Another Roxio Question, re speed selection

Another Roxio Question, re speed selection

Post by Kami » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:05:47

Sorry, I forgot to ask this:

With Roxio Easy CD Creator, the software always defaults to the fastest speed.
I'm still using 24X CD-R's.  I manually select 24X for the max. speed.  Is this
necessary, or will the software realize the speed of the CD?

Thanks again.
Kami

--
email to furpods at mindspring dot com

Post by Mike Richte » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 05:47:35

> Sorry, I forgot to ask this:

> With Roxio Easy CD Creator, the software always defaults to the fastest speed.
> I'm still using 24X CD-R's.  I manually select 24X for the max. speed.  Is this
> necessary, or will the software realize the speed of the CD?

By default, the software will select the highest speed that the ATIP of
the disc, the firmware of the drive and the job you are doing will
allow. You cannot force ECDC to try a higher speed. Under most
circumstances, you can tell it to use a lower one.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Post by Kami » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:37:11

>> With Roxio Easy CD Creator, the software always defaults to the fastest speed.
>> I'm still using 24X CD-R's.  I manually select 24X for the max. speed.  Is this
>> necessary, or will the software realize the speed of the CD?

>By default, the software will select the highest speed that the ATIP of
>the disc, the firmware of the drive and the job you are doing will
>allow. You cannot force ECDC to try a higher speed. Under most
>circumstances, you can tell it to use a lower one.

>Mike

Which is what I did, i.e., select the slower speed, the one which matched the
CD.  But you're seeing that it wasn't necessary, correct?  (Just confirming.)

Kami

--

Post by Mike Richte » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:36:14

>>>With Roxio Easy CD Creator, the software always defaults to the fastest speed.
>>>I'm still using 24X CD-R's.  I manually select 24X for the max. speed.  Is this
>>>necessary, or will the software realize the speed of the CD?

>>By default, the software will select the highest speed that the ATIP of
>>the disc, the firmware of the drive and the job you are doing will
>>allow. You cannot force ECDC to try a higher speed. Under most
>>circumstances, you can tell it to use a lower one.

>>Mike

> Which is what I did, i.e., select the slower speed, the one which matched the
> CD.  But you're seeing that it wasn't necessary, correct?  (Just confirming.)

It is often true that a vendor's "16x", "24x" and higher-speed discs are
identical except for the number on the package. Where the drive
manufacturer has tested the medium and has set a maximum speed in the
firmware, you may use that safely.

In other words, it will not try to write a disc which it recognizes at
more than the highest speed it believes appropriate. You may be able to
select 24x, but it will not use that speed if it knows better. If it
does not know the medium, it will use a default max speed.

Two points on this: the drive cannot read the package; the ATIP of a
write-once blank is unlikely to specify a max speed.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Another Roxio Question, re speed selection

Post by Kami » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:36:50

Quote:>>>>With Roxio Easy CD Creator, the software always defaults to the fastest speed.

>>>By default, the software will select the highest speed that the ATIP of
>>>the disc, the firmware of the drive and the job you are doing will
>>>allow. You cannot force ECDC to try a higher speed. Under most
>>>circumstances, you can tell it to use a lower one.

>>>Mike

>> Which is what I did, i.e., select the slower speed, the one which matched the
>> CD.  But you're seeing that it wasn't necessary, correct?  (Just confirming.)

>It is often true that a vendor's "16x", "24x" and higher-speed discs are
>identical except for the number on the package. Where the drive
>manufacturer has tested the medium and has set a maximum speed in the
>firmware, you may use that safely.

>In other words, it will not try to write a disc which it recognizes at
>more than the highest speed it believes appropriate. You may be able to
>select 24x, but it will not use that speed if it knows better. If it
>does not know the medium, it will use a default max speed.

>Two points on this: the drive cannot read the package; the ATIP of a
>write-once blank is unlikely to specify a max speed.

>Mike

All I want to know is if I need to change the default 48X in the Easy CD Creator
dialog box to 24X for a 24X CD.  Please, just Yes or No.

Thanks.
Kami

--
email to furpods at mindspring dot com

Another Roxio Question, re speed selection

Post by Robert Collett » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:06:37

Yes, you must manually set the speed.  Very few CDR's have the maximum
write speed listed in the ATIP (unlike CDRW disks which generally do
have this information), so the writer usually has no way of knowing what
the maximum speed is that the disk is certifiied for.

Bob Collette

>All I want to know is if I need to change the default 48X in the Easy CD Creator
>dialog box to 24X for a 24X CD.  Please, just Yes or No.

>Thanks.
>Kami

Another Roxio Question, re speed selection

Post by Kami » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 03:25:03

Thanks much.
Kami

>Yes, you must manually set the speed.  Very few CDR's have the maximum
>write speed listed in the ATIP (unlike CDRW disks which generally do
>have this information), so the writer usually has no way of knowing what
>the maximum speed is that the disk is certifiied for.

>Bob Collette

>>All I want to know is if I need to change the default 48X in the Easy CD Creator
>>dialog box to 24X for a 24X CD.  Please, just Yes or No.

--
email to furpods at mindspring dot com

1. Read Speed Selection in NERO

I have a Creative CD 4834 (48x).
In NERO you can select the read speed, but I can only choose between
8x (audio) and 48x (data).
Is it possible that i can change it somewhere to change the speed in more
steps (1x, 2x, 3x ....)?

2. Samba Shared directory

3. Nesting Shapes

4. question on software selection

5. Mentor Graphics Touts Y2K Compliance

6. Roxio, What a Joke - "0.9x" DAE Speed Bug Returns (dae)

7. Object Technology User's Group (OTUG)

8. Roxio, Roxio. Won't even start now.....

9. Roxio Easy CD Creator Question (How many more can we handle?)

10. Question for adrian @roxio

11. Some observations and questions about Adaptec (Roxio)

12. Question for Roxio