how to disable drag-to-disc

Post by Jonathan Am » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:43:49

Hi,

Does anyone knows how to disable the drag-to-disc feature that comes
with roxio "easy cd and dvd creator 6.0"?  everytime that I reboot my
computer, the damn icon appears in the system tray, and even if choose
not to enable the task bar icon, the process "DrgToDsc.exe" still
stays in the task bar list.
I find this extremely annoying that there is no trivial option to
disable the process from running.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jonathan

how to disable drag-to-disc

Post by Andrew Rossman » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:45:56

[This followup was posted to comp.publish.cdrom.software and a copy was
sent to the cited author.]

Quote:> Hi,

> Does anyone knows how to disable the drag-to-disc feature that comes
> with roxio "easy cd and dvd creator 6.0"?  everytime that I reboot my
> computer, the damn icon appears in the system tray, and even if choose
> not to enable the task bar icon, the process "DrgToDsc.exe" still
> stays in the task bar list.
> I find this extremely annoying that there is no trivial option to
> disable the process from running.

  Does the install offer a custom setup? Try add/remove programs, and see
if you have the option to make changes to the setup without having to
actually uninstall and then reinstall. You need to use CUSTOM and remove
'Drag to Disk' or 'DirectCD' or whatever it's now called.

  Otherwise, it's most often loaded in one of the Registry's Run keys. The
easiest way to find and disable loading it is to use MSCONFIG.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

how to disable drag-to-disc

Post by Mike Richte » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 06:08:04

> Hi,

> Does anyone knows how to disable the drag-to-disc feature that comes
> with roxio "easy cd and dvd creator 6.0"?  everytime that I reboot my
> computer, the damn icon appears in the system tray, and even if choose
> not to enable the task bar icon, the process "DrgToDsc.exe" still
> stays in the task bar list.
> I find this extremely annoying that there is no trivial option to
> disable the process from running.

I have not "upgraded" beyond 5.1, so the terminology will be different,
but in earlier versions of ECDC:

1. In Control Panel, Add/Remove programs
2. Select ECDC; you will be prompted for the disc
3. Modify installation
4. Find DirectCD (or whatever it's called now) and check it to run never

That will uninstall it - the only safe way to keep it from running. In
DCD, there was an option to let it run, but to keep it from asking to
format a blank, but

a) It will surely be different with the new version and
b) I don't remember where it is - and am no longer running DCD on this
computer.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

how to disable drag-to-disc

Post by smh » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:39:52

.            --------------------------------------
                Mike Richter, were you born with
             "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
             --------------------------------------
             Graham Mayor, were you also born with
             "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
             --------------------------------------

Quote:

> ... am no longer running DCD on this computer.

No spewing about the flaky, fragile, faulty, unreliable "format",
Hit&Run?

        =====================
        From:    Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
        Date:    8/19/02

        I have used only DCD for packet writing,
        have had no problems due to the software -

        but too many due to the format itself

        to bother with it any longer.

        =====================
        From:    Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
        Date:    6/17/02

        uninstalled DCD
        when I stopped testing for Roxio
        =====================

The above Mikey's statement is the first ever case in which a Shill is
rejecting the very product IT is shilling for.

With a Shill like this, cRoxio doesn't need any critics!

            --------------------------
            cRoxio, Eat Your Heart Out !!!
            --------------------------

1. Mikey Richter Rejects DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc)!!!

.            --------------------------------------
                Mike Richter, were you born with
             "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
             --------------------------------------

Is SMH post not worth reading even when it is nothing more than quoting
Mikey Richter's posts?  Aren't Mikey's posts worth reading?  Thought you
would get ecstatic seeing ITS posts.

From:    smh
Subject: Re: UDF/Packet Writing Compatibility
Date:    3/6/03

Is that the same DirectCD that even a cRoxio Shill would not bother with
it?
        ======================

        From:    Mikey Richter (cRoxio Shill)
        Subject: Re: WinXP and UDF
        Date:    6/17/02

        ... uninstalled DCD
            when I stopped testing for Roxio ...
        ======================

The above Mikey's statement is the first ever case in which a Shill is
rejecting the very product IT is shilling for.

With a Shill like this, cRoxio doesn't need any critics!
            --------------------------
            cRoxio, Eat Your Heart Out !!!
            --------------------------

Note:
The same reason why the cRoxio Shill rejected DirectCD applies to
Drag-to-Disc as well - the packet writing "format" has not changed.

2. Cache Memory Size Limitations

3. Drag to Disk Writing Speed

4. Best Comm Port Settings in Windows

5. CD Creator: disk-at-once disabled???

6. Asus P2L97-S and ACPI

7. Yamaha 4416 and drop/drag files to CDRW

8. OmniWriter and missing files with Drag N Drop - Easy CD Pro 95?

9. Drag and drop multisession authoring with NTI CDR explorer: Reliable?

10. looking for simple CD-RW drop and drag software

11. EZ Creator-drag and drop problem

12. difficulties to drag a file from a cd to hard drive