JVC XR-W2010 Failures

Post by J. Sidot » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I purchased the JVC XR-W2010 CD-R around November of 1996.  I had tried
a number of different software packages including the software supplied
by JVC each with varying degrees of success.  The unit seemed to always
report track following errors. All in all, I made more coasters than
useable discs.  By April of 1997 the 2010 was dead.  I contacted JVC and
they agreed to replace the unit.

I had better luck with the replacement but my luck has finally run out.
Since it is not quite 1 year since I received the replacement I
contacted JVC again.  This time the drive is reporting Track Following
Errors and Laser Failure.  The Tech at JVC tells me the drive is dead.

JVC has told me that the drive is now "Out of Warranty" and if I wish to
have it replaced it's going to cost around $350.00!  It's about $225.00
for them to replace the drive PLUS they would charge me a $120.00 "Out
Of Warranty Fee!!"  Needless to say I told them FORGET IT.  I can buy a
brand new drive for that kind of money!  They have a hell-of-a-lot of
nerve charging an out of warranty fee on a drive that's died twice in a
year-and-a-half.

I've been looking around on the 'net and I seem to be finding that the
2010 has a rather poor reputation and that the firmware is reported to
be "buggy."  See the following:

http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/FAQ05.html  under the JVC
entry

also

ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/fa/fadden/jvc-prob.txt

I would very much like to hear from other 2010 owners as to their
experiences with this particular unit.

Thanks in advance.

J. Sidoti

JVC XR-W2010 Failures

Post by Fringe Ryd » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I've had mine for a while, burnt perhaps 25 data and audio disks.  Never one
coaster.  I've used three different packages for this.

I think perhaps one reason mine hasn't been any problem is that I did not use
the controller that came with it, instead using a top-of-the-line Adaptec.

Regards

>I purchased the JVC XR-W2010 CD-R around November of 1996.  I had tried
>a number of different software packages including the software supplied
>by JVC each with varying degrees of success.  The unit seemed to always
>report track following errors. All in all, I made more coasters than
>useable discs.  By April of 1997 the 2010 was dead.  I contacted JVC and
>they agreed to replace the unit.

>I had better luck with the replacement but my luck has finally run out.
>Since it is not quite 1 year since I received the replacement I
>contacted JVC again.  This time the drive is reporting Track Following
>Errors and Laser Failure.  The Tech at JVC tells me the drive is dead.

>JVC has told me that the drive is now "Out of Warranty" and if I wish to
>have it replaced it's going to cost around $350.00!  It's about $225.00
>for them to replace the drive PLUS they would charge me a $120.00 "Out
>Of Warranty Fee!!"  Needless to say I told them FORGET IT.  I can buy a
>brand new drive for that kind of money!  They have a hell-of-a-lot of
>nerve charging an out of warranty fee on a drive that's died twice in a
>year-and-a-half.

>I've been looking around on the 'net and I seem to be finding that the
>2010 has a rather poor reputation and that the firmware is reported to
>be "buggy."  See the following:

>http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/FAQ05.html  under the JVC
>entry

>also

>ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/fa/fadden/jvc-prob.txt

>I would very much like to hear from other 2010 owners as to their
>experiences with this particular unit.

>Thanks in advance.

>J. Sidoti

--- To reply, remove the spam-protectors (deletethis, ignorethis) from my 'From:' line ---

JVC XR-W2010 Failures

Post by John Nav » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.publish.cdrom.hardware]

>I purchased the JVC XR-W2010 CD-R around November of 1996.  I had tried
>a number of different software packages including the software supplied
>by JVC each with varying degrees of success.  The unit seemed to always
>report track following errors. All in all, I made more coasters than
>useable discs.  By April of 1997 the 2010 was dead.  I contacted JVC and
>they agreed to replace the unit.

>I had better luck with the replacement but my luck has finally run out.
>Since it is not quite 1 year since I received the replacement I
>contacted JVC again.  This time the drive is reporting Track Following
>Errors and Laser Failure.  The Tech at JVC tells me the drive is dead.

>JVC has told me that the drive is now "Out of Warranty" and if I wish to
>have it replaced it's going to cost around $350.00!  It's about $225.00
>for them to replace the drive PLUS they would charge me a $120.00 "Out
>Of Warranty Fee!!"  Needless to say I told them FORGET IT.  I can buy a
>brand new drive for that kind of money!  They have a hell-of-a-lot of
>nerve charging an out of warranty fee on a drive that's died twice in a
>year-and-a-half.

>I've been looking around on the 'net and I seem to be finding that the
>2010 has a rather poor reputation and that the firmware is reported to
>be "buggy."  See the following:

>http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/FAQ05.html  under the JVC
>entry

>also

>ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/fa/fadden/jvc-prob.txt

>I would very much like to hear from other 2010 owners as to their
>experiences with this particular unit.

The 2010 has a number of well-known problems and defects.  See my periodic

--
Best regards,

JVC XR-W2010 Failures

Post by Judith Nicholl » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I can only manage to consistently write CDs with my JVC W2010 with
packet-writing software, but finally one of the packages I tried said what
the error is -- it reported SCSI error.  It always happens at the end of a
session.  So now I have to try to figure out if the problem is termination
or what.  I have an Adaptec PCI SCSI board with the internal JVC and a
scanner.  I have had other trouble with this SCSI board.  When I attached
both of my scanners the 2nd scanner did have SCSI errors, but I thought
maybe the cables were too long.  So I put the 2nd scanner on another
computer.

Judy Nicholls

>I purchased the JVC XR-W2010 CD-R around November of 1996.  I had tried
>a number of different software packages including the software supplied
>by JVC each with varying degrees of success.  The unit seemed to always
>report track following errors. All in all, I made more coasters than
>useable discs.  By April of 1997 the 2010 was dead.  I contacted

snip

JVC XR-W2010 Failures

Post by Rick Cos » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I purchased the JVC XR-W2010 CD-R around November of 1996.  I had tried
>a number of different software packages including the software supplied
>by JVC each with varying degrees of success.  The unit seemed to always
>report track following errors. All in all, I made more coasters than
>useable discs.  By April of 1997 the 2010 was dead.  I contacted JVC and
>they agreed to replace the unit.

>I would very much like to hear from other 2010 owners as to their
>experiences with this particular unit.

>Thanks in advance.

>J. Sidoti

Hmm.. guess I have been lucky - I bought mine before reading all the
negative press - it was pretty poor with the bundled cheap scsi card.
Bought a 2940 and all is well.. Been burning for over a year now with
few problems - almost none if I make an image first.... Sometimes I
almost wish it would die so I would have a good excuse for buying one
of the faster ones......

JVC XR-W2010 Failures

Post by DKS » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I bought the same unit from Hi Val. Lots of problems. I have sent it back to
Hi Val. Waiting to hear from them.

DKS

>>I purchased the JVC XR-W2010 CD-R around November of 1996.  I had tried
>>a number of different software packages including the software supplied
>>by JVC each with varying degrees of success.  The unit seemed to always
>>report track following errors. All in all, I made more coasters than
>>useable discs.  By April of 1997 the 2010 was dead.  I contacted JVC and
>>they agreed to replace the unit.

>>I would very much like to hear from other 2010 owners as to their
>>experiences with this particular unit.

>>Thanks in advance.

>>J. Sidoti

>Hmm.. guess I have been lucky - I bought mine before reading all the
>negative press - it was pretty poor with the bundled cheap scsi card.
>Bought a 2940 and all is well.. Been burning for over a year now with
>few problems - almost none if I make an image first.... Sometimes I
>almost wish it would die so I would have a good excuse for buying one
>of the faster ones......

JVC XR-W2010 Failures

Post by Steve Robertso » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I purchased the JVC XR-W2010 CD-R around November of 1996.  I had tried
> a number of different software packages including the software supplied
> by JVC each with varying degrees of success.  The unit seemed to always
> report track following errors. All in all, I made more coasters than
> useable discs.  By April of 1997 the 2010 was dead.  I contacted JVC and
> they agreed to replace the unit.

> I had better luck with the replacement but my luck has finally run out.
> Since it is not quite 1 year since I received the replacement I
> contacted JVC again.  This time the drive is reporting Track Following
> Errors and Laser Failure.  The Tech at JVC tells me the drive is dead.

> JVC has told me that the drive is now "Out of Warranty" and if I wish to
> have it replaced it's going to cost around $350.00!  It's about $225.00
> for them to replace the drive PLUS they would charge me a $120.00 "Out
> Of Warranty Fee!!"  Needless to say I told them FORGET IT.  I can buy a
> brand new drive for that kind of money!  They have a hell-of-a-lot of
> nerve charging an out of warranty fee on a drive that's died twice in a
> year-and-a-half.

> I've been looking around on the 'net and I seem to be finding that the
> 2010 has a rather poor reputation and that the firmware is reported to
> be "buggy."  See the following:

> http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/FAQ05.html  under the JVC
> entry

> also

> ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/fa/fadden/jvc-prob.txt

> I would very much like to hear from other 2010 owners as to their
> experiences with this particular unit.

> Thanks in advance.

> J. Sidoti

Mine made 1 coaster with GEAR. Then I got CDRWIN. I've never made
another coaster or had any problem whatsoever. I use the cheap PEL SCSI
card that came with it. However, based on many postings I've seen here,
I've been lucky.

Good luck,
Steve Robertson
--
To get my real e-mail address, remove the characters "zzz" from my
address.

JVC XR-W2010 Failures

Post by a.. » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>I purchased the JVC XR-W2010 CD-R around November of 1996.  I had tried
>>a number of different software packages including the software supplied
>>by JVC each with varying degrees of success.  The unit seemed to always
>>report track following errors. All in all, I made more coasters than
>>useable discs.  By April of 1997 the 2010 was dead.  I contacted JVC and
>>they agreed to replace the unit.

>>I would very much like to hear from other 2010 owners as to their
>>experiences with this particular unit.

>>Thanks in advance.

>>J. Sidoti

I have a Pinnacle RCD5040 which is a 2010-clone. The "track following
errors" are common to me too, but I have solved it. I bought some
grease (heat resistant etc... Also used on RC cars/boats etc.) and
used it on all moveable parts in the recorder. I also cleaned the
lens. Now the CD-R is working 100% - haven't had a error since.

If you want to know how to do this, go to:

http://www.noord.bart.nl/~januzz/

Happy to help you.

1. JVC CD-R what's the difference between an XR-W2010 and XR-W2012?

I've recently got a DynaTek CDM240 kit which contained a JVC XR-W2012
drive. The SCSI software reports the drive as being an XR-W2010
revision 1.51 but the external label definately says 2012.

Another difference is that all the pictures I've seen of 2010 drives
have the letters CD-R in the middle of the drive tray, mine is blank.

Regards,
Jason.

"When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast
 is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I
 propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat; the two  will
 hover, spinning inches above the ground..."

2. Export (import) restrictions?

3. FAQ: What's wrong with the JVC XR-W2010?

4. smbstatus dumps core on a Solaris X86

5. Having Problems Databinding a ListBox and getting the selected Item

6. Secure Password Authentication. Check Account Info???