DVD Rom

Post by Jersey Gir » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 07:34:39

I just got a new DVD burner and all the functions work except the writing.

I can use it as a drive, can play all manner of media in it, but if I try to
burn a CD it says there is no disc in the destination drive.  It worked a
couple of times at first.

I've racked my brains, but can't figure this out.

1. DVD-RW to be read as normal DVD in DVD-ROM players?

According to the recent PC Magazine I was just reading an hour ago, the
consortium --Hewlett-Packard, Mitsubishi, Philips, Ricoh, Sony, and
Yamaha-- which broke ranks with the DVD-RAM people to create the
Phase-Change Rewritable DVD+RW format, has said that DVD+RW will be read
as normal DVD (i.e. DVD-ROM) in DVD-ROM readers.  "Although it is too
soon to know for certain, it appears that these new
specifications are designed so that existing DVD-ROM drives will be able
to read both DVD+RW and MMVF disks as if they were standard DVD disk."
This is from http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/features/dvd/_intro2.htm

If this is so, then DVD-RW --whose first units are expected to be under
a thousand dollars (perhaps significantly less)-- would be able to copy
all sorts of things to DVD (cd-roms, DVD-movies) in theory.

Anybody have more info on this, or are we all in the dark until late
1998 when things actually start appearing?

Gabriel

**I am posting from a public computer cluster, so please understand that
the username listed (kiosk something) is not my username, which is given
just above.

2. ISP Subsidy? Yes

3. DVD-ROM drive won't read CD's/DVD's/CD-ROMS anymore!

4. HELP ME PLEASE !!!!! - HP Scanejet 6250c ADF probs

5. DVD/CD-RW combo drive -=vs=- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive

6. Twisted-pair vs thinwire

7. Basic question about DVD+Rx burners -- Can they be read by normal DVD-Roms

8. Retrieving mail from other Mail Programs

9. DVD ROM only reads DVD's not CD's

10. Does the DVD-ROM (DVD-104) support DMA ?

11. Is a PCI card required to play DVD Movies on DVD-ROM??

12. CD/DVD Diagnostic has problem with Liteon DVD-ROM LTD163