most reliable burner out there? + usb vs. fw

most reliable burner out there? + usb vs. fw

Post by Anita Coo » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:36:16

i got burnt (ha! sorry) buying the ricoh MP4050A CDRW a couple of years ago,
and am about to buy a new IDE burner to put in a USB/FIREWIRE case.

i really wanna get something reliable this time, so if anyone knows of CDRWs
(no dvd) that are good and reliable (i've heard nice things about LiteOn and
LG) please tell me.

also if anyone has an opinion on whether firewire or USB are the better
options for my external case.

i've found surprisingly little on the subject on the net, which makes me
asuem that things are a tad more reliable than they used to be.

also if anyone knows of mac issues, as i will be using this setup for the
mac too.

most reliable burner out there? + usb vs. fw

Post by Peter van der Goe » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:26:40

Quote:> i got burnt (ha! sorry) buying the ricoh MP4050A CDRW a couple of years
ago,
> and am about to buy a new IDE burner to put in a USB/FIREWIRE case.

> i really wanna get something reliable this time, so if anyone knows of
CDRWs
> (no dvd) that are good and reliable (i've heard nice things about LiteOn
and
> LG) please tell me.

> also if anyone has an opinion on whether firewire or USB are the better
> options for my external case.

> i've found surprisingly little on the subject on the net, which makes me
> asuem that things are a tad more reliable than they used to be.

> also if anyone knows of mac issues, as i will be using this setup for the
> mac too.

I can't say which is the *most* reliable CDRW, but I'll recommend Lite-On
based on the completely trouble-free experience I've had with a 12x, a 24x,
two 40x's and two 52x's, all IDE. I put one of the 40x's in a USB case to
pass around at work, and it's been 100% reliable used that way on several
PC's with USB2 ports.

most reliable burner out there? + usb vs. fw

Post by David Chie » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:12:58

1) LiteOn drive.  www.cdfreaks.com -> forums -> LiteOn to find out about
these cheap <$20 on sale drives.
    Yes, there may be a Plextor Premium that has a few more features,
but it sure ain't cheap vs. the $20 LiteOns.

    Highly recommended.  Absolutely a delight to use.

2) ME-320 dual IEEE 1394 & USB 2.0 case.  www.newegg.com and elsewhere.

    This baby installs fast, works great on both USB & IEEE 1394, and
you can flash upgrade drives right in the box w/o any problems or having
to remove it and install in a desktop for flashing.

    Totally eliminates the problem of having to pick between the two
interfaces as it'll have both.

    Internal power supply so you don't have to worry about losing an
external P/S.  Standard AC cable used in back.

    Power switch in rear so you can turn it off anytime you want.

    Built-in fan to help keep these super-fast CD-RW burners cool.
(Anything spinning at 48-52x over several dozen minutes will heat up a lot.)

    Works fine in either vertical or horizontal mode, stackable.

    Funny actually at ~$50 - 2x more expensive than the ~$20 CD burner!

3) I'd go firewire simply because once you've got the card in your PC
(or if it's already built-in), the ME-320 shows up without any drivers
at all.  USB 2.0 still requires extra drivers, which is a pain if you
later upgrade the OS or lose the drivers disk.

    Also, most benchmarks still show firewire interface pushing data
faster than USB 2.0, so it's the best choice for high-speed drives.

1. Refurbished USB external CD-RW reliable?

I've seen many refurbished USB/external CD-RW drives from IOMega, HP, and
Sony
on eBay.  I'm considering getting one, but am a little worried on how
reliable
they are (and if there are so many of them is the "new" one that much
better?)
Does anyone own one of these refurbished drives?
Any problems?

Thanks.

2. icon catelog missing after reinstalling demos to another disk

3. Has USB Become Reliable/Stable?

4. How to access 'hidden' files and clear out cached web sites, emails, etc.

5. Reliable burner for 80 mins.?

6. Problems installing HP Deskjet 815C on USB

7. Do I have to have a really good burner to do reliable Audio CD copies?

8. Partition Question

9. external USB CDRW burner

10. Older Iomega ZIP USB Burner is unreliable

11. Kodak USB burner

12. Sony CRX1750U/A2 USB burner

13. USB CD-Burners Any One with Experience?