Water-based screen inks for CD-R?

Post by miim webmast » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:35:36

Has anyone successfully used water-based screen ink
for CD-R screening?  It would seem to eliminate all
the potential problems with a solvent-based ink
eating through the lacquer, and also eliminate the
need for UV flash with UV-cure ink.

I've looked into Speedball and Naz-dar water based
inks, but neither of them responded to inquiries
about whether their inks are suitable for the purpose.

Post by Mike Richte » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:01:51

> Has anyone successfully used water-based screen ink
> for CD-R screening?  It would seem to eliminate all
> the potential problems with a solvent-based ink
> eating through the lacquer, and also eliminate the
> need for UV flash with UV-cure ink.

> I've looked into Speedball and Naz-dar water based
> inks, but neither of them responded to inquiries
> about whether their inks are suitable for the purpose.

Sanford and TDK offer water-based inks; TDK's is called "CD Writer" and
is available in a number of colors. I've been using TDK pens for some
time with no difficulty even on discs with no overcoating.

Would other water-based inks work? No doubt - but why bother? A $2 pen
lasts for enough discs that it makes little sense to hunt for one at $1.50.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

1. CD-R pens and inks [Was: alternative to cd labeling]

G'day dinkawink,

I see you got lots of advice re applying labels etc., so maybe you're
already happy with the results.  My response here re ink stamps has a
slight ulterior motive anyway, so I'll continue.  ;-)

Some years ago when Kodak changed to plastic mounts for Kodachrome
slides as the default state [you can(?) still get the old cardboard
mounts as an option] I looked into getting some way to "rubber stamp"
info on the new mounts as I typically took lots of "technical" photos
where the base info (date/site/project etc.) was constant through a
number of exposures.

I discovered you could get rubber stamps and ink that would work on
plastic, but the ink only came in litre lots and wasn't all that
cheap, so I stuck with the cardboard option.  It seems likely that
some sort of ink like that might work on CDs too.

Assuming it will work satisfactorily (i.e. dries fast enough and
doesn't just wipe off again) the next question to consider is the
danger of any long term damage to the surface of the CD!

Staedtler have released a "CD-R PEN" in their Lumocolor range.
Superficially, it looks just like their ordinary permanent OHP pens
that many folk use to write on CDs.  I *think* I can detect a slightly
different odor (only sniffing for scientific purposes of course :)
with the CD-pen, but I really don't know if it has a different
composition to the OHP pens or not.  Whatever, it does suggest an
appropriate sort of ink for use with rubber stamps should be available
somewhere!  (Not that that is a particularly useful statement!)

My ulterior motive lies in those CD-R pens -- I can only find them in
"medium" line thickness and black colour.  Not good enough!  The
medium line is the worst problem as after a bit of use you soon get to
the point where it's hard to write much more than "ABC" legibly on the
disks.  So the questions are:

1. Does Staedtler, or another, make specific CD-R pens in finer points
and in other colours?  Who, where?

2. Are the so-called CD-R pens really so different to the standard
permanent OHP pens by Staedtler and others that they must be used
instead of the latter to obviate the chance of any long term danger of
damage to the CDs?  (Bearing in mind that many CDs are used for backup
and other archival purposes -- i.e. you want them to be good for a
long, long time!)

Cheers, Phred.

--

2. response to EMail

3. Where do YOU buy ink-jet printable CD-Rs?

4. Any way to retrieve table field properties from dataset?

5. Glossy CD Labels for ink jet?

6. How converts JPG files to PDF?

7. suitable paints/inks for CD's

8. re : Consumer Alert

9. Cleaning CD with soap and Water :(

10. "Ideal for Ink-Jet Printers?"

11. Primera Signature 3 cdr ink jet printer problem-

12. "Ideal for Ink-Jet Printers?"

13. water soluable verbatim!??