CD-R write speed question

Post by Phre » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:07:51

>I have a Dell 4550, WinXP, NEC 9300A 48x CD-RW Drive. Using the latest
>version of Nero with TDK CD-R discs rated at 48x write speed.

>When no disc is in the drive Nero shows a max write speed of 48x. When
>a 48x rated disc is in the drive the max speed in Nero drops to 24x.
>I've looked through all options and can't see why the speed is half of
>what it should be. This isn't a huge problem since 24x is fine but I'm
>curious as to why tops out at 24x. Feel like I'm missing something.
>Does anyone know of a firmware update for this drive?

I haven't used Nero, but I've noticed when using Adaptec's ECDC
4.02d(292) that one of the first things it does is "calibrate" the
transfer rate from the HDD.  Perhaps that is what is happening with
your Nero too?  (I.e. it gives you the "default" max when nothing is
happening, but changes to a more realistic value when it looks like
you're actrually about to use it.  Just a guess from the ignorant! :)

Cheers, Phred.

--

1. Ricoh 6200 CD-RW Write Speed Question

Hi,

    I've had my MediaMaster kit for a few weeks now, and it's working
well. With both the ECDC and CD Copier Deluxe software that were bundled
with the drive, you can set the record speed to either 1x or 2x, and
this works fine for CD-R media. However, if I set the speed to 1x with
CD-RW media, it switches back to 2x speed when I start to write the CD.
Is this caused by the drive or the software? Is it possible to write
CD-RW at 1x speed? My other CD drive can only do DAE at about 1.5 speed,
and I need to record at 1x to copy audio directly.

Thanks

2. HELP! SWOS96-97 destroyed

3. CD Write Speed Question with ECDC

4. MOBO PROBLEMS

5. Question on writing and reading speeds

6. Help!: Nero 5: does "playing tracks analog" make any difference regarding burning audio cds?!

7. CD-R error either during write speed test or during writing CD

8. Truck, Automobile, and Fire Truck Symbols

9. Correct write speed but slow read speed

10. "write" speed versus "rewrite" speed

11. HP SureStore 7200i questions/general CD writing questions

12. cd-r read/write speed

13. Looking For 6X Write Speed CD-R - Suggestions?