Expert comments on ISO file questions

Post by phil » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:32:45

hi. got a few questions.. been doing some searches on the issue of ISO file.
found quite a bit of misinformation, incomplete information, conflicting
information.. so let's get the record straight.. preferably from experts..
to the benefit of future google users.

here are the questions:

1) what is an ISO file?

what I think: an ISO file is a "zip" file, so to speak, of a set of files
from a CD-ROM which was recorded using the ISO format. of coursem unlike a
zip file, there is no compression.

2) what an ISO file is not?

what I think: it is not an image file. there are information on a ISO format
CD-ROM which cannot be store in an ISO file. for instance, the physical
location of a file on the CD-ROM.

3) what hardware is needed to create an ISO file?

what I think: any CD-ROM

3) what software is needed to create an ISO file?

what I think: any software that can read from a CD-ROM drive

that's it. I think I'm right on all counts but please let me know if I'm
wrong.

Post by Pierre Duhe » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:36:05

 >what I think: it is not an image file. there are information on a ISO
format
 >CD-ROM which cannot be store in an ISO file. for instance, the
physical
 >location of a file on the CD-ROM.

False. An ISO file is an image, sector by sector, of an ISO CD-ROM. It
contains everything present on the original disk. Since ISO means ISO
9660, it can only apply to a data CD-ROM. An ISO file, being an image of
a file system, should not bother about mode 1 or mode 2 but, for mainly
historical reasons, there are packages which produce mode 1 or mode 2
sectors.

Pierre Duhem
Logiciels & Services Duhem, Paris, France
http://www.macdisk.com

Please remove the X from the address to answer through email

Expert comments on ISO file questions

Post by Dave Englis » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:00:08

Quote:>hi. got a few questions.. been doing some searches on the issue of ISO file.
>found quite a bit of misinformation, incomplete information, conflicting
>information.. so let's get the record straight.. preferably from experts..
>to the benefit of future google users.

>here are the questions:

>1) what is an ISO file?

>what I think: an ISO file is a "zip" file,

Wrong

Quote:> so to speak,

Well all right, just maybe

Quote:> of a set of files
>from a CD-ROM which was recorded using the ISO format. of coursem unlike a
>zip file, there is no compression.

>2) what an ISO file is not?

>what I think: it is not an image file. there are information on a ISO format
>CD-ROM which cannot be store in an ISO file. for instance, the physical
>location of a file on the CD-ROM.

Wrong

Quote:>3) what hardware is needed to create an ISO file?

>what I think: any CD-ROM

Wrong

Quote:>3) what software is needed to create an ISO file?

>what I think: any software that can read from a CD-ROM drive

False ... & shouldn't that be 4) ?

Quote:>that's it. I think I'm right on all counts but please let me know if I'm
>wrong.

Nice troll ;-)

<URL:http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-28>
<http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-28>

(benefit of future Google users)

ATB
--
Dave English,
Client Software Development, Thus PLC,

1. EZCDpro ISO files copy to disk as ISO file and are useless

Im trying to copy PSX disks using EXCDpro (Reg Copy), it copies ok to the
hard drive and when I drag the file back to be copied to the CD, they copy
just fine, but the directory on the disk , shows the dir. where they were
saved and in that dir. is the ISO files, and the Wav files just as I saved
them, I am following the directions that is supplied in PSX copies for
EZCDpro, but evidently some step is left out, any suggestions on what Im
doing wrong??????  Charlie

2. 9i's runInstaller - is their a commandline or windowless version?

3. Serial port moniotoring tool

4. Question about iso and bin files

5. Null comparison

6. general iso image files question???

7. Monitor - Viewable Area

8. img versus iso file question??

9. Mac files on ISO 9660 question

10. Question about iso and bin files

11. QUESTION on CDRWin Burning a ISO file to CD.

12. ISO Image file question