Flashed AOpen CDRW 2440 and now it is RICOH !?!?

Flashed AOpen CDRW 2440 and now it is RICOH !?!?

Post by v a c » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:40:49

Hi,

a friend of mine flashed AOpen Justlink CDRW 2440, with the newest flash
available from AOpen site - 2.09

But now after flashing the device isn't working and during bootup shows
instead of "AOpen.... (not shure what it was saying)..." nows says
"RICOH FirmwareLoader2" ?!?

How is that possible? I saw warinig on the AOpen site saying

"Please uninstall Intel Ultra ATA driver"

But how can I do that when I have MSI motherboard with Athlon processor
and VIA 333 chipset. I don't have Intel Ultra ATA, or do?

Here is the link for the firmnware update:
http://www.aopen.com/tech/download/Optical/crw/crw2440.htm

Is there a DOS update, can I ever return this drive to normal?

Flashed AOpen CDRW 2440 and now it is RICOH !?!?

Post by ==aXnet= » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:14:26

He got the wrong flash!!!

Quote:> Hi,

> a friend of mine flashed AOpen Justlink CDRW 2440, with the newest flash
> available from AOpen site - 2.09

> But now after flashing the device isn't working and during bootup shows
> instead of "AOpen.... (not shure what it was saying)..." nows says
> "RICOH FirmwareLoader2" ?!?

> How is that possible? I saw warinig on the AOpen site saying

> "Please uninstall Intel Ultra ATA driver"

> But how can I do that when I have MSI motherboard with Athlon processor
> and VIA 333 chipset. I don't have Intel Ultra ATA, or do?

> Here is the link for the firmnware update:
> http://www.aopen.com/tech/download/Optical/crw/crw2440.htm

> Is there a DOS update, can I ever return this drive to normal?

Flashed AOpen CDRW 2440 and now it is RICOH !?!?

Post by v a c » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:49:18

Quote:

> He got the wrong flash!!!

No it is right, that is the most funny !

Flashed AOpen CDRW 2440 and now it is RICOH !?!?

Post by BC Berr » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 07:48:12

Quote:>Hi,

>a friend of mine flashed AOpen Justlink CDRW 2440, with the newest flash
>available from AOpen site - 2.09

>But now after flashing the device isn't working and during bootup shows
>instead of "AOpen.... (not shure what it was saying)..." nows says
>"RICOH FirmwareLoader2" ?!?

>How is that possible? I saw warinig on the AOpen site saying

>"Please uninstall Intel Ultra ATA driver"

>But how can I do that when I have MSI motherboard with Athlon processor
>and VIA 333 chipset. I don't have Intel Ultra ATA, or do?

>Here is the link for the firmnware update:
>http://www.aopen.com/tech/download/Optical/crw/crw2440.htm

>Is there a DOS update, can I ever return this drive to normal?

2 possibilties:

1) I looked on the Aopen US site and it shows 2.08 as the latest flash
for a 2440. Unless you found something that has not been released to
USA yet or found a page on the site that I missed,  your flash may be
bogus.

2) Assuming you DID find a valid 2.09 and it follows the same
installation procedure as 2.08.......... It looks almost as though you
flashed either the loader itself or the ZIP executable into the drive
instead of the .BIN firmware file. How did you do the flash? You
should have just downloaded a file with a name like 2440_f209.EXE from
the Aopen site and executed that file under windows. Is there a
possibility you used a third party flash program and told it to use
the file 2440_f209.EXE or RFlash(AO).exe (extracted from 2440_f209.EXE
using WINZip)?

To recover, I would download version 2.08 or 2.06 and try to flash
back to that.
--
E-mail address is invalid due to spam overflow - Please reply in the newsgroup.
--

Flashed AOpen CDRW 2440 and now it is RICOH !?!?

Post by v a c » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 08:36:17

Sorry for the confusion, flash is 2.08 and is original AOpen. So what
now? I heard that it can be force flashed but with dos flash utility.
Where can I find one?

Quote:> 1) I looked on the Aopen US site and it shows 2.08 as the latest flash
> for a 2440. Unless you found something that has not been released to
> USA yet or found a page on the site that I missed,  your flash may be
> bogus.

Flashed AOpen CDRW 2440 and now it is RICOH !?!?

Post by blesl.. » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:07:32

Vach, ignore my last post, I was thinking of the system bios and not a
burner..Sorry............
Bob

>Sorry for the confusion, flash is 2.08 and is original AOpen. So what
>now? I heard that it can be force flashed but with dos flash utility.
>Where can I find one?

>> 1) I looked on the Aopen US site and it shows 2.08 as the latest flash
>> for a 2440. Unless you found something that has not been released to
>> USA yet or found a page on the site that I missed,  your flash may be
>> bogus.

Flashed AOpen CDRW 2440 and now it is RICOH !?!?

Post by blesl.. » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:06:29

Vach, you have to make a bootable DOS floppy to do your flash
properly. Ideally you want a floppy formatted on a Windows 98 system
as: format /s. After you get your boot disk you need to copy your
download 2.08 to it and run it if it is an executable which will give
you your flash program and a .bin file. After you've done all that put
the floppy in your
A: drive and reboot the machine. It will boot in DOS mode, at that
point type your flash program name (I'm not sure what yours is) but
that will begin the flashing program. DO NOT turn your machine off
during the flashing process!! After it's finished you should remove
the floppy and reboot your machine. All of the different bioses I've
flashed tell you to reboot into the CMOS setup and select BIOS
DEFAULTS and save. Then you need to go back thru the CMOS setup and
restore your original settings. Maybe you outght to boot into your
CMOS setup before you do anything and copy all the settings so you can
restore them, okay??
Bob

>Sorry for the confusion, flash is 2.08 and is original AOpen. So what
>now? I heard that it can be force flashed but with dos flash utility.
>Where can I find one?

>> 1) I looked on the Aopen US site and it shows 2.08 as the latest flash
>> for a 2440. Unless you found something that has not been released to
>> USA yet or found a page on the site that I missed,  your flash may be
>> bogus.

1. Omniwriter flash error. Am I boned?

Was trying to upgrade the firmware on my Philips Omniwriter 26a to the
v2.03 (I was chicken about the Ricoh hacks) and encountered an error
druing the flash.  It continued and I got an 'upgrade finished'
message.  Now the computer will not recognize the drive (I have the
shuttle cable scsi version of the drive).  Attempts to re-flash also
can't find the drive.  Everything worked before I tried it, I even let
it 'cool off' as Philips recommended.  Am I boned?  Did I wreck the
unit? HELP! What can I do?

2. New application and Psion site

3. AOpen CD-952E 52x CD-ROM flash upgradeable??

4. Java Applet and Include Page

5. Want to flash Aopen cdrom drive 952E to firmware F51

6. I need help

7. AOpen DOS flashing utility?

8. XINTRO QUIRK... NEED INPUT

9. my CD-R it′s not recognized when i try to record something!

10. what am I doing wrong re CDRW

11. I am thinking about buying a CDRW

12. aopen cdrw

13. hp cdrw fast format / aopen 48x read problem