the CDROM but Win95 picks it up and installs drivers, that work
- files can be read off the CDROM.

However, the drivebay door won't stay open!   It opens just fine, either
from the front panel button, or using the Eject command in Windows
Explorer (etc) - but remains open only for a second, before closing up
again.

What's wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

CD door closes uncommanded and too quickly

Post by Dave Cohe » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

My son has a new Compaq that does similar. The draw does stay
open longer than a second, but closes by itself before you have
time to take out a cd and put in a new one. Don't know if
anything is wrong or if this is the way it is supposed to work,
but is a real pain. He just holds the draw open.

Post by Terry Russel » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> My son has a new Compaq that does similar. The draw does stay
> open longer than a second, but closes by itself before you have
> time to take out a cd and put in a new one. Don't know if
> anything is wrong or if this is the way it is supposed to work,
> but is a real pain. He just holds the draw open.

a warped case , shorting or mechanical obstruction could be the cause
check the screws aren't too long or over-tightened
see if it happens when the srews are loosened and screwed out
almost all the way

1. Nec CD crashes system when door closes ???

System:
 Pentium 133 mghz, 16 mgb ram, Nec 4x CD
 1.2 gig HD, 28.8 modem
 Win95

Problem:
 System crash when CD drive door is closed after inserting
CDRom.

 Problem is intermittent - most notable when CD is inserted
after program already running. i.e., if I am using programming
language and want to look up info on CD help files.

message from system when it crahses:

"32 bit device driver has corrupted critical system memory
resulting in an exception 0E at 0028:C0231948 in VxDVMM (0D)+ 00001948
This was called from 0028:C0FD6EF6 in VxDCDFS (04)+ 00000046"

Is this a hardware crash of the virtual memory manager?

Or is it software?

When the CD is inserted the led does light up and then Kaboom!

 It doesn't happen very often when I load a CD before starting
associated software, but it has happened in these circumstances too.

 What could there be about pushing the button to close the door that
initiates a crash like this?

Thanks in advance,

Doug Sterrett

2. iBook case parts?

3. Opening and closing cdrom door

4. simplified chinese(GB2312) font issue

5. Easy CD close session, close disc NOT AVAILABLE!!!

6. Driver w/mouse hook and timer....

7. Question about closing sessions and closing disc.

8. newbie LAN irritaion

9. How to close session again on fail close session disc?

10. My Plexwriter 8/20 'closes' disks that shouldn't be closed

11. CD-ROM-search the web quickly with Search Spaniel

12. My Backpack CD-RW drive's alot door won't open

13. cd-rom speler draait door