mp3 text info doesnt agree with song

Post by jim sturt » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:46:30

hi,

im new at making music cds.

i have a a program called mp3pro from ahead(nero).

i have inserted several music cds to have them converted to mp3s to burn
later.

the problem seems to be recognition & association of the song-text info.

for example on a disk with 20 songs most show up named like 'various
artists - the GROUP the SONG.mp3' but (various artists - the cuff links
tracy.mp3).

but when i play the song with windows media player i will hear something
else from the album, like the classics IV doing 'traces'.

i can rename the mp3 file to be the correct info, but the media player
window shows the original erroneous info, so that is confusing.  is there
someway to change the 'embedded' text info that is a property of the mp3
file?

i tried using windows media player to do this, it does show the artist/song
info as a property but they are dimmed out and not changeable with it, i
guess.

thanks.
--
Jim

comp.publish.cdrom.software

mp3 text info doesnt agree with song

Post by Graham Mayo » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:35:57

Sounds like you need an mp3 tag editor - I particularly like Dr. Tag
http://www.asterius.org/en/

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
 Graham Mayor

> hi,

> im new at making music cds.

> i have a a program called mp3pro from ahead(nero).

> i have inserted several music cds to have them converted to mp3s to
> burn later.

> the problem seems to be recognition & association of the song-text
> info.

> for example on a disk with 20 songs most show up named like 'various
> artists - the GROUP the SONG.mp3' but (various artists - the cuff
> links tracy.mp3).

> but when i play the song with windows media player i will hear
> something else from the album, like the classics IV doing 'traces'.

> i can rename the mp3 file to be the correct info, but the media player
> window shows the original erroneous info, so that is confusing.  is
> there someway to change the 'embedded' text info that is a property
> of the mp3 file?

> i tried using windows media player to do this, it does show the
> artist/song info as a property but they are dimmed out and not
> changeable with it, i guess.

> thanks.

mp3 text info doesnt agree with song

Post by jim sturt » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:27:46

hi graham,

thanks for the quick reply.

it seems like there are websites that have all the info on an album/cd
stored on them for xreferencing.  can the tag editors use this info, once
pointed to the correct file to fix, to update the various fields and
ancilliary info besides song title and who is doing it?

thanks.

jim

> Sounds like you need an mp3 tag editor - I particularly like Dr. Tag
> http://www.asterius.org/en/

> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<>
>  Graham Mayor
> <>>< ><<> ><<>

> > hi,

> > im new at making music cds.

> > i have a a program called mp3pro from ahead(nero).

> > i have inserted several music cds to have them converted to mp3s to
> > burn later.

> > the problem seems to be recognition & association of the song-text
> > info.

> > for example on a disk with 20 songs most show up named like 'various
> > artists - the GROUP the SONG.mp3' but (various artists - the cuff
> > links tracy.mp3).

> > but when i play the song with windows media player i will hear
> > something else from the album, like the classics IV doing 'traces'.

> > i can rename the mp3 file to be the correct info, but the media player
> > window shows the original erroneous info, so that is confusing.  is
> > there someway to change the 'embedded' text info that is a property
> > of the mp3 file?

> > i tried using windows media player to do this, it does show the
> > artist/song info as a property but they are dimmed out and not
> > changeable with it, i guess.

> > thanks.

mp3 text info doesnt agree with song

Post by Graham Mayo » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:24:19

If you use a ripping application, like EAC www.exactaudiocopy.de, that will
read text where it exists on a source disc or access an on-line database
where it doesn't, the tracknames are recorded. The compression options of
EAC (used in conjunction with the Lame decoder) provide for configurable Tag
entries . The editor I mentioned is a tool for manipulating tag entries.
Once you have ripped the tracks, on-line databases are of no further use to
you and you would have to edit or add the tags manually, if they were not
present.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
 Graham Mayor

> hi graham,

> thanks for the quick reply.

> it seems like there are websites that have all the info on an album/cd
> stored on them for xreferencing.  can the tag editors use this info,
> once pointed to the correct file to fix, to update the various fields
> and ancillary info besides song title and who is doing it?

> thanks.

> jim

>> Sounds like you need an mp3 tag editor - I particularly like Dr. Tag
>> http://www.asterius.org/en/

>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<>
>>  Graham Mayor
>> <>>< ><<> ><<>

>>> hi,

>>> im new at making music cds.

>>> i have a a program called mp3pro from ahead(nero).

>>> i have inserted several music cds to have them converted to mp3s to
>>> burn later.

>>> the problem seems to be recognition & association of the song-text
>>> info.

>>> for example on a disk with 20 songs most show up named like 'various
>>> artists - the GROUP the SONG.mp3' but (various artists - the cuff
>>> links tracy.mp3).

>>> but when i play the song with windows media player i will hear
>>> something else from the album, like the classics IV doing 'traces'.

>>> i can rename the mp3 file to be the correct info, but the media
>>> player window shows the original erroneous info, so that is
>>> confusing.  is there someway to change the 'embedded' text info
>>> that is a property of the mp3 file?

>>> i tried using windows media player to do this, it does show the
>>> artist/song info as a property but they are dimmed out and not
>>> changeable with it, i guess.

>>> thanks.

mp3 text info doesnt agree with song

Post by Rui S » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:22:17

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:24:19 +0100, "Graham Mayor"

>Once you have ripped the tracks, on-line databases are of no further use to
>you and you would have to edit or add the tags manually, if they were not
>present.

This is not quite true: there are applications like Psychic MP3
(freeware, but no longer developed) which can look up the mp3's in a
folder on freedb.freedb.org and retireve the respective filenames and
tags.

--
To reply by e-mail please replace the underscore with a dot.

Post by Graham Mayo » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:03:40

> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:24:19 +0100, "Graham Mayor"

>> Once you have ripped the tracks, on-line databases are of no further
>> use to you and you would have to edit or add the tags manually, if
>> they were not present.

> This is not quite true: there are applications like Psychic MP3
> (freeware, but no longer developed) which can look up the mp3's in a
> folder on freedb.freedb.org and retireve the respective filenames and
> tags.

Hmmmm. I hadn't come across that one - available for download currently at
http://www.smooth.dk/files/PsychicMP3_v2.0.exe
however, I ripped a disc to mp3, without titling the tracks (as in the
original question), an album that is in the on-line database. Psychic mp3
hadn't a clue what the album was. It wasn't even listed in the multi-choice.
Maybe that's why development has been discontinued? Pity - it looked a neat
bit of programming. In any case, it would have been quicker to re-rip the
file, checking the trackname data before ripping.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
 Graham Mayor

mp3 text info doesnt agree with song

Post by Rui S » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:53:59

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:03:40 +0100, "Graham Mayor"

[...]

Quote:>however, I ripped a disc to mp3, without titling the tracks (as in the
>original question), an album that is in the on-line database. Psychic mp3
>hadn't a clue what the album was. It wasn't even listed in the multi-choice.

I have been relatively successful in using Psychic for a month or so:
most of the time it retrieves the info without further help, sometimes
you have to use the search and often it's useful to edit the default
keywords offered by Psychic for that particular album but eventually I
ended up with the correct album maybe 95% of the time, so it's been
quite helpful overall.

Quote:>Maybe that's why development has been discontinued? Pity - it looked a neat
>bit of programming. In any case, it would have been quicker to re-rip the
>file, checking the trackname data before ripping.

Which is not an option if the mp3's were retrieved off the net (I know
this is not the case of the OP).

Anyway, I believe there are other applications performing this task,
among them being "eags on" (freeware) and also Tag&Rename and Abander
TagControl (both commercial). I haven't tried these so I cannot
comment on them.

--
To reply by e-mail please replace the underscore with a dot.

1. What is best solution-Plextor recording MP3 to CDR poorly on some songs, CD-R, pcumming

What is best solution-Plextor recording MP3 to CDR poorly on some
songs, CD-R, pcumming

I have a Compaq Deskpro PIII, 800MHZ PC, 256MB RAM. I have a Plextor
CD-RW internal drive as a slave on the same channel as the CD drive.
The Plextor is IDE and is the 12/10/32A unit.
I have the latest firmware for it. I also have Plextor Manager 2000
software to burn CD's but I prefer to use Adaptex/Roxio EZ CD Creator
version 4.05 (latest update) which also came with the unit.

I have some Memorex CD-R's, some Mitsui's, Memorex Music CD-R's, and
the brand that came with the CD-R (Taiyo or something close).

Okay, I play my CD-R in my Nissan Maxima which is one year old.
However I do not think the problem lies there, as these same issues
occur when playing on my Aiwa Mini Stereo Unit or my Walkman.

I ahve also cleaned my CD players one time after this occurred
thinking that might help. Did not help.

Process/Problem:
I download MP3 files
I convert them to WAV with Cool Edit 2000 to make the processing
easier for the PC when I burn the files to CD.

I then test each song I want to burn by playing the (WAV's) beginning
and ensuring it can play the endof the song. I do not listen to the
entire song.
I do check it length as well.

I then use Easy CD Creator version 4.05 (with the latest update on
Roxio website) and burn at about 8x speed. The CD's are rated to
handle above this.

When burning I NEVER touch my PC or perform other tasks.

I play in my car (usually) and some songs play a few seconds and then
will skip immediately to the next song. Some will play perfectly. I
would say out of about 15 songs on a CD that I burn, I will get 1-2
glitches.

So what are my options?
1. Burn slower?
2. Use better media? What?
3. Use a different burn program (but remember I am burning WAV to the
CD since I have already cvonverted them)
4. Pray?
5. Get used to it, that is life?

Thanks for any help. I trust replies to this will help others.

Sincerely, Peter

2. Opinions: Canon BJC-4000 and BJ600e ink jet printers

3. Converting MP3 songs on my hard drive to CD playable on car stereo

4. Sendmail help needed

5. which is the best format to save songs, wav, mp3 ?

6. Scanning software

7. Songs on a CD to mp3 ...?

8. Sum to Arrays

9. Cd Ripper - What is a good CD Ripper to make MP3 Songs??????????

10. Lite-On CD-RW-Free Authorized MP3 Songs

11. How can I use Winamp to write mp3's with Cross fading inbetween each song?

12. What is best solution-Plextor recording MP3 to CDR poorly on some songs, CD-R, pcumming

13. EZCD 5 - Lost Artist/Song Info on Audio CDs